Lysa: Evil, or just Crazy in Love?

Kaguya

I just finished ASOS and well.......DAMN

That scene with Lysa, Sansa and LF was beyond wicked.

What are your opinions on her after that scene? Do you believe she was a terrible person for the stuff she admitted doing or do you just believe she was madly in love which clouded her judgement?

No spoilers please...

I think Lysa is a pitiable figure really. She's implied to have always been Catelyn Tully's ugly little sister (The Jan Brady of the family, basically) and deeply jealous of her. There was always something messed up with her from the beginning since she goes out of her way to rape Littlefinger when he's recovering from his duel and invents a grand romance in her head to justify it. That did neither her nor Lord Baelish's sanity any favors.

Then, now a "shamed woman" after her father forcibly aborted her pregnancy, she gets married off to Jon Arryn whose old enough to be her grandfather. It's also doubly nasty because the only reason she's married to him is she's already proven fertile. I'm inclined to think she was born with mental problems to begin with, maybe a kind of schizophrenia or perhaps just a kind of narcissism, but the situation didn't help her.

So she was easy prey for Littlefinger's later manipulations to turn her into a weapon against her hated husband and play into fantasies of a romance with Baelish and a new father for her son.

Verdict: Mentally-ill and twisted but not without sympathy.

Yeah, she does horrible, cruel things but at the end of the day she was a deeply wounded person whose traumas were exploited every step of the way by an utterly evil arch-manipulator, and while they're her mistakes it's with the latter that I'd lay most of the blame.

i thought it was interesting when she arrives on the fingers and petyr's banging her out, when everyone can hear them blatantly, and even the harpist is trying to play over them.

the interesting part is this: she says, "oh petyr oh petyr, put ANOTHER baby in me" or something to that effect.

was she identifying baelish as the kid's father? or just saying put another one, in general.

could petyr baelish be the father?

i thought it was interesting when she arrives on the fingers and petyr's banging her out, when everyone can hear them blatantly, and even the harpist is trying to play over them.

the interesting part is this: she says, "oh petyr oh petyr, put ANOTHER baby in me" or something to that effect.

was she identifying baelish as the kid's father? or just saying put another one, in general.

could petyr baelish be the father?

The answer to that is in the Cat chapters where "Tansy" is discussed.

Archived