Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

Bloody post never posted!

I don't think Whispers has the city, occupation and face to go off though? [spoiler] Will hasn't let him have access to the rest of the cluster. If Whispers did have that info then he could hire a PI and they'd probably crack it. Although his ability to not find Nomi at home suggests they aren't as shit-hot an organisation as they'd have us believe :P

He only knows that info about Nomi and Riley [/spoiler]

I think Kala would be easiest to find if the temple of Ganesha is an iconic one (which from watching the behind the scenes, I wouldn't be surprised if it is).

Wolfy I think would be very hard at this point.

Lito is very easy if you get any details or his face.

Capheus might not sound easy just from "bus driver in Nairobi", but the Van Damm thing sounds like he's ended up pretty famous so if Whispers got that I think he would be relatively easy to find. I doubt they'd have government help there though, given Capheus is in with the dictator now.

Sun is actually probably super safe as long as he doesn't get her face. Inside of a prison isn't very distinctive, and even with the brief burst of coverage her face isn't well known.

That's all based on current situations of course.

I guess it depends on how big the conspiracy is. It's been a few weeks since I binged it but it seemed like the conspiracy is pretty extensive?

Once you know someone's city, occupation, and face is it that impossible to find them given what we saw of the conspiracy's power in S1?

I don't know how easy it is to find someone. From what I can tell, Jonas actively sought Will and Nomi, going as far as staring at Nomi while she was at the Pride Parade. He also knew Will's name when they first met at the convenient store. I think that may have been a result of Jonas's closeness to Darryl Hannah. Which suggests that she knew her "children" before birthing them, their names and everything. Which poses the question: if Jonas knows all of them, and he is currently in captivity and being tortured for information, does Whispers in turn know all of them? Or, did Darryl Hannah only reveal the ones in North America so that Jonas could find them, so that they could warn the others and protect one another?

Bloody post never posted!

I don't think Whispers has the city, occupation and face to go off though? [spoiler] Will hasn't let him have access to the rest of the cluster. If Whispers did have that info then he could hire a PI and they'd probably crack it. Although his ability to not find Nomi at home suggests they aren't as shit-hot an organisation as they'd have us believe :P

He only knows that info about Nomi and Riley [/spoiler]

And I think he knows about them because they were both hospitalised, meaning their "condition" was entered into some kind of system. BPO probably has feelers for whatever it is the sensates have. So when the medical records check some of the boxes, Whispers is alerted.

And I think he knows about them because they were both hospitalised, meaning their "condition" was entered into some kind of system. BPO probably has feelers for whatever it is the sensates have. So when the medical records check some of the boxes, Whispers is alerted.

Ah good catch!

I don't know how easy it is to find someone. From what I can tell, Jonas actively sought Will and Nomi, going as far as staring at Nomi while she was at the Pride Parade. He also knew Will's name when they first met at the convenient store. I think that may have been a result of Jonas's closeness to Darryl Hannah. Which suggests that she knew her "children" before birthing them, their names and everything. Which poses the question: if Jonas knows all of them, and he is currently in captivity and being tortured for information, does Whispers in turn know all of them? Or, did Darryl Hannah only reveal the ones in North America so that Jonas could find them, so that they could warn the others and protect one another?

That's a good point regarding Jonas and Whispers - we really need more info on that relationship. I guess Darryl Hannah tipped Jonas off about Will or maybe sent him the images of some of them? Still doesn't explain how whispers doesn't know.

Exactly. Nomi was getting lobotomised and I'm sure that brain-scan automatically pings Whispers group. Luckily none of the other cluster members have required a brain scan yet.

I'm not sure what birth rates are around the world but I guess a conspiracy can have a temp student do a search of birth records for people born around the world at 8am Greenwich meantime (assuming that's where 8am/pm was for their births). I imagine that's still a lot of people and birth records aren't tight across the world but i bet that can give you a list (within a 1hour time frame) for any births occurring in a hospital for a large portion of the world.

EDIT: A google search said 350,000 babies are born a day or 15000 an hour. I guess they aren't going to find them that way!

• 8 months later...

Bad news, no way of sugar coating it. Recasting of Capheus, refilming and delays.

I won't bother speculating and hope we get more details from the actor/Wachowskis at some point. I'll have to hope it was an issue with the actor simply because if it's the Wachowskis there could be more trouble down the road. I'd have thought contracts would have kept things going though.

I hope they refilm his scenes though as it would be too jarring in a binge series for the actor to change during episode 3. Then again the filming of this show is pretty complicated - do they still film "episodes" or do they film locations? It could be better/worse depending on whether they'd been filming at Capheus' location (presumably Nairobi). The report says Berlin so possibly not too disruptive in that they'll probably go back there for his scenes at the end.

Update: This link doesn't mind speculating as it reads into some tweets from Jamie Clayton .

That is bad news. And yeah, it feels weird saying it, but I hope it's more on the actor than the producers, else it bodes ill for the show (though it's not like people who behaved like complete bastards on set haven't been able to direct/produce critically acclaimed stuff).

51 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

That is bad news. And yeah, it feels weird saying it, but I hope it's more on the actor than the producers, else it bodes ill for the show (though it's not like people who behaved like complete bastards on set haven't been able to direct/produce critically acclaimed stuff).

Usually as long as both parties are professional the final product is fine. I think this is more likely with an over and done with film than a multi season tv show though.

50 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

That's terrible.  Yes, they do film by location, and it sounds like the problems occurred at the table read in Berlin and the next location in India.

Wonder if we'll see the show this year? It was already going to be an autumn/winter show by the sounds of things. I really can't see how they can escape a reshoot - you could maybe change actor from one episode to the next byt you can't have him swapping around within episodes (which the filming by location suggests).

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Bad news, no way of sugar coating it. Recasting of Capheus, refilming and delays.

I won't bother speculating and hope we get more details from the actor/Wachowskis at some point. I'll have to hope it was an issue with the actor simply because if it's the Wachowskis there could be more trouble down the road. I'd have thought contracts would have kept things going though.

I hope they refilm his scenes though as it would be too jarring in a binge series for the actor to change during episode 3. Then again the filming of this show is pretty complicated - do they still film "episodes" or do they film locations? It could be better/worse depending on whether they'd been filming at Capheus' location (presumably Nairobi). The report says Berlin so possibly not too disruptive in that they'll probably go back there for his scenes at the end.

Update: This link doesn't mind speculating as it reads into some tweets from Jamie Clayton .

They film by location. That's going to make a reshoot both difficult and expensive I think.

My immediate thought when I read about the disagreement was along the same lines of the speculation piece you linked too, fwiw

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

They film by location. That's going to make a reshoot both difficult and expensive I think.

My immediate thought when I read about the disagreement was along the same lines of the speculation piece you linked too, fwiw

They will pretty much have to book another slot in at the location they had filmed so costly and dependent on when they can get a slot in that studio.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

My thoughts when I read Jaime's tweets was that she sounded too happy for it to have been anything but bigotry

I'm trying to recall whether Capheus was in any of the orgy man on man scenes from season 1?  I'd be inclined to think an actor by definition of their profession could rise above any personal issues they may have with such a scene. Then again it all depends on how the actor was initially sold the character. I wouldn't blame an actor for refusing to do nude scenes if that hadn't been in the script when they signed on.

Now I'm speculating! But moreso on story as opposed to actual people.

The weird thing is "IF" it boils down to some (mild) homophobia, I'd be thinking they missed out on an interesting storyline. I mean, there's a chance that Capheus would actually be homophobic given Kenya's attititude towards LGBT. Same sex sexual acts are a crime there. So Capheus despite being a friendly guy may be resistant to such things because of his culture. That could have made for some interesting dynamics within the group and could have set up an interesting arc of acceptance. In a way having a story where Capheus is completely down with it is less interesting. I guess we will see when we finally get to see the season. It should be easy to pick out where the actor may have taken issue with the character. It could be he isn't in any (same)sex scenes and just that his story is marginalised or idiotic

49 minutes ago, red snow said:

They will pretty much have to book another slot in at the location they had filmed so costly and dependent on when they can get a slot in that studio.

I'm trying to recall whether Capheus was in any of the orgy man on man scenes from season 1?  I'd be inclined to think an actor by definition of their profession could rise above any personal issues they may have with such a scene. Then again it all depends on how the actor was initially sold the character. I wouldn't blame an actor for refusing to do nude scenes if that hadn't been in the script when they signed on.

Now I'm speculating! But moreso on story as opposed to actual people.

The weird thing is "IF" it boils down to some (mild) homophobia, I'd be thinking they missed out on an interesting storyline. I mean, there's a chance that Capheus would actually be homophobic given Kenya's attititude towards LGBT. Same sex sexual acts are a crime there. So Capheus despite being a friendly guy may be resistant to such things because of his culture. That could have made for some interesting dynamics within the group and could have set up an interesting arc of acceptance. In a way having a story where Capheus is completely down with it is less interesting. I guess we will see when we finally get to see the season. It should be easy to pick out where the actor may have taken issue with the character. It could be he isn't in any (same)sex scenes and just that his story is marginalised or idiotic

Neither Capheus or Kala appeared in the orgy. Nor did Sun iirc. 

Capheus' character last year avoided pretty much anything that was sexual or touched on LGBT issues (though he did have scenes with Nomi). 

I think there is a difference between an actor holding bigoted views and an actor portraying someone with bigoted views. The former is likely to cause issues on the set with others, and from those tweets I can't really see it being anything other 

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

If it was bigotry, why did it suddenly show up during the table read for season 2?

Seems like it has to be something else.

If it's bigotry, it may not have just suddenly showed up.  I'm reading between the lines of Jamie's tweets, of course, but it could have been an underlying problem that existed last season that came to the forefront when Lilly Wachowski was forced to come out last month.  

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

If it was bigotry, why did it suddenly show up during the table read for season 2?

Seems like it has to be something else.

I'm not saying it can't be, but that's the only thing I can picture myself being comfortable being openly glad about it like she was.  Given the issue was with a trans woman, and the actress making these comments is a trans woman, and trans issues have been pretty prominent in the media lately I'm not thinking the primary problem was homophobia either.  I don't know why it became an issue now, but the speculation about Lily being forced out may have something to do with it, maybe there were problems in the first season but nothing that rose to the level of them deciding they needed to recast, but escalated this season and resulted in something being said that couldn't be ignored. 

Or maybe its something else completely, and she just thought he was a shit actor and doesn't mind saying that...I very much doubt this though, the emotion coming through made it feel personal.

red snow - I don't think it could be explored in character like that, the characters have all been described as pansexual at least as sensates (clearly they weren't all that prior to their birth, and some of that lingers over) and more importantly the connection they are depicted as having is so profound that any trace of bigotry doesn't seem like it could remain between them.

Good luck to the newcomer stepping in Capheus shoes ! All my support to him, cause it must come with one hell of a pressure to incarnate an already existing character... Michiel Huisman was already quite well-known (or at least had some proper experience) before getting to play Daario so I assume he lived the recasting well, but for a complete beginner, it must be quite terrifying ! 

21 minutes ago, Arkash said:

Good luck to the newcomer stepping in Capheus shoes ! All my support to him, cause it must come with one hell of a pressure to incarnate an already existing character... Michiel Huisman was already quite well-known (or at least had some proper experience) before getting to play Daario so I assume he lived the recasting well, but for a complete beginner, it must be quite terrifying ! 

Especially given the energy the previous actor brought to the role. It's a tough one to  imitate. I'd almost be tempted, as a writer of the show, to have some story as a potential fixit eg Whispers is working him or he's showing signs of losing his personality in the others. I guess they can see how the replacement works before doing anything drastic.

57 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

If it's bigotry, it may not have just suddenly showed up.  I'm reading between the lines of Jamie's tweets, of course, but it could have been an underlying problem that existed last season that came to the forefront when Lilly Wachowski was forced to come out last month.  

If this season requires Capheus to have relations with a male sensate or even the character's friend, it may have shown up in the read through and he got indignant about it saying something offensive the other actors objected to. It could be he's hard to work with generally but whatever happened at the read through pushed them over.

Archived