Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, Ran said:

To my recollection, JMS has said he had much more limited involvement in season 2. I can't recall exactly where I saw it, but as I recall he basically indicated that he had been more hands-on because the Wachowskis were new to TV and wanted his advice as a former showrunner, but that Lana felt more than able of handling it for season 2.

It might be season 2 is his last? In his statement it sounded like he was making a point of challenging himself by trying some different formats and stated novels and plays. He usually sticks to his guns with these types of thing so it could be a few years before he returns to formats he's walked before. Maybe he'll have a go at computer games next?

The thing is he has probably left the wachowskis with a "bible" of where the show is going in terms of arcs etc. I'm pretty sure he said he had a several season arc mapped out (although we know from Babylon 5 such things aren't solid). Plus every episode in season 1 was co-written by him and the wachowskis so some of the dialogue, etc may be theirs anyhow. They seem to have a good working relationship so maybe JMS will help out if a season 3 is greenlit.

As far as I know, Straczynski is still very much hands-on on Sense8. It's not scriptwriting that he's dropped, it's working in comics. Looking at tweets and interviews with the cast, he's been on-set and on location a reasonable amount, and they've been able to reach him whenever needed so it sounds like he's still fully engaged. In fact, given his crazy writing speed (which seems to have picked back up since his eye surgery), writing "just" 12 episodes a year (remember he did 22 a year on Babylon 5) probably leaves him lots of time for other projects.

This is a recent interview where he still seems full-steam ahead on a load of projects.

The “Sense8” “cancellation rumors” are just clickbait by a handful of interconnected sites that use that sort of thing to drive traffic to their sites. (It’s not just us, they do this with a variety of shows.) When you get there you always find out that no, there’s no evidence of this or even any indication, they’re just looking for clicks. They were saying season 2 was canceled while we were right in the middle of shooting season two. They’re idiots and should be treated as such.

Interesting. JMS has an autobiography out with several publishers next month and he's also writing his first novel in 30 years. He's also doing the Rising Stars movie project.

Something that didn't come up is the status of Red Mars. I get the impression that when he quit, the project basically collapsed. A shame as he'd be a great fit for it.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Is it really a Xmas special?  I got the impression it's just the season premiere, then for some reason waiting a few weeks later to drop the rest of the season.

Jamie Clayton literally said it's ep 1.

I also assumed it was season 2 episode 1, though I haven't really made that clear the way I expressed it before. Seems a strange way to drop the episodes if true though. Not sure I see the logic

That's a great interview you linked, Wert. They should have that disclaimer from JMS regarding cancellation rumours posted on the website and covered by some bigger news sites so that the clickbait ones aren't top of google searches.

I thought it was the Wachowskis that were really the feelgood vibe to Sense8 (given that most of JMS's work is dark and a bit cynical - with underlying hope) but JMS is clearly in a positive place and I think that's seeped into his sense8 script.

Also good to have confirmation he isn't dropping TV. Seems like it's just comics but I have to admit his comic work had grown a little stale. I remember when I used to pick up anything by him whereas the last thing I picked up by him was "10 grand" mainly down to the art. I'd like to see the adaptions of "rising stars" and "midnight" nation that he mentions.

Ah, found the quote that I was thinking of:

During season one, the three of us (Lana, Lily and I) were all very much hands-on during writing, prep, production and post....

In season one, I brought in the television background to help get that season off the ground, and, once Lana had her TV land-legs, she felt that she should run season two as the filmmaker. So my direct involvement on season two was primarily during the writing stage. It’s now all down to Lana.

He's definitely indicating he's much less involved with the day-to-day than he was last season. He still wrote, but it's less of his show compared to the first season, and I don't think that's conducive to his getting much more notice or credit for his involvement, which was my main point when bringing this up.

Later he answers, when asked how different season 2 is for him:

Now that the writing is done, season two is really Lana’s show as she takes the bit in her teeth and runs with it. I keep an eye on production long-distance, checking dailies and the like, but primarily I’m now working on other projects.

• 1 month later...

BF has leveraged recent negotiations to include the attempted rewatching of this show together with the benefit of sobriety.

As if I wasn't suffering enough. To be fair, last time I attempted I was recovering from surgery and my patience was... limited.

31 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

BF has leveraged recent negotiations to include the attempted rewatching of this show together with the benefit of sobriety.

As if I wasn't suffering enough. To be fair, last time I attempted I was recovering from surgery and my patience was... limited.

:lol: 

4 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Accident

On 03/12/2016 at 10:31 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Ok, that's not showing up at all.  It's suppose to say: Christmas Special, December 23.  10 new episodes, May 5, 2017.

any word on what the christmas special is about? Is it just episode 1? Is it out of continuity as I can't really see how they can fit a special in with the main team given how the season ended. Or is it focusing on one of the older characters from the show? Lot's of questions.

I look forward to May.

6 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Alright, that dance routine during the wedding scene of episode 2 was totally awesome.

Holy shit! I'm 99% sure that bad dad cop is Cypher!!! He looks like Bill goddamn Burr. And it kinda works.

Joe Pantoliano. He's a friend of the Wachowskis and appeared in Bound and The Matrix (obviously).

8 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Alright, that dance routine during the wedding scene of episode 2 was totally awesome.

Holy shit! I'm 99% sure that bad dad cop is Cypher!!! He looks like Bill goddamn Burr. And it kinda works.

That was not the wedding :P you think a little thing like that was a big enough deal to be the wedding?!

The dance is awesome though, it is known.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

any word on what the christmas special is about? Is it just episode 1? Is it out of continuity as I can't really see how they can fit a special in with the main team given how the season ended. Or is it focusing on one of the older characters from the show? Lot's of questions.

I look forward to May.

All I know is it is 2 hours long, and then season 2 is 10 episodes more in the cluster.  Season one was 12 episodes though, so total.  Perhaps there were just so many changes between episode 2 and 3 (if we want to number them that way) that packaging them this way made sense to avoid being too jarring.  I imagine it'll be not at all light and fluffy.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a trailer for the special yet.

Only thing we got is:

The description provided for the Christmas Special leaves a lot to the imagination: “The journey continues as these eight singular hearts and minds weave in and out of each other’s lives finding deeper connections, learning darker, more desperate secrets about one another and struggling to identify with more than just oneself.”

Archived