Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

12 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

For the F***ing life of me, I don't understand why something with a massive scope like Game of Thrones can get its shit together and produce ten episodes a year.... and so many of these other shows can't....

Well, GOT has the advantage of the characters not being present in all the locations so they have a logistical advantage. Sense8 has to have 8 of the main cast present at all the locations - They have 8 locations to deal with which is still more than GOT.

I'm unaware of Weiss and Benioff having any major life-altering events that physical/chemical intervention occurring between seasons?

None of the main cast have quit the show forcing them to recast. Again, given the way the show is filmed (by location not episode) an actor leaving at location number 3 on the schedule not only has to be recast but the new actor has to have all the previous scenes featuring that character reshot. Even if Kit Harrington or Emilia Clarke quit the show (which would be a major headache) they wouldn't necessarily have to reshoot their scenes unless they quit mid-episode or the producers felt it was better to have all the episodes in the season feature the same actor for that character.

I'm sad we're having to wait so long for season 2 but given all the things that have happened and the nature of how the show is filmed - I'm not surprised or angry at the delay. Maybe upset that the guy playing Capheus left (irrespective of whos fault it was).

Wert stated on his blog that the Christmas special is simply the first two episodes of season 2. I'm guessing he had sources for that as he doesn't tend to make things up. I'll take that although having to wait until May for the rest will be painful. At least it will make sense continuity wise. The fact they have 2 episodes ready was slightly confusing given the aformentioned location filming of the show but I recall they wrapped up filming a while ago so it's perfectly plausible they could have done editing and post-production on two episodes and not have the rest completed.

18 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

This to me looks like it will be a more or less direct continuation from the finale of Season one. I suppose the question then is whether this will be a conclusion to that last episode of season one (which, while not really a cliffhanger, left Will and Riley in a pretty precarious position), or an introduction of sorts to season two. 

On 07/12/2016 at 2:34 AM, Martini Sigil said:

For the F***ing life of me, I don't understand why something with a massive scope like Game of Thrones can get its shit together and produce ten episodes a year.... and so many of these other shows can't....

Red Snow nailed it. Sense8 filmed in 9 different cities - the real, actual cities, not greenscreening London onto a backlot in Hawaii like they did for Lost - in 8 countries for Season 1. Season 2 ups that to 11 cities. The actors are not exclusively tied into Sense8, they're doing other stuff as well: Max Riemelt is a pretty big German actor, apparently, and Tuppence Middleton is doing a lot of stuff inthe UK. So availability is an issue. You've also got the problem of needing all the actors for all the locations, which GoT doesn't have. GoT can film three scenes in three countries simultaneously, but Sense8, generally speaking, can't.

In addition, HBO greenlit GoT based around the idea of it being 7+ seasons so they knew it'd have to be on every year and the everything is built around that idea. It runs Benioff & Weiss ragged and you can tell that they've had major problems being rushed and not planning things properly.

Sense8 will only be 5 seasons , so even at 18 months between seasons it'll still end before the end of 2021, which is not so bad. They don't need to rush as much. Straczynski is also working on other projects, and I'll be surprised if the Wachowskis leave it until after 2021 before making another movie (in fact, I suspect that also factors into the decision for the sisters to do different projects, as it allows them to set things up whilst still working on Sense8).

I am wondering on the chronology. Sense8 Season 1 featured the San Francisco Pride, which takes place at the end of June and the season happens over a fairly brief period of time (a couple of months max, maybe?). If the Christmas special actually takes place at Christmas, that suggests that quite a few months have passed between seasons.

Unless they just call it "a Christmas special" and actually the plot has nothing to do with Christmas at all.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I am wondering on the chronology. Sense8 Season 1 featured the San Francisco Pride, which takes place at the end of June and the season happens over a fairly brief period of time (a couple of months max, maybe?). If the Christmas special actually takes place at Christmas, that suggests that quite a few months have passed between seasons.

Unless they just call it "a Christmas special" and actually the plot has nothing to do with Christmas at all.

The xmas special of "Marco Polo" had nothing to do with xmas, so it may simply be a treat we get over xmas. I do think a xmas themed episode of sense8 would be really fun though and they should do one at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Excitement. Building. That has me very eager for this episode. So it looks like a continuation of the story. Set at Christmas.

Its been so long since season one I didn't even twig that Caphaeus was a different actor (or wouldn't if I hadn't read this thread)

I was a bit afraid when I saw that it was over 2 hours long, but I enjoyed it very much. The humor was particularly on point.

I still have some difficulty with Donna Bae's acting though. I just don't get it. I liked the new Capheus on the other hand. He doesn't have that constant likeable face like the previous one, but he does play the likeable Capheus very well when needed.

I feel like the show is contradicting its own rules though. Like how could other people than the sensates participate in the orgy? And in the fight scene at the end, how could each sensate fight a different enemy at the same time? Or maybe I just misread the scene somehow?

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I was a bit afraid when I saw that it was over 2 hours long, but I enjoyed it very much. The humor was particularly on point.

I still have some difficulty with Donna Bae's acting though. I just don't get it. I liked the new Capheus on the other hand. He doesn't have that constant likeable face like the previous one, but he does play the likeable Capheus very well when needed.

I feel like the show is contradicting its own rules though. Like how could other people than the sensates participate in the orgy? And in the fight scene at the end, how could each sensate fight a different enemy at the same time? Or maybe I just misread the scene somehow?

Issues with Doona Bae's acting? Really? I love her, think she is very talented. Especially when she got her birthday gift, she does a great job when she has emotional moments where she is trying to hold back. What is it you don't get? (This is a genuine question)

The orgy is simple. The other people don't participate, but we see (for example) Amanita because that is who Nomi is having sex with. Notice that she only appears in the US clips. Hernando only appears in the cubicle. They aren't involved in the sensate experience, but they are, depending on the location, present. (Interesting to note - this orgy featured everyone. Season one there was no Kala or Capheus or Sun.)

I'm only one hour into this so I can't address the fight point.

Loving this so far. New Capheus is still a good fit. And surely that was an intentional joke that winked at the recast, right? Whether it was or not, :lol: 

Kala and Wolfgang's bedroom shenanigans were also funny. 

48 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Kala and Wolfgang's bedroom shenanigans were also funny. 

The bedroom hijinks were Hilarious....perhaps my favorite scene in the special.... also, I agree with Doona's acting... I think that some people might be put off because she usually plays people who are sad.... but in the special, when she was laughing, smiling, it was great to watch...

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Issues with Doona Bae's acting? Really? I love her, think she is very talented. Especially when she got her birthday gift, she does a great job when she has emotional moments where she is trying to hold back. What is it you don't get? (This is a genuine question)

I really don't know. Some of the acting of the Korean/Japanese school completely eludes me in general. I'm often oblivious to the way they act. But that's just me.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The orgy is simple. The other people don't participate, but we see (for example) Amanita because that is who Nomi is having sex with. Notice that she only appears in the US clips. Hernando only appears in the cubicle. They aren't involved in the sensate experience, but they are, depending on the location, present. (Interesting to note - this orgy featured everyone. Season one there was no Kala or Capheus or Sun.)

I felt like some of the non sensates were "interacting" with different sensates in a way that would make it physically impossible. But maybe I'm just over reading into this. Doesn't matter.
(I missed Kala, was she really there?)

In a sense, the non sensates are interacting with the sensates.  When they are touching Neets, it's obviously happening through Jamie.  The visual of them all literally being in the same room interacting in the way we see on the screen is just meant to be a visual.  

ETA: Just to add, I'd expect someone like Neets to appear that she's interacting more because she's aware of the others.

Again, we're seeing representations, not what's actually happening.  

Spent my birthday yesterday binge watching season one with a friend who hadn't seen it.  She's hooked now too.  I figured that was better than going out to see Passengers.

Saw the xmas special....  It covered many months, right?  That was a worrisome cracking sound.  I guess the orgy was a bit much for the previous Capheus actor.  Too bad.  I'll take some getting used to for the new one, but I suppose it's more jarring after a binge-watch.

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 0:09 PM, Pliskin said:

I really don't know. Some of the acting of the Korean/Japanese school completely eludes me in general. I'm often oblivious to the way they act. But that's just me.

I felt like some of the non sensates were "interacting" with different sensates in a way that would make it physically impossible. But maybe I'm just over reading into this. Doesn't matter.
(I missed Kala, was she really there?)

I see. Different tastes i guess :) 

Yep, kala was there. And as Dr. Pepper said, the sense8s dont really interact with others. Just like Wolfgang didnt really break the lock on Lito's apartment. We see, for example, Wolfgang kiss Neets or vice versa(dont know if this is one that actually happened). But really that is just representing Neets and Nomi kissing, but the sense8s feel that, all of them, not just Nomi.

Finished the special now. Didnt feel much like a special, more like the first two episodes of season two. Very little of this feels self-contained, more like set-up for what will come later in the season. Frustrating that we have to wait but sure it will be worth it. 

Loved the relationship between the Sense8s, that really is the highlight of this show. And the musical montages are always brilliant. I've rewatched the Hallelujah scene so many times already, utterly beautiful. (Lovely version of hallelujah btw). And when they all finish looking up at Angelica. :crying: 

Archived