Chapter 46 Samwell

Throstle

Who did Sam just tell his story to? Marwyn is introduced in the very first chapter as a bit of an oddity at the Citadel. I'm not sure who he really is. He is said to consort with whores and hedge wizards, speak to ibbanesse and Summer Islanders in their own tongues, and sacrifice to strange gods at the sailors' temples by the docks. He spent eight years exploring the east, looking for lost books and training with warlocks and shadowbinders.

And then there is Pate. Pate died in the first chapter. So I can only assume this new Pate is an imposter, some sort of shape shifter. The only people I know who can do that are The Faceless Men. So Sam gave a lot of information to some unknown elements.

And what is this prophecy? Has that been told to us?

Is the Grey Sheep the Maesters? You would think Maester Aemon would have known if the Citadel had something against dragons, being as he was 102, so I'm surprised at Marwyns revelation that they would have killed him for that knowledge.

What about Gilly? If Marwyn's on his way down to take the Cinnamon Wind, Sam better get down there and get Gilly off the ship.

As to who "Pate" specifically is: the face of the Alchemist in the Prologue matches a face we're given in the 2nd last Arya chapter of Clash of Kings.

The prophecy would appear to be the same one Maester Aemon was talking about.

For everything else, keep reading.

As to who "Pate" specifically is: the face of the Alchemist in the Prologue matches a face we're given in the 2nd last Arya chapter of Clash of Kings.

The prophecy would appear to be the same one Maester Aemon was talking about.

For everything else, keep reading.

Oh My God, a shiver just went down my spine! That is the assassin formerly know as Jaqen! What is he doing in Old Town? Who has he been sent to kill? Maybe he is there to kill Sam.

As to the Prophecy, I'm sure they will expand upon it in A Dance with Dragons? But so far, all we know is the promised one was born of smoke and salt. That a comet is involved as well. And interestingly dragons can change sex, as changeable as flame. So they can have a dragon sized penis one moment then a vagina the next? A neat trick.

I think it's obvious that the alchemist was apart of the Faceless Men not just because he obviously takes Pate's face but also because when Pate ask him the famous question "Who are you?" The Alchemist responded with the famous answer

"No one. Truly." I know that's what Arya always says, but I think it's also more of a common thing to say for all the Faceless Men.

Archived