Mance's horn

maxkim

The wildlings "remember" many things that those south of the Wall have forgotten.

And Mance, who was raised south of the wall, wouldn't think for a second that this huge, random, epic looking horn was the real deal and the wildlings simply fudged up some details of the horn's appearance?

I'm pretty sure it says he found it, not that he made it, but I could be mistaken. If I am, that would answer my question

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall, the horn was always a bluff. I think Mance was able to sell it convincingly enough, which makes sense given that he's been able to unite the wildlings behind him. So in that case, it doesn't matter that it's not real because it was never meant to be used. They were going to threaten to blow it in order to secure passage south of the Wall; actually blowing it would have brought the Wall down, in theory, (ETA: or revealed it as the dud that it was), something no one really wants. It's like taking a hostage. If you do it properly, you get what you want without ever having to hurt the hostage/blow the horn.

And Mance, who was raised south of the wall, wouldn't think for a second that this huge, random, epic looking horn was the real deal and the wildlings simply fudged up some details of the horn's appearance?

I'm pretty sure it says he found it, not that he made it, but I could be mistaken. If I am, that would answer my question

He was born a wildling then became a ranger - who spend much of their time north of the wall. As far as we know he's only made some short trips to the south of the wall.

Besides, the actual info can come from other wildlings too, passed down parent to child for generations.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall, the horn was always a bluff. I think Mance was able to sell it convincingly enough, which makes sense given that he's been able to unite the wildlings behind him. So in that case, it doesn't matter that it's not real because it was never meant to be used. They were going to threaten to blow it in order to secure passage south of the Wall; actually blowing it would have brought the Wall down, in theory, something no one really wants. It's like taking a hostage. If you do it properly, you get what you want without ever having to hurt the hostage/blow the horn.

Nope, you're right. Even before Mance revealed the horn, we learn from Ygritte that they never actually found the real deal, and later Tormund confirmed that it was only a dud meant to pose a big enough threat to let the wildlings pass.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall, the horn was always a bluff. I think Mance was able to sell it convincingly enough, which makes sense given that he's been able to unite the wildlings behind him. So in that case, it doesn't matter that it's not real because it was never meant to be used. They were going to threaten to blow it in order to secure passage south of the Wall; actually blowing it would have brought the Wall down, in theory, something no one really wants. It's like taking a hostage. If you do it properly, you get what you want without ever having to hurt the hostage/blow the horn.

I think, it was as Tormund said. If they had the real horn, they would have blown it. They needed a plausible explanation why they didn't do it yet, otherwise the bluff would have looked just like that, a really weak bluff.

I think, it was as Tormund said. If they had the real horn, they would have blown it. They needed a plausible explanation why they didn't do it yet, otherwise the bluff would have looked just like that, a really weak bluff.

I always thought it was the opposite -- they were never going to blow it. It does absolutely no good to blow the horn to bring down the Wall when the Wall is really the only protection against the Others and wights that you're running from in the first place.

I get that nobody thought it was real, but how did they know it wasn't real? Did they make it themselves?

This is my guess, so bear with me, but it's probably one of those things where if you have to ask if it's the "real" horn of winter, it probably isn't. "You know it when you see it." That sort of thing.

I always thought it was the opposite -- they were never going to blow it. It does absolutely no good to blow the horn to bring down the Wall when the Wall is really the only protection against the Others and wights that you're running from in the first place.

Men don't always have the best foresight.

If they never meant to blow the horn to begin with, then why go through the trouble of trying to search for the real thing?

They did look for it, but never found it. That only makes sense if they meant to use it (although it's possible that they would have tried to negotiate first). Otherwise they could have just faked it from the start.

I get that nobody thought it was real, but how did they know it wasn't real? Did they make it themselves?

This is my guess, so bear with me, but it's probably one of those things where if you have to ask if it's the "real" horn of winter, it probably isn't. "You know it when you see it." That sort of thing.

I don't think they made it themselves. IIRC, Tormund said they found it in a giant's tomb.

Archived