Chapter 43 Brienne

Throstle

Once again, another "Oh My God" moment. Brienne is being hanged. This time I think she really does die, as opposed to chapter 38 when I was sure she was going to die and did not. Do we learn more in A Dance with Dragons?

1. Do you think Brienne is killed here?

I think she probably is, unless that last word is something really special.

2. What do you think her last word was?

I think it was someones name. Maybe Jaime or Podrick, or her father. Or maybe it was "Sword" having second thoughts about making a deal. Lady Stoneheart had said, "either the Sword or the Noose". I was surprised that Caitlyn would have such a response to hang Brienne. I thought she would welcome her with open arms, but then I don't think that Lady Stoneheart can really be considered the same person as Caitlyn. She is refereed to as, "the thing that had been Caitlyn Stark". A combination of the treachery if The Red Wedding, and that she was dead for 3 days, have combined to make her a much darker vengeful creature.

1) You will find out in the next book.

2) The word was ''sword''. This has been confirmed by George R.R. Martin.

They hanged Brienne because she was working with the Lannisters, using their sword with a parchment signed by Tommen. Even though it was for good reasons, Stoneheart did not believe that Jamie would keep his oath (to retrieve Catelyn's daughters).

• 3 months later...

I was disappointed with the interaction and lack of conversation or communication between Un-Cat and Brienne. There was a lot of build-up about Un-Cat returning for vengeance but too much of the story was assumed. I would have liked to have picked up from when Nymeria drug her from the river and she was found by BWOB. Thoros as a POV would have been great.

• 3 weeks later...

I was disappointed with the interaction and lack of conversation or communication between Un-Cat and Brienne. There was a lot of build-up about Un-Cat returning for vengeance but too much of the story was assumed. I would have liked to have picked up from when Nymeria drug her from the river and she was found by BWOB. Thoros as a POV would have been great.

yeah indeed, Thoros chapters would have been awesome...

Archived