Fantasy story round robin

Minaku

Okay, it's been three days, and nothing from Sergio. Do we move on to the next person, or do we extend the time to 5 days per section? I was wondering if 3 wasn't enough time.

I PMed him yesterday; no response, so I guess RedSock, it's your turn. Please reply that you have seen this post and that you acknowledge it is your turn, and from then you will have 3 days for your section.

Here is my contribution in all it's glory. I hope you all enjoy it. I'm also posting this in the thread in the Games section.

Chapter 1

Hammer Greatmage was the most attractive man in all the world, if he did say so himself. Everything about him was perfect. He was tall, he was handsome, and, most importantly, he was unattached. For the past 1000 years, women had been throwing themselves at him. He had fathered countless sons, and the great part was that he was not held responsible for any of them. It was fantastic. Life was great for Hammer Greatmage.

But the time had come to put follies aside and really buckle down. His life would be coming to an end when he turned 1033. He knew this. He knew everything. Well, almost everything. There was one thing he didn’t know. That thing was who he should pick to inherit the Greatmage Empire of Perfection. So, Hammer Greatmage had set out to find ten of his sons, so that he could decide which of them should be the lucky heir.

Hammer’s current heir was his ungrateful great great great nephew, who just didn’t deserve to live for 1033 years or get all the women he wanted when he snapped his fingers. The boy was an insolent fool. Well, he was insolent at least. The boy was not, in fact, a fool. He was actually smart enough that he had been able to sabotage many of Hammer’s plans to find his sons. That was terribly annoying.

Hammer knew that he must find his heir soon. It would take some years to train the boy to use the powers he would inherit for good. Hammer had tried to train his nephew, he really had, but the child was unteachable. He was always asking silly questions. Questions! As if questions had any place in Hammer’s academic plan for his students.

Having no logical system of how to select the sons that would be his potential heirs, he had decided to do it by name. The women he bedded seemed to have very boring tastes in names however. There were countless Edwin’s, Thom’s, and Conrad’s. He decided to skip those names, as anyone in possession of one of them must be as bland and boring as the names themselves. Currently, Hammer was on the name Rowan. It was quite a nice name, much better than Conrad. Rowan Greatmage did sound a bit prissy, but if one of the owners of the name was masculine enough to take over the Greatmage Empire of Perfection, he could certainly overcome a prissy name. Or he could always change his name. That was a perfectly viable option. In fact, it was a little known fact that hammer had actually been born to the name Percy Cummings, but when he founded the Greatmage Empire of Perfection, he had changed his name to something more suiting. Hammer was quite proud of the selection he had made.

But now we have spent enough time on names. Although thinking on it had given Hammer a fantastic idea for the first challenge his ten potential heirs. He would have them each pick the name they would take if and when they took over the Empire. It would allow him to weed out the weak links before spending too much time on them. Yes. It was perfect. But first he needed to find those ten potential heirs. “Focus, Hammer, focus,†he said to himself, as he forgot what exactly he was supposed to be focusing on. Then, he fell asleep.

Rowan Greatmage did sound a bit prissy, but if one of the owners of the name was masculine enough to take over the Greatmage Empire of Perfection, he could certainly overcome a prissy name. Or he could always change his name. That was a perfectly viable option.

:lol: A wonderful contribution! You picked right up on Hammer's oh-so-lovely vanity.

Mephistopheles, it's your turn! Please reply that you have seen this post and that you acknowledge it is your turn, and from then you will have 3 days to write a section.

Great post, Red Socks. :D

Hammer’s current heir was his ungrateful great great great nephew, who just didn’t deserve to live for 1033 years or get all the women he wanted when he snapped his fingers. The boy was an insolent fool. Well, he was insolent at least. The boy was not, in fact, a fool. He was actually smart enough that he had been able to sabotage many of Hammer’s plans to find his sons. That was terribly annoying.

I think I like this nephew. :rofl:

Okay, DiabloBlanc, it is now your turn. Please reply that you have seen this post and that you acknolwedge it is your turn, and from then you will have three days to produce a new section.

Chapter 2: Much Like Milk Left Out On The Counter, The Plot Thickens

It was terrible hard work, being evil, Conrad Greatmage thought to himself as he disemboweled the third child. There was so much that was expected of him now, so many onerous rules and customs to follow. These children, for example. What should have made for a relaxing daily ritual that any Dark Lord would delight in was, for him, well...depressing. The screams of terror, the sobs of the parents, the incessant pleas for mercy – it only managed to give him a splitting headache.

He looked down at his feet and frowned. A pool of bodily fluids had formed around his boots, and there was a length of intestine coiled around his ankle. Yuck.

“Minion!†he yelled, growing impatient.

“Minion Number Three Thousand Sixty-Four, if you please, milord,†came a rather generic-sounding voice from behind him.

Conrad sighed. “Clean this up,†he said, pointing at his boots.

“Now? But, milord, you haven't even finished with the villagers. Darkoth Morgrim would have...â€

“I AM NOT DARKOTH MORGRIM!â€

His minion cowered perfunctorily.

Still twitching, Conrad took a deep breath to calm himself. “I know. Darkoth Morgrim would have slaughtered the entire village in the blink of an eye...â€

“And raped them first, milord. Particularly the young boys.â€

“That too. My style of evil, however, is far more subtle. So subtle, in fact, that you could never have any hope of comprehending it. Now shut the fuck up.â€

“I don't understand how...â€

“Exactly. Now send for my lieutenant. He can deal with the rest of this mess.â€

Bowing, the man started to talk again. “Yes, milord. He will be most grateful, when he hears that you have given him the honor of torturing these peasants. If I may ask, does he have your permission to...â€

“Yes.â€

He beamed, and ran off like a giddy little schoolgirl. Well, perhaps not a schoolgirl. There was one of those lying dismembered on the ground behind him, and she certainly couldn't run that quickly now.

In any case, it was time to be going. He opened up a porthole to his Fortress of Evil, and stepped aside as Chuck Norris flew out of it. Two children and a plow mare were simultaneously roundhouse-kicked in the face, and Conrad stepped through the porthole just in time to avoid the spray of gore that followed. He hated it when that happened. Which, of course, was too damn often, especially since his great great great uncle had started using that spell to wreak indiscriminate death and destruction. That was one more question that Hammer Greatmage had never deigned to answer. The old – and yet disturbingly virile – man had always hated it when Conrad questioned the consistency of the system of magic he had created. “If there's summation magic and difference magic, uncle,†he had once asked, “why isn't there multiplication magic and division magic? And what about multivariable calculus?†He had been immensely proud of himself for noticing the flaws...and then Hammer Greatmage had huffed and told him to shut the fuck up. That had been the end of that day's lesson, and as the old man liked to put it... “the beginning of your tragic descent into darkness.â€

He sighed. He was evil. That much was obvious. Yet it just wasn't fun, like everyone had made it out to be. The Fortress of Evil was dark and drab, and his minions had threatened to quit if he hired an interior decorator to liven things up. His most trusted lieutenants were only concerned with destroying “all that is good and holy.†Whatever that meant.

He then noticed the minion who had been kneeling before him. “What?†he asked.

“Hammer Greatmage has arrived at the next village, milord.â€

“He's still trying?†His great great great uncle had decided to replace him as heir earlier this morning, after a particularly nasty hangover. He would have done it sooner, Conrad supposed, but then Hammer Greatmage had never actually realized who his nephew truly was. He laughed maniacally.

“Your tone and pitch are off, milord. Shall I release the next dragon?â€

Conrad frowned. He never had quite mastered the evil laugh, and his minions took every opportunity to remind him that his predecessor had done it better. He ignored the jibe this time, though. “Of course. Wait for me to give the signal, though; the timing is the most important part.â€

Half an hour went by, as Conrad stared through the Plasma Widescreen of Far-seeing, and still Hammer Greatmage was boasting about his accomplishments to the villagers. He lost his patience. “Fuck this. Send the dragon!â€

A porthole opened, and thankfully, Chuck Norris didn't appear to spoil things. The dragon flew through and summarily breathed gouts of flame at the crowd. The smoke cleared after a minute or so, and....nothing had happened. It was then that Conrad discovered why no whirlwind of martial arts badassery had appeared earlier. All of the gathered peasants were instantly killed by a sweeping roundhouse kick. Then, Hammer Greatmage-turned-Chuck Norris stared at the dragon until its flesh and scales boiled away. Conrad ground his teeth and switched off the screen, but not before noticing two hooded figures stepping through a porthole off in the distance.

“CURSE YOU HAMMER GREATMAAAAAAAAAGGGGGEEEEE!†he cried.

Conrad paused a moment, and then giggled at how dumb that had sounded.

“If there's summation magic and difference magic, uncle,†he had once asked, “why isn't there multiplication magic and division magic? And what about multivariable calculus?â€

Best line in this part. :D

Good work! And best of luck, Maid Sansa.

Archived