LGBTQI Thread - An Ode to Lesbians

karaddin

Last time I declared an Ode it was to my girlfriend, this time it would be to myself so no poetry after all that would be weird :p So to Lesbians, we might be limited in number on this board but I'd like to think we are wonderful and diverse and sexy in the ways that matter to us. That fits the women I saw on the weekend here, would have liked to see some more of them! (Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Fair Day) In particular the gothy girl with the awesome outfit and parasol that gave brook a nice big smile and the photographer that was flirting with me!

Anyway building on Brook's point

I think both Robin and Terra touched on the fact that there is a key difference between 'I'm attracted to these features in a partner and trans women/men often do/do not have these features' and 'I am/am not attracted to trans women/men'

I seem to be the reverse of Terra - I find trans women attractive at roughly the same ratio I do cis women (I'm a sucker for tall and leggy so that doesn't hurt the odds) but many trans men seem to for a much more masculine look with muscles and beards that is less likely to work for me.

That line is indeed the key for me, as soon as it starts sliding into "I'm attracted to this person because they are trans" that says one of two things to me...they are either drifting into fetishizing trans people, or they are trans themselves and haven't figured it out yet. The former I don't much like and wouldn't want to be with someone who was doing that, the latter I can't really condemn as I did it myself, I just hope these people put it together faster than I did and don't hurt anyone on the way.

I still like other trans women but now it's "I'm attracted to this person because the physiological process of testosterone then estrogen can make for some really fucking gorgeous people that really fit my aesthetic preferences" or "I'm attracted to this person because we have some similarities of experience that calls to me" or even "I'm attracted to Janet Mock because I have a pulse".

Having had some experience, long ago with women that were interested in me because I was trans, I found when the novelty wore off for them, their interest waned. If I didn't have a partner, now, I'd never get involved with someone who sought me out because I was trans, except if the other person was also a trans woman. Relationships between trans women can be quite intense and satisfying.

Well, hell. I haven't been pissed off about anything in 24 hours, so this had to happen. A transgender woman was detained at Pearon Int'l in Toronto, when she attempted to enter Canada, due to previously overstaying a visa. So where do they decide to confine her? You guessed it, a men's prison. While she was still at the airport and had her phone, she was able to post the whole mess on Twitter. You can follow the story, here.

The issue is actually an immigration one, rather than trans. She overstayed her visa the last time she was in Canada and was stopped when she tried to enter the country this time. If she was cisgender there wouldn't be a question of where to hold her till whatever proceedings are going to ensue, but her being transgender made where she should be housed, an issue and the authorities really screwed up.

ETA: This is a summary.

Yeah I followed the immigration thing, sense I'm getting from the tweets though that she was originally bound for a different type of detention, not prison, but the fact that they are apparently unable to cope with the fact she is a trans woman led them to decide to house her in prison instead?

This really is one massive fuck up, as is the fact that apparently no one involved has any idea how to speak to/about trans people.

I'll try to get the official designation of the facility in which she's being detained.

It's an issue that bothers me. FFS, 35 years after SRS, I still avoid places where someone might object to my presence. If I go out for any length of time, I skip my morning cup of coffee and if I go to the movies, no soft drink for me. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just prefer to avoid problems.

ETA: Official description of Maplehurst Correctional Facility:

Medium to maximum security correctional facility for adult males 18 years of age and over, sentenced to less than two years incarceration and for those remanded in custody pending appearance in court.

Apparently, the law here in Canada stipulates that it is the genitalia which determines what type of prison you got to. I do believe Ms. Edison has now been separated from the rest of the population at Maplehurst.

Is it standard practice to incarcerate people when denied entry in Canada? I was under the impression from Australians I've known denied entry to the UK that you just get put on a plane straight back to where you came from, taking you out of the airport and throwing you in a prison of any kind seems a bit fucked up.

Well, at least she's able to face this with some humor:

"Please keep Toronto Airport customs/immigration officials in your thoughts, as this is apparently their first time meeting a trans person."

Tweeted at 1:39 AM - 11 Feb 2014

Although she seems to be taking this ordeal in stride, I wonder if what has happened to Ms. Edison will give her some satisfaction if it leads to changes to our laws where genitalia will not determine where a person is jailed, which is the case at this point and time.

And is this a standard practice or is Canada lagging in this particular area??

It's not, just silliness, I expect the next version will be 'an ode to gay men' and we'll spend the whole thread talking about the awesomeness of lesbians :p

It sounds like a lazy stereotype to me.

Archived