Does anyone think what they did to Cersei was unjust?

Joseph Stark

For as much as people hate Cersei does anyone think parading her naked through the streets was wrong? I think this reeks of sexism. IIRC wasnt she being punished for adultery which is a sin and not evern a crime? She hasnt been convicted of any crimes yet that is what the trial is for? How can she be punished before being found guilty? Can you picture them doing this to a man? How many widowed men in the series have done what Cersei has done and 10 times worse and it isnt a secret it is common knowledge and i dont see the HS stripping then down naked and parading them through the street with their shriveled old junk hanging out for all of KL to see? Why the huge double stanndard?

My theory is that this was her uncle Kevin and the HS's way of "stripping" her of power and influence just like Tywin did to their father's mistress? It seems like everytime a woman starts to get too powerful and influential then the men that feel threatened by her do this to shame her in the eyes of the other lords and common people so they wont respect her anymore and discourages other women from becoming to ambitious. It is a way for them men to assert their authority over women and to keep them in their subordinate place in society.

Cersei deserves punishment for her crimes, but that was a wrong punishment. No matter how horrible the crime, nothing deserves such sexual or humiliating punishment.

That said, it was Cersei's choice to do the walk, and she then regrets it. They didn't force her to do it, they merely gave her the choice.

I got no satisfaction out of the punishment, no. Administering a sexually based punishment for sexual crimes (as opposed to her, you know, many far-worse actual crimes) bugged me when I read it. Cersei deserves punishment; she may even deserve to die. But the way that was done was foul.

Yes, the punishment was sexist and designed to shame her and strip her power. I do want to point out, however, that adultery in a queen is not just a sin, but treason. It is depriving (or potentially depriving) the king of a true heir and meddling with the succession. We may not agree by modern standards, but her adultery is a very real, very serious crime in this setting, worthy of a death sentence (if found guilty).

It was unjust because of the manner of punishment and for what she was being accused. If you can be punished for adultery, over half the men of Westeros should be having a Walk of Shame. But this is a male-dominated sexist society and there was a powerful woman who needed to be torn down and what an easy way to do so.

I agree with the others, she deserves punishment for her real crimes, not for having sex.

IIRC wasnt she being punished for adultery which is a sin and not evern a crime?

No one, in series, says or thinks that this is not a crime, or that the HS did not have the power to do such "punishment", IIRC.

And "officially" it was a walk of atonement, which was supposed to show that she had repented enough and was pious enough to be around her son, the king.

The High Sparrow had every right to hold her prisoner in the Great Sept (which for Cersei, at this point, was not too bad), but he gave her the choice to return to the Red Keep (and be by her son, possibly "tainting" him with her lack of piousness) if she did the walk.

i think it was ironic and well deserving

she used her coochie as a weapon, controlling weak minded men to do her dirty work

all the high sparrow did was take away her weapon by flaunting her naked body thru the streets of kings landing

minimizing her power, and punishing her crimes

By that same token, all the men who use their penises to horrify, control and rape throughout the series should have to do the same or maybe end up eunuch-ified.

Ok for clarification she never admitted to or was proven guilty of cheating on Robert so her punishment wasnt for depriving him of heirs. She admitted to and was "atoning" for what she admitted to which was having sex with men after she was a widow which is IIRC a moral sin not a crime or treason by Westeros standards.

From what I gather, she was only punished here for the crimes she confessed to. She never confessed to cheating on Robert so this was not for treason. Everyone seems to agree that she did commit a crime by sleeping with others. That many men do it is true (even while they are married) but different rules apply to women. It is not clear if the HS came up with this himself or with Kevan's help, but I suspect Kevan was in on it to humiliate her and break her pride.

Ok for clarification she never admitted to or was proven guilty of cheating on Robert so her punishment wasnt for depriving him of heirs. She admitted to and was "atoning" for what she admitted to which was having sex with men after she was a widow which is IIRC a moral sin not a crime or treason by Westeros standards.

If this is in response to my post, then yes, I agree. The OP seemed to be lumping both together and I wanted to make it clear that they are separate and that proven adultery would be treasonous. You are right in that she hasn't been found guilty of nor admitted to that crime.

i think it was ironic and well deserving

she used her coochie as a weapon, controlling weak minded men to do her dirty work

all the high sparrow did was take away her weapon by flaunting her naked body thru the streets of kings landing

minimizing her power, and punishing her crimes

Even as a man im offended by these comments. You are illustrating a perfect example of the double standard that occurs IRL and one that i was pointing out in the book. Why is it ok for men to use violence to control people through fear but its wrong when a woman uses sex to influence men? She even pointed out the unjustness of this in the book when when she describes how different people treated her when she and Jamie used to switch places as children. IMO she was just using what she was given as she explained to Sansa about tears being a womans weapon and then referred to her "other weapon". I dont fault her for this at all and if men are dumb enough to think with their manhoods and be manipulated like this then it is their own fault. What about all the "ungodly acts" that are performed by Robert and all the other men in the series? I dont see them being shamed and punished for their rape and whoring?

By that same token, all the men who use their penises to horrify, control and rape throughout the series should have to do the same or maybe end up eunuch-ified.

both me and probably the High Sparrow would agree with you but they weren't the ones on trial...

Also a noble should show more class if you ask me considering the rich and lavish lifestyle. Some of the peasants and soldiers are pretty much broken on the inside due to the shit life they had at the hand of the noble class or whatever…they were pushed to that even though i don't justify their choices or actions..

Cersei on the other hand, is just trying to control people with Pusalious the va-jay jay God. She should know better, especially when married to Robert and being Tywin's daughter.

she is how i say, more accountable for her own actions? being educated and all, i know its rough being tywins daughter, but she came off as a spoiled bitch even before her mother died.

She admitted to and was "atoning" for what she admitted to which was having sex with men after she was a widow which is IIRC a moral sin not a crime or treason by Westeros standards.

Yes, but she still has been charged with many, many other crimes, and her "atoning" was a condition for her release to the Red Keep while she awaited trial (think: a bail condition (with house arrest until trial)).

And again, while we do not know if what she confessed to is considered a "crime", no one thinks the High Sparrow is not allowed to place such a condition upon her release - a condition which she had the choice to do so or not.

Wrong? Well, certainly.. but not by Westerosi standards. HS didn't invent this walk just for her. She had been caught and confessed to what you might call "aggravated" fornication. Sleeping with several guys including young Lancel, and I suppose HS saw that as particularly nasty manifestation of the sin.

I agree with the people who said that it was bad because she was being punished for something extremely minor when her real sins go unpunished.

It kind of reminds me of Jaime's fate though. He was punished brutally for mouthing off to Vargo Hoat and shamed for killing the madman who wanted to blow up the city, but he's untouched for throwing a kid out a window. Westerosi justice is an oxymoron.

(the sex part is just typical BS)

Archived