Does anyone think what they did to Cersei was unjust?

Joseph Stark

Even as a man im offended by these comments. You are illustrating a perfect example of the double standard that occurs IRL and one that i was pointing out in the book. Why is it ok for men to use violence to control people through fear but its wrong when a woman uses sex to influence men? She even pointed out the unjustness of this in the book when when she describes how different people treated her when she and Jamie used to switch places as children. IMO she was just using what she was given as she explained to Sansa about tears being a womans weapon and then referred to her "other weapon". I dont fault her for this at all and if men are dumb enough to think with their manhoods and be manipulated like this then it is their own fault. What about all the "ungodly acts" that are performed by Robert and all the other men in the series? I dont see them being shamed and punished for their rape and whoring?

oh please my comments were hardly "offensive" although maybe a tiny bit blunt

but the conversation is about Cersei. Not Robert, Not men using violence as a weapon.

so for you to say I'm making a double standard when i didn't even comment on any of those things is "offensive"

If you keep looking at these things through eyes living in the 21st century your never going to understand the actions and thoughts of those in the story.

Medieval times was a horrible time for women. I never said it wasn't. Nor did i ever say I'm a fan of the double standard

It wasn't a punishment but a declawing, cooked up between Kevan and the HS-and can we just talk about how stupid Kevan was for allowing this to go on? Way to make your family a laughing stock.

The purpose of the WoS was to shame Cersei and break her, and I for one cannot wait for her to wreck havoc and the HS and his ilk./ extremely prejudiced fan.

Yes. I found it horrible.

Cersei deserves to be punished, but not like this and not for the things she was punished for. She should face what she has done and maybe she even deserves to die, but this punishment was horrible. Like others have pointed out, it shows the double standarts Westeros is having, because, let's face it, what she confessed is basically having a sex life after her husband died. Men in her position would be told where they can find the best whores, yet she is punished for it.

If this is in response to my post, then yes, I agree. The OP seemed to be lumping both together and I wanted to make it clear that they are separate and that proven adultery would be treasonous. You are right in that she hasn't been found guilty of nor admitted to that crime.

Yea sorry for the confusion. I guess i should have been more clear, in christian beliefs isnt having sex outside of marriage considered adultery? "thou shall not commit adultery" Isnt that suppose to include premarital sex and affairs while married? (having sex with anyone you are not married to) Maybe this is why i was confused in my choice of wording?

I agree with the people who said that it was bad because she was being punished for something extremely minor when her real sins go unpunished.

It kind of reminds me of Jaime's fate though. He was punished brutally for mouthing off to Vargo Hoat and shamed for killing the madman who wanted to blow up the city, but he's untouched for throwing a kid out a window. Westerosi justice is an oxymoron.

but jaime lost his sword hand because of him mouthing off to Vargo Hoat, which is the same hand that pushed bran out the window

sounds like karma and the punishment fits the crime of pushing bran out the window considered he survived a cripple, same with Jaime.

Cersei's lost her most powerful weapon which was her body. The reasoning may be silly, but its karma for all the crimes she committed with that weapon as her power play . It was a well deserved punishment for all the atrocities she's caused in the books.

Ironic and just, its all karma throughout the books

It's one of the rare occasions where I feel sorry for Cersei. Sexual degradation of this type is always nasty.

It's worth noting though, that Cersei thought the idea of Margaery being internally examined "so droll she wanted to laugh."

if this is sexist and wrong is there a more deserving punishment for her?

what would you all suggest?

Death? A swift stroke of the ax. Exile, confinement to a castle-take your pick.

Or, like me, you can root for her triumphing and establishing a new royal dynasty,a line of queens.

oh please my comments were hardly "offensive" although maybe a tiny bit blunt

but the conversation is about Cersei. Not Robert, Not men using violence as a weapon.

so for you to say I'm making a double standard when i didn't even comment on any of those things is "offensive"

If you keep looking at these things through eyes living in the 21st century your never going to understand the actions and thoughts of those in the story.

Medieval times was a horrible time for women. I never said it wasn't. Nor did i ever say I'm a fan of the double standard

If we want to look at it through medieval eyes, then the idea of a Queen being subjected to this treatment would have inspired horror and revulsion.

It wasn't a punishment but a declawing, cooked up between Kevan and the HS-and can we just talk about how stupid Kevan was for allowing this to go on? Way to make your family a laughing stock.

The purpose of the WoS was to shame Cersei and break her, and I for one cannot wait for her to wreck havoc and the HS and his ilk./ extremely prejudiced fan.

Not to mention, Ser Kevan runs the risk of turning Tommen into a laughing stock as well.

Well, she did commit treason against the King she was married to (amongst her many other crimes), so a longsword down and through her neck would be fitting. But made to walk down the street naked b/c she got her jollies off is sexist, hypocritical and messed up. But it's par for the course in Westeros.

Well technically she shouldnt be punished at all(yet) because she hasnt been convicted of any actual crimes. She admitted to sinning against their gods and sins have to be atoned for or she can be forgiven and shown mercy.

That being said if she is found guilty(as we all know she is) of the crimes she is being accused of then she should be beheaded by the kings justice. A swift death IMO its not right to say she deserves to be tortured or die painfully just because we dont like her.

Yea sorry for the confusion. I guess i should have been more clear, in christian beliefs isnt having sex outside of marriage considered adultery? "thou shall not commit adultery" Isnt that suppose to include premarital sex and affairs while married? (having sex with anyone you are not married to) Maybe this is why i was confused in my choice of wording?

I thought adultery was specifically sex when one person is married and the other is not their spouse. That's how I am using it when I'm talking about it. I don't know if it's used as an all encompassing umbrella for any unmarried sex in the Christian belief system. But no worries :)

I don't get the problem she chose to do it. She could have sat in her sell but she chose not too. I know what you are going to say "Lancel did not have to do it". Lancel joined the swords if Cersei asked to be a Septa HS probably would granted it, hell may have spared her to.

You are absolutely right, it is sexist. But the interesting thing is besides being guilty of adultry, which isn't my point, she is responsible for her own punishment by being a know it all, a bully, and by deciding SHE knew best and rearming the Faith. Without her blunders her crimes would have gone unpunished.

Archived