Walkers and ice dragons.

Jaysodope

This is a just a thought that occurred to me as to what might occur later in the book series. So ice dragons are widely regarded as myth and stories however they are mentioned in the book series a number of times mostly by jon snow while on the wall. While we know that the white walkers can reanimate human and animals (referred to as wights) from the dead to use as essentially minions. Has the though occurred that they might bring back dead dragons as wights? The realm has surly had more than few dragons die above the wall. The thought is that we know wights are weak against fire and the way the series is heading we can almost guarantee that dany will eventually march north and face the real enemy of the realm. 3 fire breathing dragons against an army of beings weak against fire hardly seems like an epic final battle. The walkers having dragons of there own would tip the scales and make the final fight more fair. It's just my personal theory that I haven't seen anyone else post yet so I thought would share and see if anyone feels the same.

I don't think dragons have ever lived in Westeros before, not counting in Kings Landing during the early Targaryen reign. At least, there is no evidence for native Westerosi dragons. They were not mentioned by the Children to Bran either when they spoke of the endangered and extinct creatures (giants, unicorns, direwolves). Some do believe ice dragons lived in the extreme north, but there's no evidence for it yet.

I don't think dragons have ever lived in Westeros before, not counting in Kings Landing during the early Targaryen reign. At least, there is no evidence for native Westerosi dragons. They were not mentioned by the Children to Bran either when they spoke of the endangered and extinct creatures (giants, unicorns, direwolves). Some do believe ice dragons lived in the extreme north, but there's no evidence for it yet.

Not all of that all of the targ dragons remained in kings landing. I was referring to the idea that some of them may have perished above the wall and will now be brought back by the walkers.

Not all of that all of the targ dragons remained in kings landing. I was referring to the idea that some of them may have perished above the wall and will now be brought back by the walkers.

I think if a dragon was lost above the wall we would have heard some kind of set up for that by now. Its a Checkovs gun type scenario. If a gun is going off in the third act its got to be on the banister in the first to set it up. I do like the idea of dany loosing a dragon to the wights / White Walkers though.

If there was Ice Dragons at this point, I want them to be true Ice Dragons, not reanimated ones.

I've grown found of the idea an Ice Dragon is responsible for the seasons (wakes from slumber to bring forth Winter). After the final battle the Ice Dragon will be killed & the seasons stabilized.

If there was Ice Dragons at this point, I want them to be true Ice Dragons, not reanimated ones.

I've grown found of the idea an Ice Dragon is responsible for the seasons (wakes from slumber to bring forth Winter). After the final battle the Ice Dragon will be killed & the seasons stabilized.

That is an awesome idea. :D

I think if a dragon was lost above the wall we would have heard some kind of set up for that by now. Its a Checkovs gun type scenario. If a gun is going off in the third act its got to be on the banister in the first to set it up. I do like the idea of dany loosing a dragon to the wights / White Walkers though.

Well Checkovs gun doesnt mean that. It means if there is a gun in the first two acts then it better be used in the third. A subtle difference but very tellin especially since I would use that as evidence FOR the ice dragons. Why mention them multiple times if they never appear. In answer to the OP I, if there are ice dragons I dont think they will be wights, they will be their own breed. Not sure how plausible that is, also keep in mind that stone dragons are mentioned multiple times too. I think in order to believe that ice dragons exist, you would need to believe stone ones do too.

It is mentioned in the books that Queen Alysanne went to the waill with her dragon and it was a pretty big deal so im sure we would have heard about it if a dragon had at some point perished beyond the wall

My question is....using the same reasoning are we going to see Krakens at some point in the story first hand not just through fishermans accounts?

what exactly is the point of a wight dragon? the dragon's biggest weapon is it's fire, they are "fire made flesh" but the Wights and Others are the exact opposite, they exude a chilling aura that lowers the surrounding temperature. if a dragon dies, then so does it's fire, then it becomes a wight and...what? it starts breathing ice blasts? just doesn't make sense to me. the most a wight dragon could do in battle is serve as a mount for the Others(which sounds totally awesome) and use it's claws and teeth but for it to gain an upper hand on three fire breathing dragons then it would have to be considerably older and larger then Dany's 3 year old dragons and I can't see GRRM just adding a wight dragon to the story this late into the series without foreshadowing it first. I mean Queen Alaysanne went to the Wall with a few dragons, if one of them disappeared beyond the Wall then I'd be more inclined to believe the theory.

There are dozens of references to,dragons in westeros history. Besides the ice dragons there are mentid of dragon slayers in ancient times, and dragons are prominent in folklore in different regions of westeros (Nagga's bones, Clarence Crabb).

There is ample evidence of.ancient Westerosi dragons IMO.

I like the OP, but I think it makes more sense to imagine this scenario (in which the Chekov's gun line of thinking becomes moot):

A dragon or three are involved in the battle between men and WWs. (Maybe Dany realizes, like Stannis, that the North is where the action's at.) One is killed, perhaps shot by a wight's arrow. It falls to earth and a WW raises it from the dead as a Wight dragon, perhaps now breathing icy deathly supercoldness. A new menace, one that eventually is slayed by Hodor, or perhaps Dog.

Sounds cool to me.

There's also the Ice dragon beneath the crypts of Winterfell, just kidding.

My crackpot theory is that GRRM's 1980's children's book happens 100's of years after the events of asoif, with the seasons in balance, two kingdoms warring with normal dragons and a ice dragon flying each year from the lands of always winter to a farm near the inn at the crossroads.

It is mentioned in the books that Queen Alysanne went to the waill with her dragon and it was a pretty big deal so im sure we would have heard about it if a dragon had at some point perished beyond the wall

My question is....using the same reasoning are we going to see Krakens at some point in the story first hand not just through fishermans accounts?

Well right before the purple wedding I seem to recall Varys telling the SC as well as the lords of the Reach that there was a kraken spotted that had taken down a trading ship or something ( I would have to look it up), and (almost as if to give credence to the previous statement) right after he states that a three headed dragon had been seen in Qarth. (Which was the first time that the royalty in westeros had heard about it. Funny how they dismissed it to make wedding plans)

• 4 months later...

In 1980, over a decade before he began to write the books of ASOIF, GRRM wrote a children's story called "The Ice Dragon". There is debate over whether this story is set in the lands of A Song of Ice and Fire but there are many similarities. The heroine of the story is a child named, Adara, who has been described as a winter child born during the worst freeze anyone could remember. It describes the Ice Dragon as a creature of legend and fear that no man could tame. Well, Adara, does tame the Ice Dragon and the two of them save her village from fire-breathing dragons. Afterword, the Ice Dragon disappears and a large lake appears. As a winter child, Adara could not smile, laugh or cry, like a normal girl but after she and her dragon saved the village, Adara became a normal girl who could smile, laugh and cry.

Adara does remind me of someone in ASOIF.

Makes me think that there may be an Ice Dragon in the Wall or bottom of the Long Lake or the lake around the Isle of the Faces or somewhere else.

Maybe the Ice Dragon will fight Danny's Dragons? Maybe not, I think even if an Ice Dragon exits in ASOIF, it will not be a straightforward story line. It will have the usual GRRM twists and turns for which we do not have enough information to fathom even a guess.

Archived