Why does Littlefinger confide in Sansa so much?

Daendrew

Why does Littlefinger confide in Sansa, telling someone he barely knows he killed a king, how he thinks and works, things he has hidden so well not even Varys could figure out.

There must be more to this than a literary tool to communicate his intentions.

For all his purported love for Cat, he still lied and hid info from her.

I image he thinks that she's not a threat to him because he has her wrapped around his finger.

.. and in his pocket. He seems to think he is the only one who knows about her true identity, so how could she be a threat to him. God, I hope she wipes that self-satisfied grin of his face soon.

.. and in his pocket. He seems to think he is the only one who knows about her true identity, so how could she be a threat to him. God, I hope she wipes that self-satisfied grin of his face soon.

Agreed, I'm hoping this end up being the mistake that costs him everything. I need Sansa to out play him, but she really needs to snap out of it first. What is her wake-up call going to be, I wonder?

Agreed, I'm hoping this end up being the mistake that costs him everything. I need Sansa to out play him, but she really needs to snap out of it first. What is her wake-up call going to be, I wonder?

Oh, I don't think there is a wake-up call needed. She knows. But to deal with it is a different thing. I'm counting on Myranda and Mya as future friends to encourage her, maybe share her "secrets" (honestly, as if no one knows ^^)

I think he wants her to carry on his legacy in some way. And being awesome isn't so much fun when no one knows how awesome you are.

Another backer...yes! Go Littlefinger!

Although I think Sansa turned a corner when she sniffed out the plot with the Lords Declarant (specifically that Lyn Corbray had been bought off). It's the first time she reasons things out on her own that aren't necessarily right in front of her.

I think he admits to being part of the plot to.poison Joffery to win her trust or at least her support/friendship/affection. He knows Sansa was treated horribly bu Joff and hates him, so by admitting that he helped poison him LF makes himself look like a friend or ally to her.

The Hardyng marriage might be another example of that. He might think that she is still that guileless girl of summer with fanciful dreams of gallant knights and handsome men. By offering her not only a marriage to such a knight, but also the dream of returning to WF, he may hope to buy her trust completely. Just speculation of.course, but it doesnt seem unreasonable to reach that conclusion

I think it is part of Littlefinger's irony in the story. The lowly man that all the other high lords have overlooked while he has been in the background manipulating the system, and now he overlooks the girl that he thinks is completely under his control. Part of how he has operated is by his understanding of other people's nature and using it against them. But he really misunderstands Sansa, which is why she will be his downfall.

He is in love with/obsessed/infatuated with Sansa and doesn't see her as a threat which is why she will be the cause of his downfall.

His Achilles Heel.

He was Cat's confidant when they were young, he even believes he slept with Cat, as well as, Lysa on that drunken night. He believed it soo much that he challenged Brandon Stark to a duel, that nearly cost him his life.

Since that fight it was his mission in life to rise to a position to win Cat. Everything else that has happened was just a stepping stone, and once he finally realized he could never get her, he focused in on Sansa.

In Sansa he sees a girl who resembles Cat, but is more beautiful, and at that same age Cat was when they were sharing secrets, etc.

Littlefinger is going to make the same mistake he made 18 years ago. He is just too obsessed with the one thing he could not have.

Although I think Sansa turned a corner when she sniffed out the plot with the Lords Declarant (specifically that Lyn Corbray had been bought off). It's the first time she reasons things out on her own that aren't necessarily right in front of her.

Exactly.

The Hardyng marriage might be another example of that. He might think that she is still that guileless girl of summer with fanciful dreams of gallant knights and handsome men. By offering her not only a marriage to such a knight, but also the dream of returning to WF, he may hope to buy her trust completely. Just speculation of.course, but it doesnt seem unreasonable to reach that conclusion

Notice of course how we didn't learn Sansa's thoughts on Harry the Heir-I suspect she's not as enamored of the idea as he fancies. For one thing she doesn't consider the Eyrie 'home.' She's not especially interested in power for its own sake, and I don't think a 'player' type like Harry who's sired two bastards so young is Sansa's idea of a suitable husband.

I think it is part of Littlefinger's irony in the story. The lowly man that all the other high lords have overlooked while he has been in the background manipulating the system, and now he overlooks the girl that he thinks is completely under his control. Part of how he has operated is by his understanding of other people's nature and using it against them. But he really misunderstands Sansa, which is why she will be his downfall.

Well said!

The story definitely seems to be setting up Sansa getting her opportunity to knock him off the board- but he's had plenty of surprises already, and may surprise us all yet.

The thing is, he's risen just about as high as a man of his birth can rise in the kingdom. There's only been one thing that he's lacked, and that's noble blood. I'm sure he sees her as his ticket to continue rising, especially if he's able to pull the strings from behind the scenes. This secondary plot is probably the one I'm most interested in going forward, and I hope a plentiful portion of Winds is spent on it.

Archived