Why does Littlefinger confide in Sansa so much?

Daendrew

I think he admits to being part of the plot to.poison Joffery to win her trust or at least her support/friendship/affection. He knows Sansa was treated horribly bu Joff and hates him, so by admitting that he helped poison him LF makes himself look like a friend or ally to her.

Yep. And by sharing (some of) his plots with someone who cannot betray him (because otherwise he can instantly out her as not being Alayne Stone), he guarantees her silence.

He's doing exactly what he warned Ned against. And like Ned it will bring him down.

His hubris playing the part of neds honor. Leading to a GRRM patented ironic fate.

It would fit Martin's style wouldn't it? :devil:

And that sense of ironic punishment, is arguably the best argument, I've heard yet, for Sansa being the one who takes down LF...

Exactly.

Notice of course how we didn't learn Sansa's thoughts on Harry the Heir-I suspect she's not as enamored of the idea as he fancies. For one thing she doesn't consider the Eyrie 'home.' She's not especially interested in power for its own sake, and I don't think a 'player' type like Harry who's sired two bastards so young is Sansa's idea of a suitable husband.

Well said!

She does seem to dwell on the fact he has two bastard children, and seems horrified at the idea of any marriage at all, so i think its hinted that at the very least she is not interested in Harry, and Petyr doesnt have the measure of her as he thinks. I remember someone drawing parallels between Robert and Lyanna and Sansa and Harry before too, with the similarity between the males being something of a ladies man

He probably believes he can controls her, this young girl. It might also be part of his schemes and a way to gain her trust. Possibly even to win her over because he's a total perv..

I'm all in favor of Sansa becoming his downfall because he underestimates her, that would be awesome and ironic. Though I'm not completely convinced yet he will have an absolute downfall to begin with. I can see him remaining a powerfull man until the very end (though it's more likely he won't)

There are both practical and egotistical reasons. Confiding in her is a way to build a trust relationship and also make her feel involved in his schemes, which is useful for making her the sidekick/partner he seems to want.

But I also suspect that, on a basic level, he's really wanted to have an audience all these years, and he's finally got somebody he can explain the full details of his brilliant schemes to.

Exactly what it says. In this scenario we need to replace Ned's sense of duty/honor with LF's hubris. Although truncated I stand by the sentence (grammatically speaking.)

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't figure out what was meant; I thought maybe an 'e' was missing in 'needs', but wasn't sure, because it still didn't make sense to me.

I hope what you describe will take place by the end of the series. However, in Asoiafland, too often the cheaters and schemers get away with their dirty deeds. So we'll see what happens.

But I also suspect that, on a basic level, he's really wanted to have an audience all these years, and he's finally got somebody he can explain the full details of his brilliant schemes to.

Oh, no question Colonel.

I always remember this quote from Sherlock, (with BC and MF), "That's the peril of genius-it needs an audience."

And, like any brilliant villain who reveals his schemes, once his brilliant schemes are revealed by him, he can officially be done in. Of course, that's an overused trope of fiction, so I hope it's handled better than that. George usually writes better than that.

Because he is lying and manipulating her for his own use. Like he didn't know Lysa was watching. LF uses people and plays them off each other. But I don't think that is all he is doing as the characters tend to be more complex than that. He can achieve Sansa the way he never achieved her mother, after all he is not a person who likes to fail. He probably enjoys the challenge of teaching someone as inept at scheming as Sansa is as LF enjoys a challenge, and again he can make use of her. She is one of the layers of his delicious 7 layer conquer the world cake.

Now with 14 main POV characters and 10 minor POV characters, minus Ned, Quentyn, and Arys and possibly Cat while alive no longer being POV. That leaves 21-20 active story branches and book 6 is not being split so there are not a lot of chapters to go around. So it will be interesting to see how far any of the stories progress. It would appear some characters need to be eliminated, but even doing so means they will have at least one POV. Sansa got 3 in crows and 0 in Dance. Over the last 2 books Selmy has had more chapters than Sansa, and already has 2 confirmed for Winds. Should be interesting to see if Sansa makes it out of book 6 intact. I know a lot of people feel she will be a super power, and that may be, but I find in these books that power comes at a price and not a happy price.

I wrote an epic length thread pondering just this question: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99141-bad-news-baelish-or-purple-wedding-20/ .

The big crux of it, is Baelish plans on killing Sansa, but not before he gets her to play some role for him. I posit a theory as to what that role might be, but I wouldn't bet money.

For starters, the current plan he told Sansa (marry Harold, retake Winterfell) doesn't have a payday in it for him. Worse, Sansa might uncover some awkward truths regarding Littlefinger, such as meeting back up with Jeyne Poole. It also puts Sansa in a position of power not accountable to Littlefinger.

Sansa got 3 in crows and 0 in Dance. Over the last 2 books Selmy has had more chapters than Sansa, and already has 2 confirmed for Winds. Should be interesting to see if Sansa makes it out of book 6 intact. I know a lot of people feel she will be a super power, and that may be, but I find in these books that power comes at a price and not a happy price.

Barristan was made a POV for purely functional reasons. Sansa, like Bran and Arya, doesn't have much story in AFFC/ADWD because the "five year gap" for them was not going to be terribly eventful.

The big crux of it, is Baelish plans on killing Sansa, but not before he gets her to play some role for him.

I don't think there's any chance of that.

For starters, the current plan he told Sansa (marry Harold, retake Winterfell) doesn't have a payday in it for him.

Yes it does. It gives him two appropriately noble proxies with which to rule a kingdom (Harry, I suspect, will die after fathering (or seeming to father) a couple of heirs).

Because, like a lot of blowhards I've known, such as my stepfather, he's always in need of an audience to whom he can blow his horn of self and lay down the law according to his self (and the less he knows about something the more law he lays down). Blowing in solitude doesn't do it for him. He MUST have a FEMALE audience. If he doesn't get it, he pouts and sulks, and if he's a Littlefinger, does worse than that.

Archived