Second Game of Thrones Trailer Premieres

Westeros

I really hope that isn't coldhands. I don't think so, even if there's no elk they'd at least have him in black so the audience knows he's former nightswatch.

Looks like they are totally going there with Shae, I wonder how that story will pan out regarding show Shae's differences to book Shae.

I've been rewatching season 3 with my unsullied G/F. What stood out much more this time around was all the fuss Shae makes over Tyrion potentially bedding Sansa. My guess (and I hope I am wrong) is that she comes across reasons to suspect Tyrion sleeps with Sansa so sleeps with his dad in revenge. Otherwise I have no way of figuring how they'll reconcile the stark differences between book Shae and TV Shae. I hope they find a clever way to do it because the way I just mentioned is one huge eye-roll of a plot device.

I've been rewatching season 3 with my unsullied G/F. What stood out much more this time around was all the fuss Shae makes over Tyrion potentially bedding Sansa. My guess (and I hope I am wrong) is that she comes across reasons to suspect Tyrion sleeps with Sansa so sleeps with his dad in revenge. Otherwise I have no way of figuring how they'll reconcile the stark differences between book Shae and TV Shae. I hope they find a clever way to do it because the way I just mentioned is one huge eye-roll of a plot device.

If they play up tyrions attraction to Sansa, she's older than book Sansa so it's not as un PC.

Shae and Tyrion could have a fight which ends along the lines of "yes I want to fuck her, I want her to want me, is that what you want to hear?!"

And then you have it set up for Shae to go be herself...

@ #247: I hope not. I agree with you, that could happen, but it would seem like a really rushed way of going from point A to point B. They might have to do that at this point, with how they so altered the Shae character, but that is too bad as it ruins the utter devastation Tyrion is met with when he learns the truth about her. I think it is safe to say, TV Shae does not have that same truth to her. If she sleeps around, specifically with Tywin, it will likely be a recent turn of events, and something Tyrion will look much worse for killing her over than book Tyrion does.

Also, judging how they like to go thematic with the episodes in the past 2 seasons, who else thinks this event, if it happens, will somehow be paried with the Jon Ygritte event?

The inevitable Dany line was predictably awkward. They really need to stop shilling her as some kind of faux badass and work on giving her some more substance in the show.

Good trailer though.

This seems to be a really polarising scene. I tend to dislike Danny's lines, and throughout S2 and I thought the portrayal of her was annoying (could work as character development in retrospect, as it was much better in S3), however . . . I thought this was an awesome line with awesome reserve in it's delivery. Emile looks regal, confident, seductive—gone are the dramatic facial expressions and body language that plague her character in S2. I really digged this moment. It might actually be my fav part in the trailer. I'm not a fan of the Danny storyline—book or otherwise—but this delivery had me hopeful I won't be generally put-off everytime we cut to her scenes.

But like I say, other people have had the direct opposite opinion, which is interesting. Could just be the nature of the character as written by GRRM.

Can the term "whitewashing" (along with "character assassination") be banned from the forum as it appears a lot of people don't have a great grasp on what it means and now just use it as shorthand for "different characterization as the books"?

:agree: oh yes! :agree:

Yep, that's what I've been saying, too.

(Took out spoilery stuff...)

The term 'whitewashing' can refer to two things in terms of characters and media-

1. Turning an ethnic or black skin toned character White.

2. Trying to portray a character in a better light that makes them more favourable with the audience (a biased presentation of the character).

Cersei is a prime example- in the books she is the one who orders the Killing of Robert's Bastards but in the show they give that role to Joffrey. This shows her to be more sympathetic as she's a mother who can't control her monster-son rather than a woman shamelessly seeing her husbands children dead for the threat they hold to her own power (or children's power). This is portraying a character differently but it's also 'whitewashing' as they are censoring her plot decisions.

Cersei has been made more differenciated, nuanced and more relatable in the series and I like that. She is not a a cardboard villain and she was not meant to be by Martin. So the showmakers only highlighted what has been in her character from the beginning.

Yes, Ill admit saying the show is 'whitewashing' Shae is a bit of a stretch at this point as we haven't reached the betrayal scene and don't know her motivations behind it. However, in Season 3 she refuses the Gold Varys offers her (being the loyal lover to Tyrion) which is something she wouldn't have done in the books in my opinion- again, portraying her in a more positive light.

The story is simply a different one and this was the only way to have Shae more present in the series. We will simply have to wait how her story will go, maybe the fall will be even deeper

The term 'character assassination' is a little extreme but it gets the point across- changing a character from their original source material to the point where the character is non-present on the screen. Or they have killed off all the likeable aspects of the character.

Why can't people use the phrases 'whitewashing' and 'character assassination' instead of 'different characterization as the books?'

Because 'different characterization' expresses that the poster is aware of having a personal opinion about the quality of said different characterization. Those terms 'whitewashing' and 'character assassination' show an unwillingness of seeing one's own opinion as subject to debate. The poster presents her- or himself as not only untouchable by arguments but also as a hundred times more clever than the showmakers, which is, frankly, immature arrogance.

Because 'different characterization' expresses that the poster is aware of having a personal opinion about the quality of said different characterization. Those terms 'whitewashing' and 'character assassination' show an unwillingness of seeing one's own opinion as subject to debate. The poster presents her- or himself as not only untouchable by arguments but also as a hundred times more clever than the showmakers, which is, frankly, immature arrogance.

I agree, I've never really liked the phrase 'character assassination' it's too extreme a judgement in my opinion. People tend to forget D&D have read the books and know the characters GRRM created. However, people are entitled to their opinions and they may not like the way the show is portraying a character or they may. It's all a matter of opinion really, and I don't think expressing their view is right or wrong (or arrogant). They have read the books just the same as D&D but may interpret things differently. As a reader they will develop personal opinions of a character but as a show runner they have to push this aside and think about what suits the wider audience.

who says ww are evil ? We nearly know nothing about them. They are a different race, but they can't be plain evil warmongers and livin' for a kill. Not in GRRM's head. That is JRRT or any other fantasy story, but not GRRM, where you can sympathise with each and every character, all the while fighting each other.

My point was that the point of his character is that he was alive long ago, and still remembers (at least partially) his old self. He's not just a WW who happens to be a good guy. If they're not going to include that aspect of his character, they can just have Jojen or a pack of crows lead them to Bloodraven: there's no need to overly complicate the plot by sticking in a friendly WW, which would probably just confuse the audience given that the only thing we've seen WWs do in the entire series (books or show) is kill people. There's just no practical reason for the show to make CH a WW.

I dont believe the WW at the end is Coldhands, as I looks to much like a WW, and I believe that would confuse the casual viewer as they would think oh the WW arent all bad guys (unless D&D know GRRM plans to make the WW not all bad). I feel this may be in a certain situation as in LOTR when they excluded Tom Bombadil from the movie, as can you imagine explaining to people why this guy doesnt go invisable when he puts on the ring while others do, I had already hard enough time explaining everything to my firends and family. So I believe this may be the situation in WW at the end, if it is Coldhands which I doubt then they will have to show him very different from the WW and not just his eyes, cause they could confuse the casual viewers, in which some dont get the full understanding of certain characters already.

In terms of character assassination, lets reserve our judgement once s4 is finished before the get the pitch forks

^I don't think anyone has a definitive answer for that one yet. But we'll likely find out by episode one or two when folks are still getting informed of the RW. Which main cast members don't know about it yet? Jon, Bran and Theon. So the person saying that was likely telling one of those three.

Archived