[Spoilers] True Detective III: You're not getting a read on Cohle, he's getting a read on you

Mexal

God, this was nerve-racking! I have felt that way in very few films, and for TV it's unbelievable.

I think this is the best episode yet, and I actually prefer this slower pace to that of episode 4.

The shot of the industrial area at the beginning, the shot of Cohle shooting, of the (haunted!) forest, of the school, with all the Madonnas, were stunning and terrifying at the same time.

A few points:

-The sequence with the daughters drove me nuts. I expected something terrible to happen.

Do you think there's any importance to the tiara? We have the antlers, the King who presumably wears a crown, and then, the girls fighting over a tiara..

-Rust investigating is the most probable explanation. However, what the detectives said about him leading the investigation wherever he wanted to made sense. I remember that in episode 2, when he found the second body, I didn't really see the connection, there weren't many links between the two murders. And it did seem like a shady coincidence that Ledoux HAPPENED to be working for Rust's old gang. At some point, the detectives say that "maybe you knew the ledoux boys from before", and they hit the nail on the head, although supposedly they don't know about "Crash".

I don't believe that he is the King in Yellow, nor that he killed Dora Lane. But the whole second body-Ledoux story could have happened like the detectives laid it out.

-Also, I really don't understand what Marty meant by what he's repeated twice: "I didn't pay attention to what was under my nose". And then he says: "That woman. Those kids." Does he mean Lane and the two kids they found, or his own wife and his daughters?

I think its interesting that the creator sees both Marty and Cohle as clear cut heroes, not anti-heroes or anything else like that. Maybe the guy is just sick of the term anti-hero being slapped on every character that isn't a pure hearted paladin.

So wait, wait, WAIT ! Does this mean that there is no more further public developments in the case until the present? The general consensus is that Ledoux is the one the public deems the killer, and that Cohle has been undercover looking for evidence for ten years. This doesn't make sense to me.

The Fontenot girl(or however you spell it). In the first episode, the interviewing detectives ask about this girl and what lead to them investigating about her. This insinuates that the Fontenot girl is related to the case, but we have heard nothing about her since then. Why would the interviewing detective's ask about a quick side investigation that led to nothing? No. Something happens with the case related to this girl after 2002 and before Hart and Cohle have their "falling out".

Also the fact that Cohle has apparently been investigating for ten years. TEN YEARS. This seems way too out there for me. I think they find another suspect in 2002. We know there is one more episode before the "flashback" story line is completed. There is also many times in the narrative where Hart mentions that they "got their man". Why would Hart say this if there was doubt that Reggie Ledoux is the killer. The investigators tell Hart that maybe Cohle kept on investigating to find a "patsy". Maybe this supposed patsy is a new suspect, that the interviewers vaguely don't mention by name as a plot device to not spoiler it.

Okay this last stuff is kind of out there. But I'm still confused about the Fontenot girl lol.

there are a number of things that I like about this show but one thing sticks in my mind :

Cohle simply looks at............,, then says immediately something to the effect of " we got to make this look right! "

knowing and believing that what your partner just did made sense and just going with it.

there was no argument... no questions asked.

obligation owed and paid.

( note: how do I put the spoiler inside . "

Also the fact that Cohle has apparently been investigating for ten years. TEN YEARS. This seems way too out there for me. I think they find another suspect in 2002. We know there is one more episode before the "flashback" story line is completed. There is also many times in the narrative where Hart mentions that they "got their man". Why would Hart say this if there was doubt that Reggie Ledoux is the killer. The investigators tell Hart that maybe Cohle kept on investigating to find a "patsy". Maybe this supposed patsy is a new suspect, that the interviewers vaguely don't mention by name as a plot device to not spoiler it.

Okay this last stuff is kind of out there. But I'm still confused about the Fontenot girl lol.

If it is a conspiracy involving local government and the police force then I can see how it could take a while to get enough evidence to take everyone down. Then again that's assuming Cohle hasn't been dishing out a little vigilante justice over the last 10 years. Maybe other people have been disappearing who are members of the conspiracy. they did say Tuttle was dead right?

Thanks for this. I didn't catch the fact that Cohle was drinking so that everything would be inadmissible but makes perfect sense and fits in with Cohle.

You're welcome :cheers:

I didn't catch that either.

Although I definitely don't think Rust is the killer, I'm wondering if he didn't find out Tuttle was behind the scenes of some of this and maybe decided to off him in 2010....

the tiara:

my take on this is that Audrey didn't like that Macey was wearing something similar to a crown.

only the king may wear the crown.

she has been drawn into that cult.

from a young age.

I think it was she who was doing the babie gang bang scene , showing macey how it's done.

she was more interested in Cohle back in the day.

she took the tiara from macey as in her mind, macey wearing a tiara was being disrespectful

The big sister is obviously up to some shit, but I'm also interesting in the little sister. In 2002 she is played by a girl who also stars in Walking Dead. On that show, she's quite the little psychopath, so maybe that's where her acting talent lies, and they decide to hire her for this role for that reason. Both of the Hart children of the rails; I quite like it.

camera/directoring: the pullback on Cohle holding the stick token, revealing the stars on the broken window was nicely done. appears drawn by a finger in the dirt- so another clue that it was relatively recent.

in Thread II, someone asked the name of the woman Heart and Soul spoke to after coming back from seeing charlie lange. I believe that this would be the Carol or Carole he mentioned as being a friend of Dora's. He scribbled her name on a piece of paper after being told " name and telephone number / address " .

Carol had the black starts on her neck.

I thought that she was at a gas station and naively assumed that she worked there in some capacity.

other people gave me a rude awakening on that topic as they saw the same thing but interpreted the goings-on quite differently

The big sister is obviously up to some shit, but I'm also interesting in the little sister. In 2002 she is played by a girl who also stars in Walking Dead. On that show, she's quite the little psychopath, so maybe that's where her acting talent lies, and they decide to hire her for this role for that reason. Both of the Hart children of the ; I: quite like it.

maybe they both are psychos. I think the little sister is macey. she is the one who remained 'suburban- american- dream consistent ".

you mention the little sister and her other role as a psychopath on WD. {edit ] i have to figure out my cursor issues;- is the little sister a psychopath or are you suggesting that she has talent in acting in whatever manner she is requested. as she is doing what is most often seen as " normal' or desired. I am think that what you meant was that she is a good actress.

At this moment in the show, I don't see audrey as a psychopath yet I will defer to whatever people want to use to describe her.

about Audrey:

at what point does one say " I was brainwashed into believing this shit" as opposed " this is what I believe and I found people who believe what I believe or can explain what I don't understand. "

she was introduced to stuff at a very young age , stuff that was beyond her comprehension. she incorporated those concept/tenents into her own developing personality.

. Both of the Hart children of the rails; I quite like it.

yup. me too. However, I don't isee either of them as being off the rails as much as exploring different paths, having made different interpretations of the same event leading to different choices being made.

Harts reaction to Audrey's choice simply slapped in the face, simply cements her conviction that her viewpoint is correct.

Maggie telling Macey, who said "Audrey hit me in the head " , of " stay in your room, this doesn't concern you!" simply cements Macey's viewpoint that she is a neglected or ignored child. )

it had a lot to do with her. she was yelled at by Audrey ( you could hear it off screen ) , hit in the head, then told " you don't matter so shut up !" by her mother.

the child that did the negative thing gets all the attention.

the child that behaves is left to their own devices.

we don't see Maggie going back to Macey's room so maybe she does latter. We can't assume that she did .

the issue being shown is how a parent's action or inaction / inattentiveness leads to development issues.

and parents make mistakes. parents influence their children's life in ways that the parents themselves don't understand. Maggie may think that she's a wonderful mother as she tried to be sympathetic /compassionate to Audrey . However, she fails to understand the significance of her dismissal of Macey.

she will go back to apologize to macey- but macey has now learned to be polite and she will simply accept the apology for her mother's oversight.

and becomes an apologist.

and she will do the same thing with her daughters/ sons.

one will grow up as Audrey . the other will grow up as herself.

it's one big flat circle.

I agree they aren't anti-heroes, insofar as their jobs are concerned. They aren't on the take, they put their lives at risk for others.

They aren't Vic Mackey or Walter White or Tony Soprano.

Cohle is more like Jimmy McNulty, willing to break rules and take major risks to achieve a just outcome.

Archived