Rickon's Role

.Scream

I don't see Sansa being in control of Rickon whatsoever in the saga, there are two books left and GRRM has built up a lot towards 2 main events:

1. The Others invasion.

2. Dany's emergence in Westeros.

Plus if anything I think Sansa won't even make it to Winterfell, that's just me.

I don't see Sansa being in control of Rickon whatsoever in the saga, there are two books left and GRRM has built up a lot towards 2 main events:

1. The Others invasion.

Plus if anything I think Sansa won't even make it to Winterfell, that's just me.

i don't see Sansa as a Stark anymore; besides Rob, Lady was killed, effectively "killing" the Stark in her... i still think she has a major role to play, but based out of the Vale of course

i don't see Sansa as a Stark anymore; besides Rob, Lady was killed, effectively "killing" the Stark in her... i still think she has a major role to play, but based out of the Vale of course

Yet ironically the death of lady brought her closer to the North. She is completely disillusioned by the splendor of the south and yearns for the North and Winterfell. Sounds to me the Stark hasn't been "killed" in her.

1. The Others invasion.

Yet her narrative tells otherwise. All of the POV Stark children miss their family and the memories of Winterfell, especially Arya with her 'pack' mentality, yet Sansa is the one who is physically yearning for Winterfell and her narrative has been about getting closer to her Northern roots. Plus GRRM picks her - out of all the Starks children - to rebuild Winterfell out of snow and don't forget the line: "I am stronger within the walls of winterfell". So I would say that is foreshadowed that Sansa will end up in Winterfell. And guess what if the North wishes to rise up again they will need the political tactics, especially if they are up against the South. Who else than the Stark who has been learning how the game works?

Yet ironically the death of lady brought her closer to the North. She is completely disillusioned by the splendor of the south and yearns for the North and Winterfell. Sounds to me the Stark hasn't been "killed" in her.

I agree with this.

I still don't see her ending up as lady of Winterfell though. It feels wrong. All of her experience with court intrigue, politics and strategy would be no use there.

I agree with this.

I still don't see her ending up as lady of Winterfell though. It feels wrong. All of her experience with court intrigue, politics and strategy would be no use there.

If you interpret her narrative that way then fair enough. I disagree with you there. One of the reasons why the North went down was because of how foreign the South felt to them with all the court intrigue, politics and strategy. Even though they were part of the Seven Kingdoms the North kind of was detached from the rest and such attitude won't help them survive in the future. If/when Rickon becomes King in the North he will need a political adviser who understands how the South works. And who better than Sansa for that job.

If you interpret her narrative that way then fair enough. I disagree with you there. One of the reasons why the North went down was because of how foreign the South felt to them with all the court intrigue, politics and strategy. Even though they were part of the Seven Kingdoms the North kind of was detached from the rest and such attitude won't help them survive in the future. If/when Rickon becomes King in the North he will need a political adviser who understands how the South works. And who better than Sansa for that job.

Well Manderly is pretty good.

I see Sansa reconnecting with whatever is left of her family at some point, and maybe even advising them in some capacity. But I think her role is ultimately not in the North.

Yet her narrative tells otherwise. All of the POV Stark children miss their family and the memories of Winterfell, especially Arya with her 'pack' mentality, yet Sansa is the one who is physically yearning for Winterfell and her narrative has been about getting closer to her Northern roots. Plus GRRM picks her - out of all the Starks children - to rebuild Winterfell out of snow and don't forget the line: "I am stronger within the walls of winterfell". So I would say that is foreshadowed that Sansa will end up in Winterfell. And guess what if the North wishes to rise up again they will need the political tactics, especially if they are up against the South. Who else than the Stark who has been learning how the game works?

Well written and I see where you're coming from on that. But the unbeaten Young Wolf had a plan too, one time. All it takes is for someone to throw a wrench in the works and all that was worked for is wasted.

Well written and I see where you're coming from on that. But the unbeaten Young Wolf had a plan too, one time. All it takes is for someone to throw a wrench in the works and all that was worked for is wasted.

Sure you have a point, but I don't see any Stark dying from this point. It would make the story bitter instead of bittersweet.

Rickon is to young to have a significant role in the revenge for the Starks, one of the big reasons I think why Martin wanted the 5 year gap, but now he will just be a 'mascot' for the North, just as Manderly already said, without Rickon they can't do anything. I don't think the North will wait for Rickon to become older, they will go batshit crazy on the Boltons and the Frey's as soon as they have him.

One of the few things I will like for what the tv show will likely change, an older Rickon, fighting alongside his liege lords and taking revenge for his family. You don't even want to know the sweet joy that one will give me while watching...

It's true...show Rickon will be old enough to ride a unicorn and use Shaggy to upset the opposing side's horses just like big brother Robb did....

Then what was the point of bringing him back to the story. To be killed? No way. We don't know what his role will be, but he has a part to play.

We don't actually know he even is coming back do we? All we know is Davos was sent after him. But he may get caught in a storm and end up at Hardhome instead. We don't know if they will even connect.

We don't actually know he even is coming back do we? All we know is Davos was sent after him. But he may get caught in a storm and end up at Hardhome instead. We don't know if they will even connect.

There is also a possibility that he ends up in fighting the others storyline. I mean Skagos is closer to the wall. Though I do think he will end up at WInterfell in the end. Out of all the Starks along with Sansa I see him ending up in Winterfell.

If Jon's alive I can see the Starks uniting in some capacity in the final book.

Prediction for Rickon in TWoW: In the second half of the book he'll be brought to Winterfell by Davos and they'll declare for Stannis while Rickon takes over Winterfell with Manderly helping him rule.

If Jon's alive I can see the Starks uniting in some capacity in the final book.

Prediction for Rickon in TWoW: In the second half of the book he'll be brought to Winterfell by Davos and they'll declare for Stannis while Rickon takes over Winterfell with Manderly helping him rule.

I can see this happening. And then I can see him dying for it. This is part of why I am worried for him.

I can see this happening. And then I can see him dying for it. This is part of why I am worried for him.

Me too. That northern wildness didn't work out to well for Uncle Brandon and Aunt Lyanna. The fact that Rickon hasn't had a POV, and GRRM has said there will be no new ones added, adds to my worry. We never had a Robb POV, and look what happened to him. I know, Rickon was too little to add much, but still...we're not invested in him quite the same way and it's possible the author isn't as invested in him either, so he's a good candidate for being killed off without too much emotional devastation as a result.

Def. forgot about her Winterfell snow fort, but I'm just big on the sort of "prophecy" of the direwolf pups: the mother being killed by a stag and the 5 pups representing the 5 Stark children, and Jon's pup being somewhat detached. I'm not writing your theory off by any means and I could see Sansa return to rule WF, but I like the idea of Sansa slowly becoming estranged from her WF roots. For the same reasons you see Sansa as a fitting ruler of WF for her ability to play the "game", i see that sort of cutthroat mentality (especially under the tutelage of Little Finger) making Sansa a fitting dark horse candidate for the Iron Throne, beating Little Finger in his own game.

And as far as the North's outlook on this "game" goes, perhaps that works in the opposite direction: Tywin's cunning, backdoor moves seemed to have defeated the Starks, but Ned's unfaltering honor goes deep with the lords he ruled. Their loyalty runs further than skin deep, and they (Manderly and company) seem capable of playing the game themselves.

I think Rickon's reappearance is going to be tragic as well - maybe not for him personally, but definitely for the North.

I can see Davos returning to White Harbor with Rickon, Shaggydog, Osha and an "army" of Skagosi, the North rises for Rickon/Stannis and since I assume Stannis will already have taken care of the Boltons, the Northmen will want to march to the Twins to get revenge on Lord Walder and free the Greatjon (he is being held captive at the Twins, right? Or did they send him south somewhere? I can't remember). Stannis will go along with it because it's the next logical place to attack with the Boltons destroyed and to keep the North loyal. It will be a very bloody battle that the Northmen will, in the end, win, but Stannis will be furious at the cost. He goes off with what remains of his non-Northern followers back to the Wall and they get consumed by the Others, Stannis becomes the Night King. The Northmen, weakened by the battles against the Boltons and the Freys, can't stand against the Others (although in all likelihood they couldn't have anyway even if Ned was still alive and he had the full strength of the North with him to fight back). Rickon's return destroys the human enemies of the Starks in the North but makes it all the easier for the Others to get to and past the Neck. I hope it's a little happier for Rickon but I think something like that is going to happen. I don't think he'll be killed off but it will be a long while before he can return to WF as Lord and Warden of the North.

If the Stannis / Mandalay faction wins, Rikon will be little more than a figurehead controlled by whoever ends up most powerful in the North (unless by some BS Lord Snow is named as regent)

However the think I am most looking forward to is the showdown between Shaggy Dog and Ramsays Girls as the Bastard of the Dreadfort has been training them to fight Direwolves

Archived