Rickon's Role

.Scream

Def. forgot about her Winterfell snow fort, but I'm just big on the sort of "prophecy" of the direwolf pups: the mother being killed by a stag and the 5 pups representing the 5 Stark children, and Jon's pup being somewhat detached. I'm not writing your theory off by any means and I could see Sansa return to rule WF, but I like the idea of Sansa slowly becoming estranged from her WF roots. For the same reasons you see Sansa as a fitting ruler of WF for her ability to play the "game", i see that sort of cutthroat mentality (especially under the tutelage of Little Finger) making Sansa a fitting dark horse candidate for the Iron Throne, beating Little Finger in his own game.

And as far as the North's outlook on this "game" goes, perhaps that works in the opposite direction: Tywin's cunning, backdoor moves seemed to have defeated the Starks, but Ned's unfaltering honor goes deep with the lords he ruled. Their loyalty runs further than skin deep, and they (Manderly and company) seem capable of playing the game themselves.

But what you want from Sansa isn't happening. She is only get closer and closer to her Northern roots and even though Winterfell is at ruin she still wants to return home. Plus she is right now, strategically speaking, the best place where a Stark can be for a reconquest of the North/Winterfell. If there is one thing I am very sure of is that Sansa will rebuild Winterfell. Her ending up as ruler in the North is likely, but there is also a big chance it won't happen. What I see happening is Sansa temporarily holding the seat in Winterfell till Rickon returns and she steps down. The Manderly's may be good, but they weren't in the viper's nest called the Red Keep. With the way I see it the lords of the North would definitely appreciate a Stark who understands and could handle the South. Sansa would be perfect as political adviser during Rickon's reign and be the lady of winterfell till he marries. It is highly likely Sansa will end up the "Queen of Thorns" type in the North. She will not necessarily hold an official title, but hold a good deal of power.

"The wolves will return to Winterfell..."-Jojen

I think all of the remaining Stark children and Jon will reunite at WF, eventually. We know from each of their dreams and warging ability they-Starks and their direwolves- long to be together. And know that summer, shaggydog, ghost and nymeria are still alive.

Rickon and Shaggy will arrive first, with Osha and Davos. I will agree with others that the Skagosi will be with them-hopefully with some awesome info.

I think there has been so much written about Ramsey's bitches, his pride for them, and him training them to kill wolves, that when his downfall comes he will get to see 1-4 Stark direwolves eye to eye before they epically tear his "girls" to pieces.

"The wolves will return to Winterfell..."-Jojen

I think all of the remaining Stark children and Jon will reunite at WF, eventually. We know from each of their dreams and warging ability they-Starks and their direwolves- long to be together. And know that summer, shaggydog, ghost and nymeria are still alive.

Rickon and Shaggy will arrive first, with Osha and Davos. I will agree with others that the Skagosi will be with them-hopefully with some awesome info.

I think there has been so much written about Ramsey's bitches, his pride for them, and him training them to kill wolves, that when his downfall comes he will get to see 1-4 Stark direwolves eye to eye before they epically tear his "girls" to pieces.

:agree:

Ramsay's dogs are trained to fight regular wolves. A full size direwolf (or a whole mini-pack) will make short work of them. Would be great if Shaggydog led the charge. The symbolism of the youngest Stark's wolf taking out a Bolton bitch is just beautiful.

Sorry folks but I think we've seen the last of Rickon, the boy.

I'm thinking (the boy) will be a prologue or epilogue POV.

When the body dies, his spirit will go into Shaggydog. Davos either finds Osha with a big black Direwolf, who now answers to the name of Rickon or more likely, Davos gets to meet up with Rickon & co before his first "death" so he is certain that the "Stark boy" is now inside the direwolf.

Then they end up in the Vale and Sansa is a Stark with a direwolf again & it changes everything LF has planned.

When the body dies, his spirit will go into Shaggydog. Davos either finds Osha with a big black Direwolf, who now answers to the name of Rickon or more likely, Davos gets to meet up with Rickon & co before his first "death" so he is certain that the "Stark boy" is now inside the direwolf.

Then they end up in the Vale and Sansa is a Stark with a direwolf again & it changes everything LF has planned.

GRRM said there will be no new PsOV in the last two books. I'm thinking that includes prologues and epilogues.

GRRM said there will be no new PsOV in the last two books. I'm thinking that includes prologues and epilogues.

I really doubt it. The pro and eps have always been characters we don't usually get in POV and have been his tool for giving context he has no other way of giving.

That's a freakin' awesome theory. All these people who are involving Rickon in 'the game' will surely be wrong. The time for games is over. It is now a time for Direwolves, Dragons and darkness.

Don't be ridiculous people. No Stark will die from this point (with the exception of Jon). Nor do I think that Rickon will go into Shaggydog -_-

I'd be willing to bet my house on the fact that at least one more stark will be dead by series end.

I'd be willing to bet my house on the fact that at least one more stark will be dead by series end.

If there will be another stark death it's obviously Jon. He has "Dying for the greater good" all written over his forehead. It won't be Rickon I am quite sure.

It was bound to happen, I disagree with The Sun of Dorne on something, love her posts.

Rickon's death does not have to make the series wrap up as bitter. It may or may not! There's very little narrative flesh on this character's bones. So, the more GRRM adds flesh to Rickon in TWOW and ADOS, the more likely his death would make the series ending bitter.

GRRM seems to like to break conventions. If Rickon is to die, must it be some epic situation. Maybe it might be deafeningly silent in drama.

Imagine Shaggy Dog being unruly after, and imagine Sansa having to order Shaggy Dog's death to save an innocent. Shocking!

All that said, I don't see any of this dead Rickon stuff happening. Yet, it is plausible: GRRM could do so.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What if it seems that WH is unable to reach because of the frozen sea. Maybe they can rally the Skagosi soldiers to go over land to WF or it turns out the Skagosi are the token force for taking the DF after they helped the Thenns in Karhold. Then after the battled of WF, while Stannis is on the point of executing Manderly, they receive a message from Davos that he was going to Skagos to retrieve Rickon Stark on the orders of Manderly and that the Skagosi have taken the DF. Then Stannis can't execute Manderly.

Rickon is coming back as the crazy Stark, every family has a nutjob. He was already an angry kid before he disappeared, and to go off with a wildling to the nutty isle of Skagos. With Bran going to live a symbiotic life with a weirwood he could, with being the last male heir of the Stark house, be the nutty psycho king of the north

I think the Rickon story will be, quite literally as per his wolf's name, one big long shaggydog story. Long, arduous, eventually boring - and eventually pointless.

That is to say: Bringing Rickon back will either end up failing, or proving useless because he's unsuitable to rule, or he will die when he gets back.

I think the Rickon story will be, quite literally as per his wolf's name, one big long shaggydog story. Long, arduous, eventually boring - and eventually pointless.

That is to say: Bringing Rickon back will either end up failing, or proving useless because he's unsuitable to rule, or he will die when he gets back.

I argue the opposite in this thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98515-queen-shireen-and-the-shaggydog/ .

Because so far Rickon's story has not been a "shaggy dog" story because its barely there. A shaggy dog story is suppose to waste the readers time.

Instead, I think he is going to be a pivotal character in one of the most important political arenas: King's Landing's King Consort, presumably after a marriage to Shireen. This is obviously speculation, but it gives the throne to the lawful heir as per Eddard's wishes, finally creates that constantly missed Baratheon and Stark marriage, gives Rickon something to do when Bran inherits Winterfell, and it gives the reader the fun scenario of Rickon throwing the most nervous dinner parties in King's Landing.

Archived