GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

Listen guys, last night I was alseep and I had dream, and in this dream Goodkind (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us) came to me and told me that do to the great stresses of this world and the importance of getting the message out, all the lovely women of this thread need to "help relieve the stress" of Mad Moose. Seriously, they guy is under tremendous pressure in getting the QoTD up. He is anxiously awaiting to distill phantom down for all of us. It is the will of Terry (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us).

:rofl: Thanks 14D, send them to me two at a time for I just received word that Phantom is on its way. Oh the stress! I need relief!

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

That QOTD is demeaning to men and women - where is the emotion, the tough choices, the good writing???

Oops, sorry, forgot it was Goodkind there for a second, thought maybe Jordan had done that one.

seriously, that was terrible.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

That QOTD is demeaning to men and women - where is the emotion, the tough choices, the good writing???

Oops, sorry, forgot it was Goodkind there for a second, thought maybe Jordan had done that one.

seriously, that was terrible.

It's there somewhere...thrown into the trash can....

I believe that Objectivists regard Bertrand Russell as having been, ultimately, a failure, and that his work on mathematics was superceded by the brilliance of one A. Rand. ;)

Glad to hear it was a much more subtle allegory though. :P

His name's Bertrand Chambor or something, and his wife's initials are H.C. I read in a TG interview that it's no coincidence they're the same as a certain president and his wife. Great satire, no?

Now it makes sense. I fear you're right :P

Ask and ye shall receive. It doesn’t specifically say anywhere that the STD gets spread on purpose, but as you’ll see, the suggestion is certainly there. But anyhoo, its still worth taking a look at in today’s Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day.

Our boy Dalton has been making a point to screw his wife as much as possible, during the time that she’s not off satisfying the Sovereign. During those times when she is with the Sovereign, Dalton decides to take the Sovereign’s wife up on an offer she made when she first informed him that the Sovereign and his wife were doing it. The Sovereign’s wife is a slut, and the more I read, the more they seem like the Clintons.

Dalton allowed himself a couple of days to recover after being with Tess. It had been an experience he once would have found the height of his existence. It once would have been a source of joy.

After the experience, though, he needed to deprive himself of Tess for several days in order to be in a state of heightened need for a task such as he must now perform.

The hallway was deserted outside her quarters and offices. Bertrand was in the opposite wing, with Teresa, having the stresses of his high office relieved. Dalton had made sure it was a time when Teresa was with Bertrand. The thought of it would help him to focus on the work at hand.

Bertrand and his wife made sure they rarely encountered one another. Having their quarters in opposite wings helped.

She did sometimes visit him, though. Their screaming battles were legendary among the staff. Bertrand one day sported a cut over his eye. He was usually able to duck the objects she hurled at him, but on that occasion she had caught him off guard.

Partly because of Hildemara’s popularity, but mostly because of her dangerous connections, Bertrand dared not confront, cross, or do away with his wife. She had warned him he had better hope she didn’t die a sudden death of natural causes – or any other causes – lest his own health suddenly fail, too.

<snip>

It was a relationship that had worked on this estranged level for years, and had borne them a daughter neither cared for. <blah blah blah>

Hildemara opened the door herself. A good sign, he thought. She was wearing a dress more revealing than usual. Another good sign, he hoped, since she had known he was coming.

“Dalton, how kind of you to ask to pay me a visit. I’ve wondered how you’ve been getting along and thought a talk long overdue. So, how have you been, since your wife has been service the needs of our Sovereign?â€

He shrugged. “I’ve come to my way of dealing with it.â€

Hildemara smiled, a cat seeing a mouse <snip>

Dalton clasped his hands behind his back. “For opening my eyes..†He gestured behind himself and smiled. “And your door, I might add.â€

She chuckled politely. “I sometimes open my door to handsome men. I find it a…sometimes rewarding experience.†<slut>

He closed the distance and took up her hand, kissing the back of it while looking her in the eye. He thought it a pathetically contrived act, but she responded as if she believed it sincere, and as if she were well pleased by the token of respect. <blah blah>

“I must admit, Hildemara, that I have been…lonely, what with my wife so often…occupied. I never expected to find myself with a wife so often unavailable.â€

She clucked sympathetically. “You poor dear. I know just how you feel. My husband is so often occupied himself.â€

Dalton turned away, as if embarrassed. “Since my wife is no longer bound by our vows, I find I have…desires she is unable to satisfy. I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’m not experienced in this sort of thing. Most men, I guess, would find this sort of endeavor comes naturally to them. I don’t.â€

She came close up behind him, putting her mouth next to his ear. “Do go on, Dalton. I’m listening. Don’t be shy – we’re old friends.â€

He turned to come face-to-face with her, giving her the chance to display her cleavage – something she believed was greatly appreciated. <sounds like she's a real hottie>

“Since my wife no longer is bound by her vows, being called upon by the Sovereign, I don’t see why I should be bound by mine. Especially when I have…longings.â€

“Well, of course not.â€

“And you once told me that I should come to you first, if anything changed with the status of my vows. Well, if you’re still interested, things have changed.â€

Her answer was to kiss him. He found it less repulsive than he feared. By closing his eyes he was able to actually enjoy it, after a fashion. <yeah, she's hot>

He was surprised, though, when she shifted immediately to the more advanced matters of the encounter. It would make little difference in the end result. If she wanted to go straight to it, that was fine by him.

So the two of them are doing it purely out of spite, and though it isn’t said outright, you do get a sense that there is more to Dalton’s plan than getting laid. A couple chapters later it wraps up, after Kahlan has been beaten half to death and the Imperial Order forces have shown up and destroyed the Anderith army and have been going on their usual spree of raping and murdering the locals. Dalton finds where Richard and Kahlan are and shows up to say goodbye.

“May I say, Lord Rahl, that in another time, another place, I think we could have been friends.â€

“I don’t,†Richard said.

The man shrugged. “Maybe not.†He pulled a folded blanket from under his arm. “I brought this, in case you need another to keep your wife warm.â€

Richard was confused by the man, and by what he wanted. Dalton placed the blanket off to the side in the carriage. Richard figured that Dalton could have caused a lot of trouble if he intended it, so that wasn’t what he was about.

“I just wanted to wish you good luck. I hope the mother Confessor will be well, soon. The Midlands needs her. ‘she is a fine woman. I’m sorry I tried to have her killed.â€

“What did you say?†<killkillkilll>

He looked up into Richard’s eyes. “I’m the one who sent those men. If you get your magic back, Lord Rahl, please don’t try to heal her with it. A Sister of the Dark provided a spell to kill her with the dark side of the magic, if healing is tried on what was done to her. You must let her get better on her own.â€

Richard thought he should be killing the man, but for some reason, he was just standing there, staring at him as he confessed.

“If you wish to kill me, please feel free. I don’t really care.â€

“What do you mean?â€

“You have a wife who loves you. Cherish her.â€

“And your wife?â€

Dalton shrugged. “Ah well, I’m afraid she isn’t going to make it.â€

Richard frowned. “What are you talking about?â€

“There is a nasty illness going around among the prostitutes in Fairfield. Somehow, my wife, the Sovereign, his wife, and I have acquired it. We are already coming ill. Very unfortunate. It’s an unpleasant death, I’m told.

“The poor Sovereign is weeping and inconsolable. Considering it was the one thing he feared above all else, one would think he would have been more careful in choosing his partners.

“The Dominie Dirtch, too, I’ve heard, have crumbled to dust. All our work seems to be coming undone. I expect that Emperor Jagang, when he arrives, is going to be quite displeased.’

“we can hope,†Richard said.

Dalton smiled. “Well, I’ve things to do, unless, of course, you wish to kill me.â€

Richard smiled at the man.

“A wise woman told me that the people are the willing accomplices of tyranny. They make those like you possible.

“I’m going to do the worst possible thing I could do to you and your people – what my grandfather would have done to you.

“I’m going to leave you all to suffer the consequences of your own actions." <uh huh>

~Terry Goodkind, Soul of the Fire

She chuckled politely. “I sometimes open my door to handsome men. I find it a…sometimes rewarding experience.†<slut>

Hell of a long post there, MM, hang tough!

But this little sentence is telling...I see Mr. Goodkind might be a believer in those rumors of Mrs. Clinton's lack of like for the boys... :P

Of course it was deliberate on Daltons part, he was told earlier in the book about the STD going round the whorehouses and IIRC there is a scene where he goes to a visit such a place though it does not describe what he does there.

For those wondering this is what passes for foreshadowing in Sword of Truth and is quite possibly the only real example of it to be found given TG's love of deus ex machina.

Of course it was deliberate on Daltons part, he was told earlier in the book about the STD going round the whorehouses and IIRC there is a scene where he goes to a visit such a place though it does not describe what he does there.

I remember Dalton talking about the diseases going around the local whores earlier in the book, but I don't recall him going into a whorehouse. And I don't have the energy to look for it, so I'll have to take your word for it for now.

For those wondering this is what passes for foreshadowing in Sword of Truth and is quite possibly the only real example of it to be found given TG's love of deus ex machina.

Also this is fairly represenative of his ability to write irony. Oh-my three charecters taken down due to their lust, and done so by a sexcaully transmitted diesiese. How ever could one forsee them getting such a come-upance.

Ayn shook the blood off her hand, and laughed, a clear, ringing laugh that brought joy to all who heard it. Soon the students were weeping with joy. But Ayn's task was not over. Pulling the head and right leg from the aging philosopher, she fashioned a crude club and swiftly slaughtered the faithless students, until not one supporter of Logical Atomism remained to pollute the campus.

:bow:

MinDonner -- an amazing show of intellectual purity and purpose. This should be taught on all campuses throughout this immortal and corrupt land. Especially New York and California.

So...

Basically, in order to get his revenge on 'B.C', Dalton condemns himself and his wife - who we are told he genuinely loves, despite the fact that she is unbelievably naive - to an agonising death?

Couldn't he just have, you know, poisoned the guy or something? Was the additional irony really worth taking Teresa's life?

Basically, in order to get his revenge on 'B.C', Dalton condemns himself and his wife - who we are told he genuinely loves, despite the fact that she is unbelievably naive - to an agonising death?

Couldn't he just have, you know, poisoned the guy or something? Was the additional irony really worth taking Teresa's life?

ahh, but Mormont that wouldn't show his great moral clarity (or lack of) and would contradict TG's superb characterisation (or lack of) and knowledge of the human condition (or lack of)...

Shouldn't that read: "Ron Jeremy weilding HIS Sword of Truth."?

Actually, I thought Ron Jeremy IS the Sword of Truth...unless, of course, Randyll Tarly is.

Well being that the Bertrand charecter was without clarity, he therefore was unable to take direct action against what he saw was wrong so instead used a convoluted approach. Had he been a morally clear charecter that valued life and freedom he would have stopped his wife as soon as he heard her riduculus story, then stopped working for the soveriegn, then cut his privates off and fed them to him. Such is the weakness of those lacking clear moral charecter.

Archived