GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

I'M A TERRORIST!!!! FEAR ME BITCHES!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh yes, we are very afraid. :rofl:

When you choose to move from simply good-natured roasting, and twist it into character assignation and demeaning a person for their beliefs, you then become the very thing against which freedom stands, you then become a terrorist. I choose not to go that far.

I think the word is assasination, mystar. derived from the ancient cult Hashishin or Hashashiyyin, who according to popular belief derive their name from their use of hasish when they kill their targets.

Sorry. I'm in a nitpicking mood. :P

I think the word is assasination, mystar. derived from the ancient cult Hashishin or Hashashiyyin, who according to popular belief derive their name from their use of hasish when they kill their targets.

No, no:

From Dictionary.com:

"An appointment for a meeting between lovers; a tryst."

So we're secretly in love with Goodkind, and therefore terrorists. Duh.

I just want to state a few things here:

1) This and all the other threads have made for great slow work days :).

2) MinDonner is the shiot! (Blessed be his / her name). I have never NEVER actually laughed out loud at the internet until I saw the Harry Potter spoof. That was some excellent work!

3) Umm Mystar, do you live on the same planet as all of us? Do you proofread what you write? I have read all of these threads, and some of the others on your site. I have to be honest, you are the one who really ends up looking foolish. I mean come on, everyone here at Westoros is now a terrorist? WTF?? You are, as they say "whack man". You still have not defended any of the actual ideals that Terry presents, or defended the obvious (everything that Richard does is RIGHT).

Anyway, please continue, for several weeks, reading these threads has been the bright spot in my not so bright work day.

Hasta!

Stark Out!

No, no:

From Dictionary.com:

"An appointment for a meeting between lovers; a tryst."

So we're secretly in love with Goodkind, and therefore terrorists. Duh.

Maybe it is more of a sadomasochistic relationship, isn't it?

14D, I'm pretty sure they're the same. Cheese and meat were both off his diet because his gift changed his eating habits in order to create balance.

I knew I wasn't crazy. I did go to library this morning and checked out Fiath of the Fallen From Faith of the Fallen, when they just finished standing in line...

"Farmers sold the travelers goat cheese and milk. Ever since the gift had awakened in him, Richard was able to eat meat only when not doing any fighting. He thought it might be part of the requirement to balance his need to sometimes take life. Since he wasn't doing any fighting, he could eat meat without it making him sick. Unfortunatly, they could rarely afford meat. Cheese, which he onced loved, he could hardly stomach since his gift had come to life in him. Unfortunatly, it was often eat cheese, or starve."

These people are more adult than teenybopper and they simply do not care that Goodkind's sentence structure in his early works is poor, or that his prose is found lacking. So what?

So as an author, his command of the language he writes in is severely lacking. That's worthy of mockery and belittling. Doncha' think? Or is Goodkind, Blessed be His Name, competing the writing equivalent of Special Olympics? You know, where the effort itself counts and it doesn't matter whether he actually is any good at writing or not.

The fact is that many many people love the story. Many many people love the truth of the series.

We're not disputing this fact. We're finding Goodkind's, Blessed be His Name, work to be idiotic, simplistic, horrendously written, and one that contains morally repugnant philosophy. None of that has anything to do with the work's popularity.

It is very interesting that a select few people have found Faith of the Fallen as Goodkind's worst Novel, when in truth, it is always voted as the best of the best.

Don't take it too seriously. All of Goodkind's, Blessed be His Name, works are bad. Saying that FotF is the worst is much like saying rain is the westtest.

You may well not see what the rest of the world sees, and that’s ok.

Well, obviously it is not, since you're calling us terrorists for expressing our views.

But in truth is does show a definitive lack of character to spend so much time mocking and going to such length to ridicule.

Not nearly as much of a lack of character is shown here than as when Goodkind, Blessed be His Name, pushed his ill-conceived, badly-executed, high-school level drivel onto the public and then claim that he has revolutionized the entire genre.

I'll leave you with this, as my children were growing up. I made mistakes. I always admitted my mistakes, errors and even my foibles. Showing your children how to live is far different than merely telling them.

If you don't want people to comment on your children, then don't use them to make a point in your post.

When you choose to move from simply good-natured roasting, and twist it into character assignation and demeaning a person for their beliefs, you then become the very thing against which freedom stands, you then become a terrorist. I choose not to go that far.

Clearly, not all beliefs are worthy of respect. Otherwise, we'll be forced to respect racism and sexism. Some beliefs are morally reprehensible. Like, you know, the belief that people become terrorists when they voiciferously criticize bad writings in an internet forum.

Good morning and welcome once again to the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. By now you’re probably thinking, “Gee, we get all sorts of endless diatribes from Richard about how good he is, but what about the Imperial Order? What are they all about, really?†So in an effort to show that I (and indeed, Terry) am even-handed at showing both sides, here are some excerpts from the point of view of Nicci, the evil sorceress with a heart of gold. In this chapter she is remembering her childhood in Altur Rang and how she came to be part of the Order.

“It’s the fault of men like your father,†her mother had said. “He’s just like my father was. He has no feelings, no concern for anyone but himself. He’s heartless.â€

Nicci’s father was wealthy. Worse, to Mother’s way of thinking, he wasn’t remorseful about it. Mother explained that self-interest and greed were like the two eyes of a monstrous evil, always looking for yet more power and gold to feed its insatiable hunger.

“You must learn, Nicci, that a person’s moral course in this life is to help others, not yourself,†Mother said. “Money can’t buy the Creator’s blessing.â€

“But how can we show the Creator we’re good?†Nicci asked.

“Mankind is a wretched lot, unworthy, morbid, and foul. We must fight our depraved nature. Helping others is the only way to prove your soul’s value. It’s the only true good a person can do.â€

<snip>

Once, when he asked her how much she wished him to contribute, she shrugged and said, “I don’t know. What does your conscience tell you, Howard? But, a man of true compassion would do better than you usually do, considering that you have more than you fair share of wealth, and the need is so great.â€

He sighed. “How much do you and your friends need?â€

“It is not me and my friends who need it, Howard, but the masses of humanity crying out for help. Our fellowship simply struggles to meet the need.’

“How much?†he repeated.

She said, “Five hundred gold crowns,†as if the number were a club she had been hiding behind her back, and, seeing the opening she had been waiting for, she suddenly brandished it to bully him.

With a gasp, Father staggered back a step. “Do you have any idea of the work required to make a sum of that size?â€

“You do no work, Howard – your slaves do it for you."

“Slaves! They are the finest craftsmen!â€

“They should be. You steal the best workers from all over the land.â€

“I pay the best wages in the land! They are eager to work for me!â€

“They are the poor victims of your tricks. You exploit them. You charge more than anyone else. You have connections and make deals to cut out other armorers. You steal the food from the mouths of working people, just to line your own pockets.â€

“I offer the finest work! People buy from me because they want the best. I charge a fair price for it.â€

“No one charges as much as you and that’s the simple fact. You always want more. Gold is your only goal.â€

“People come to me willingly because I have the highest standards. That is my goal! The other shops produce haphazard work that doesn’t proof out. My tempering is superior. My work is all proofed to a double-stamp standard. I won’t sell inferior work. People trust me; they know I create the best pieces."

“Your workers do. You simply rake in the money.â€

“The profits go to wages and to the business – I just sank a fortune into the new battering-mill!â€

“Business, business, business! – When I ask you to give a little something back to the community, to those in need, you act as if I wanted you to gouge out your eyes. Would you really rather see people die than to give a pittance to save them? Does money really mean more to you, Howard, than people’s lives? Are you that cruel and unfeeling a manâ€

<snip>

“The prices of things are just terrible,†a man with droopy eyelids said. He was all crumpled down in his chair, like a pile of dirty clothes. “It isn’t fair. “People shouldn’t be allowed to just raise their prices whenever they want. The duke should do something. He has the king’s ear.’

“The duke…†Mother said. She sipped her tea. “Yes, I’ve always found the duke to be a man sympathetic to good causes. I think he could be persuaded to introduce sensible laws.â€

<snip>

“People are starving,†a wrinkled woman said into a lull in the conversation. People eagerly mumbled their acknowledgment, as if this were an umbrella to run in under to escape the drenching silence. “I see it every day. If we could just help some of those unfortunate people.â€

One of the other women puffed herself up like a chicken ready to lay an egg. “It’s just terrible the way no one will give them a job, when there’s plenty of work if it was just spread around.â€

“I know,†Mother said with a tsk. “I’ve talked to Howard until I’m blue in the face. He just hires people who please him, rather than those needing the job the most. It’s a disgrace.â€

The others sympathized with her burden.

“It isn’t right that a few men should have so much more than they need, while so may people have so much less,†the man with the droopy eyelids said. “It’s immoral.â€

“Man has no right to exist for his own sake,†Mother was quick to put in as she nibbled on a piece of dense cake while glancing again at the grimly silent man <brother Narev> . “I tell Howard all the time that self-sacrifice in the service of others is a man’s highest moral duty and his only reason for being placed in this life.

“To that end,†Mother announced, “I have decided to contribute five hundred gold crowns to our cause.â€

The other people gasped their delight, and congratulated Mother for her charitable nature. They agreed, as they sneaked peeks across the room, that the Creator would reward her in the next life, and talked about all they would be able to do to help those less fortunate souls.

<snip>

[Little darling Nicci goes out to give bread to the poor people in her neighborhood and is subsequently robbed and beaten by one of them. She comes home crying to Mother.]

When she retuned home, in tears, Mother smiled at seeing her. “Their plight often brings tears to my eyes, too.â€

Nicci shook her head, her golden locks swinging side to side, and told Mother that a man had grabbed her and hit her, demanding money. Nicci reached for her mother as she wailed in misery that he was a wicked, wicked man.

Mother smacked her mouth. “Don’t you dare judge people. You are just a child. How can you presume to judge others?â€

Stopped cold, Nicci was bewildered by the slap, more startling than painful. The rebuke stung more. “But, Mother, he was cruel to me – he touched me everywhere and then he hit me.â€

Mother smacked her mouth again, harder the second time. “I’ll not have you disgrace me before Brother Narev and my friends with such insensitive talk. Do you hear? You don’t’ know what made him do it. Perhaps he has sick children at home, and he needs money to buy medicine. Here he sees some spoiled rich child, and he finally breaks, knowing his own child has been cheated in life by the likes of you and all your fine things.

“You don’t know what burdens life has handed the man. Don’t you dare to judge people for their actions just because you are too callous and insensitive to take the time to understand them.â€

“But I think-“

Mother smacked her across the mouth a third time, hard enough to stagger her. “You think? Thinking is a vile acid that corrodes faith! It is your duty to believe, not think. The mind of man is inferior to that of the Creator. Your thoughts – the thoughts of anyone – are worthless., as all mankind is worthless. You must have faith that the Creator has invested His goodness in those wretched souls.

“Feelings, not thinking, must be your guide. Faith, not thinking, must be your only path.â€

~Terry Goodkind, Faith of the Fallen (most popular book in the series apparently)

So is Terry (BBHN) being too subtle? What is he trying to get at here?

edited for spelling.

that he's Ronald Regan's love child? :sick:

Nice to see another piece of child beating - although I'm shocked that it wasn't Richard hitting th egirl...

all in all: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Sooo... communists are child-abusers, right? No respect for industry magnates and little rich girls? No wonder Richard has the moral clarity to crush them! I see what he's done there, very clever.

Charity and labour laws = bad.

Self-interest and greed = good.

Of course, nobody could be that simple, so obviously he's too subtle for me. I'll tell him so at our next assignation. ;)

She said, “Five hundred gold crowns,†as if the number were a club she had been hiding behind her back, and, seeing the opening she had been waiting for, she suddenly brandished it to bully him.

Goodkind clearly knows a thing or two about clubs himself.

You think? Thinking is a vile acid that corrodes faith! It is your duty to believe, not think. The mind of man is inferior to that of the Creator. You thoughts – the thoughts of anyone – are worthless., as all mankind is worthless. You must have faith that the Creator has invested His goodness in those wretched souls.

:rofl::rofl:

You know, that was going to be my comment....

Doesn't it get worse from here? The father closes his shop or hires the lazy stupid people or something and the whole business falls apart and screws everything up.

I liked the interview, not so much because I agreed with it. But gives one a great insight to his mind. At the core of all the various window dressings and frostings, his core message is fairly consistent. Bad people do bad things, good people do good things. It is not the actions that define the good or bad, but the philosophy behind the actions. Which is an interesting thing. By allowing the philosphy to justify the actions taken, basing it on whatever you want, you remove the possiblity for error. I did not really realize the depths of the absoluteness that he sees things in until he was taking about the cycle of violence. To him the cyle is based on two things, evil people exist and will be violent, good people that do not destroy the evil people allow it to perpetuate. This completely disregards the possiblity of conditions that allow such things to gain momentum. He simply assumes, people are stupid, this why "good" (but stupid) people can be tricked into doing bad things, that and thier inablity to hold to moral philosophy (which might be his definition of stupid).

I have absolutely no idea what this scene is trying to accomplish. Are Nicci's mother and her friends supposed to be 'communist', and Nicci's father the Capitalist?

hmmm....

Terry Goodkind [bBHN] said, "Communism is bad and Capitalism is good!" as if the words were a club he'd been obviously hiding behind his back, and seeing the opening he's been waiting for, he suddenly brandish it to bash them into the heads of his readers....

You lost me there. Please explain to me -it is a genuine question- how voicing opinions and not censoring adverse point of views like yours could be perceived as being against "freedom".

But maybe you have an alternate definition for the word "freedom"? Such as:

Freedom (n.) :

1. The condition of being free of restraints, unless it's to do something Terry Goddkind's ideology doesn't approve of.

2. Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression, unless your master is called Richard Rahl.

3.a. Political independence -provided you agree with TG-

3.b. Exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action; civil liberty: freedom of assembly. Unless it's to demean TG.

4. The capacity to exercise choice; free will: We have the freedom to do as we please all afternoon. provided you do what Terry Goodkind's ideology approves of.

5. A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference: “the seductive freedoms and excesses of the picaresque form†(John W. Aldridge). -unless the interference comes from TG's ideology-

Archived