GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

Mindonner - you are a certifiable genius! :lol::lol:

Thank you all. I think my writing has been improving since I started reading "Stone of Tears"; The Yeard's matchless prose is the path to greatness. Unfortunately I'm finding it very hard not to snicker every time he uses the word "thing" (and there's a certain John Carpenter film I'll never be able to watch again...)

Some mini quotes of the day, from p17 of that epic tome (all within three paragraphs):

Fire flew from his fingers, covering the thing with even more flames.

It stuck in the thing's chest.

Chase... ran for the thing.

The thing moved so fast Chase missed.

Zedd did something that sent the thing tumbling across the grass.

:lol:

Unfortunately I’ll have to give Richard’s speeches a rest for a while, they’re just too damn long. But while thinking of another QotD I realized that I’ve left Chainfire completely untouched. And that is a crime. So I started skimming through it today to see what kind of garbage I could find, and naturally Goodkind (blessed be His name) doesn’t disappoint. So welcome to the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day.

This doesn’t require much of a lead-in. There was a battle, Richard was badly injured and lay unconscious for a couple days. Nicci heals him but when he wakes up Kahlan is gone and nobody but Richard remembers her. So despite other pressing tasks, Richard goes out searching for her and of course weird things happen.

For some reason, the eerie calm was somehow more frightening than the screams had been. What had started out sounding like the ravens – hoarse croaks rising into the kinds of terrified cries an animal makes only when it’s being killed – had, somewhere along the line, begun to sound human. And now there was only the menacing silence.

Richard tried to convince himself that he had only imagined that the screams had turned human. As chilling as such cries had been, it was the haunting, unnatural stillness after they’d ended that made gooseflesh prickle the hair at the back of his neck.

Just before he reached the brink of the clearing, Richard finally drew his sword. The singular sound of freeing the blade sent the cutting ring of steel through the damp woodland, ending the silence.

Instantly, the heat of the sword’s anger flooded through every fiber of his being, to be answered in kind by his own anger. Once again, Richard committed himself to the magic he knew, and upon which he could depend.

Filled with the sword’s power, he ached for the source of the threat, and lusted to end it. <oooh this is getting hot>

There had been a time when fear and uncertainty made him reluctant to surrender to the rising storm brought forth from the ancient, wizard-wrought blade, hesitant to answer the call with his own anger, but he had long since learned to let himself go into the rapture of the rage. It was that righteous wrath that he had learned to bend to his will. It was that power he directed to his purpose.

There had been those in the past who’d coveted the sword’s power, but in their blind lust for that which belonged to others <like sovereignty of nations> , had ignored the darker perils they stirred by using such a weapon. Instead of being masters of the magic, they had become servants to the blade, to its anger and to their own rapacious greed. There had been those who had used the power of the weapon for evil ends. Such was not the fault of the blade. The use of the sword, for good or for evil, was the conscious choice made by the person wielding it and all responsibility fell to them.

<snip>

Dead ravens lay everywhere. Not just dead, but ripped apart. Wings, heads, and parts of carcasses littered the clearing. Feathers by the thousands had settled like black snow over the rotting corpses of the soldiers.

Frozen in shock for only an instant, and still breathless, Richard knew that this was not what he sought. Tearing across the battle site, he bounded up the short bank, through the gaps in the trees, and over trampled vegetation, toward where the men had been waiting.

The rage of the sword spiraled up through him as he ran, making him forget that he was tired, that he was winded, that he wasn’t yet fully recovered, preparing him for the fight to come. In that moment, the only thing that mattered to Richard was getting to the men, or, more precisely, getting at the threat to the men.

There was a matchless rapture in killing those who served evil. Evil unchallenged was evil sanctioned. Destroying evil was really a celebration of the value of life, made real by destroying those who existed to deny others their life. <Wow>

Therein lay the fundamental purpose behind the sword’s essential, indispensable requirement for rage. Rage blunted the horror of killing, stripped away the natural reluctance to kill, leaving only its naked necessity if there was to be true justice. <Okeedokee> ~Terry Goodkind, Chainfire

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

(it gets worse furthe into the book though...)

Lovely justification for Psychopathic violence there - the kind of thing you expect from a mass murderer with no real grip on reality... Oh, Sh*t... these Objectionist passages are getting me very scared...

Bla bla bla ...my main gripe with those books actually, is that these people never sleep nor eat (except Zedd, who never fucking stops doing both). I wish somebody would give the guy a valium rather than have to read once more about how he is so tired he can't think (but he keeps going for the next 3 days regardless, killing a lot of people, since they have the bad taste not to let him sleep)

From that quote onwards, he doesn't sleep for a week, right? (I can't believe I caved in and read the damn Chainfire book, to my eternal shame :D )

Holy crap. This is nearly word for word identical to something that Adolf Hitler once said :o

Given some of Richard's previous actions, I don't really think that should come as a surprise. It's the classic 1984 situation - "freedom is slavery".

And something I found entertaining on the sample chapter for Faith of the Fallen:

Notable for its engaging secondary characters, the novel also evinces flashes of sly wit, as when an evil Chime takes the form of a menacing chicken...Goodkind's ingenious world-building will keep readers captivated by the latest installment of his bestselling Sword of Truth series

I love that they say "notable for its engaging secondary characters" - it suggests that the primary characters aren't engaging - and they mention the chicken that is not a chicken. They didn't have the moral clarity to understand that it wasn't "sly wit", but Goodkind making a legitimate point about the lack of nobility of the chicken spirit. Ingenious worldbuilding indeed - Good Americans, Good Nazis, evil Europeans, evil Communists, evil everyone who doesn't agree with Richard...

I think it is ingenious worldbuilding - no one else has managed to create as inconsistent and incoherent a world as Goodkind, and I don't think many have tried.

Ok then. The rapture of killing. WOW. Richard has come a long way since his first kill. He is now getting to the point where he is awash in the joy of killing evil. That doesn't sound good.

ETA: Isn't that surrendering reason and humanity to the reptilian, animalistic portion of the brain. It seems to be a bit of a contradiction to embrace ones tendencies towards base insticts to achieve higher awareness.

Just before he reached the brink of the clearing, Richard finally drew his sword. The singular sound of freeing the blade sent the cutting ring of steel through the damp woodland, ending the silence.

Goodkind sure likes to spell things out for his readers huh? I never would've guessed that making noise would end the silence.

There had been those who had used the power of the weapon for evil ends. Such was not the fault of the blade. The use of the sword, for good or for evil, was the conscious choice made by the person wielding it and all responsibility fell to them.

Beware false objectivists! Objectivism is good!

In that moment, the only thing that mattered to Richard was getting to the men, or, more precisely, getting at the threat to the men.

Whew, I thought he was going somewhere else with this.

There was a matchless rapture in killing those who served evil. Evil unchallenged was evil sanctioned. Destroying evil was really a celebration of the value of life, made real by destroying those who existed to deny others their life.

Therein lay the fundamental purpose behind the sword’s essential, indispensable requirement for rage. Rage blunted the horror of killing, stripped away the natural reluctance to kill, leaving only its naked necessity if there was to be true justice. ~Terry Goodkind, Chainfire

Wow, this is some of the most vile philosophy I've ever come across. Someone mentioned Goodkind readings, I'd love to hear him read something like this, working himself into a righteous lather all the time, breathing heavily and trying to keep from touching himself as he got more and more excited.

Once again, Richard committed himself to the magic he knew, and upon which he could depend.

But magic is part of a fantasy series! Contradiction! Contradiction! ARRGHHH!

Notable for its engaging secondary characters, the novel also evinces flashes of sly wit, as when an evil Chime takes the form of a menacing chicken...Goodkind's ingenious world-building will keep readers captivated by the latest installment of his bestselling Sword of Truth series

More contradiction! World Building = Fantasy! Head going ot explode!

How does Objectivism in Battle work:

1. Define "evil": must be someone other than you.

2. Detect evil as you have defined it.

3. Get angry.

4. Get furious.

5. Get Utterly pissed.

6. Attack!

7. Kill: your rage will shield you from the horror of the killing.

I remember that someone suggested this before but Goodkind's writing reminds Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream this QotD just confirms this. In The Iron Dream Norman Spinrad wrote the novel as if it was a novel writen by Adolf Hitler. Terry Goodkind writes his novels just pretending that Terry Goodkind has writen it, he is serious about what he says.

But magic is part of a fantasy series! Contradiction! Contradiction! ARRGHHH!

More contradiction! World Building = Fantasy! Head going ot explode!

Don't be stupid. Wizard's ninth rules states that contradictions are impossible. Therefore, these aren't contradictions.

Man, they would talk each other to death. :o

I've got to believe that the words wouldn't last for too long. Mental illness seems to blunt or in some cases render the person all but immune to Kellhus' mind games.

Don't be stupid. Wizard's ninth rules states that contradictions are impossible. Therefore, these aren't contradictions.

ACK! The 9th rule contradcits the contradictions! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

Archived