GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

I was interested to learn that Ayn Rand and Objectivism are not taught on many philosophy courses or discussed in many textbooks on the field and that both are regarded as something of a joke. However, I always thought Objectivism was a Big Deal, at least in the US? I know that as a concept it is limited to the US (I'd never even heard of it before in the UK), so it is possible Scott was merely talking about Canada's take on Rand (maybe this leads into the whole Goodkind 'Canada is a Commie, freedom-hating state where you can be shot at dawn for criticising the government' thesis?).

...well, I don't know if this adds much, but Objectivism isn't taught over here, too.

Scott did his Ph.D. Philosophy work at Vanderbilt University, in Nashville, TN, so I would imagine that he would have a good idea of what is taught in many North American universities. Besides, a googling for Objectivism and university syllabi would probably reveal a paucity of material for discussing such a thing. After all, the 'standard' of Objectivism is tightly controlled by one group. But it is widely considered a joke in schools in fields outside of philosophy - there is no way in hell that Objectivism could be looked at as a 'rational' model for examining historical causation/interactions, for example.

I just found this over at tg.net.. Isn't it precious :D

http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2015 .. Ah, delicious irony

Isn't it kinda sad though, that we're getting so obsessed with TG we discuss him when meeting other authors within the genre?

I wasn't planning to, but Scott's comment on authors surrendering the control and the meaning of their books to the reader, when TG rabidly does the opposite, did invite the comparison. I did balance it out by talking about how great Scott Lynch is, though.

I just found this over at tg.net.. Isn't it precious :D

http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2015 .. Ah, delicious irony

Isn't it kinda sad though, that we're getting so obsessed with TG we discuss him when meeting other authors within the genre?

Wow... on TG forums Mystar's grammar and spelling are even worse than here:

yeah but I'm an obnixous lil pric..er.. I'm trying to offer up some tidbits on what to expect, and I always...ALWAYS give a clue or three!

So... what you are saying then is... All authors do it... I do it.... and to point out stuff like that and siit and bemone and riddicule an author as being arragant etc is...just moronic and a waist of time....not to mention petty!

Yeh... I kinda thought that too... S'why I did this lil excersize

My eyes are bleeding.

I wouldn't rise to it ('thing' or otherwise). He hasn't read GRRM and thus can't comment on the books. So he merely makes a few snarky comments in the hope of provoking some kind of retaliation. Why bother?

Is it just me, or does this guy exude the "I'm better than my readers" see how self important I am aura...?

Wow. Coming from a Goodkind fan that is rich.

That is one thing that honestly surprised me about Goodkind... How down to earth and easy going he is...

:rofl::lol:

*laughs until fainting from oxygen deprivation*

Indeed. It's just amusing to read, especially when I chuckled at what might have been a veiled reference to myself in there (although there are a few others that fit the bill of 'an unnamed author's friend', I suppose) :P

So, let me get this straight... mystar criticises GRRM for being "arrogant" in order to prove that calling other authors arrogant is a waste of time. He makes a long post with quotes from GRRM's blog and responds to many of the replies, before finally revealing his intent: "Ah-ha! Now I have the upper hand in our petty internet feud!"

And we're the ones who have no life. :rolleyes:

Ah, let it go. Worst case scenario, someone over there decides to do a QotD and we can follow along and chuckle with them...

Frankly it merely sounds like someone is throwing stones at the windows to see if any of us are paying attention. It's not worth our time. Cause, for some of the snarkiness and through the laughter, I actually think that the GK threads have been some pretty interesting disections of another "author's" work...

Not worth our time.

Though if anything should anger us it's Mystar e-mailing George. Isn't he aware that there is a minor prohibition on e-mailing Mr. Martin due to the volumes of messages he does get? Come on now! :P

Though if anything should anger us it's Mystar e-mailing George. Isn't he aware that there is a minor prohibition on e-mailing Mr. Martin due to the volumes of messages he does get? Come on now! :P

Although he said he had an e-mail conversation with George, weren't all the parts he quoted from GRRM's blog?

Ok, I just found the best thing ever: an audio interview with Terry Goodkind! Listen to the true legend himself read out one of Richard's articulate lectures as it was meant to be heard.

Other highlights include why America is better than any other country, the 'nobleness' of Richard, why he hates the fantasy genre (even though he doesn't read it), his magic being used metaphorically in three ways, why you can't bargain with Evil, critics of his books who despise moral clarity and give bad reviews because they want to better than everyone else, his target audience being intelligent adults - not children, how he's revolutionised fantasy... so much good stuff in there.

It's an hour long, and 80 megs unless you get the smaller Real Audio file.

http://trashotron.com/agony/news/2003/07-28-03.htm#07-28-03

Oh, this interview has provided a gem already! "I get letters....'I ask myself, "What Would Richard Do?"'..."

Sweet - that needs to be sold on his sites with bracelets and so forth. :P

i don't think i'm going to make it through this whole interview, but around the 3 minute mark the guy asks him what the wizard's first rule is, and Goodkind hems and haws about how taken out of context it loses alot of its impact :rofl:

The Wiki Drama Continues. Before I begin, I just want to state that that I thought that 'drive-by edit' of the Goodkind wiki was childish and an unbecoming act of vandalism. However, I will say this in favor of the vandal: he probably was just doing it for a lark and not seriosuly expecting the misinformation to remain undetected and become a permanent part of wiki.

However, it seems that Mystar regards the Goodkind wiki as his own personal stomping ground. :rolleyes: It seems he desperately, desperately wants the article to include the phrase 'phenomenally successful' in reference to Goodkind. I would even go so far as to say he has a bee in his bonnet about it. Not only that, but it seems the Goodkind fans have taken to attacking moderators and anyone who edits Goodkind's wiki so that it portrays him as less than a God on Earth.

I think I can safely maintain that almost anything on the GIOG site is exceeded by Terry's actual fans.

Archived