GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

The Wiki Drama Continues. Before I begin, I just want to state that that I thought that 'drive-by edit' of the Goodkind wiki was childish and an unbecoming act of vandalism. However, I will say this in favor of the vandal: he probably was just doing it for a lark and not seriosuly expecting the misinformation to remain undetected and become a permanent part of wiki.

However, it seems that Mystar regards the Goodkind wiki as his own personal stomping ground. :rolleyes: It seems he desperately, desperately wants the article to include the phrase 'phenomenally successful' in reference to Goodkind. I would even go so far as to say he has a bee in his bonnet about it. Not only that, but it seems the Goodkind fans have taken to attacking moderators and anyone who edits Goodkind's wiki so that it portrays him as less than a God on Earth.

I think I can safely maintain that almost anything on the GIOG site is exceeded by Terry's actual fans.

Terry Goodkind was an artist? And "was" known rather well as one? Wow. You can learn something on Wiki. Who knew?

That was very entertaining. Be interesting to see where it goes.

But a couple questions:

1. What the hell are you doing hanging out at a Eragon Fansite?

2. No, really, what the hell are you doing hanging out at an Eragon Fansite?

Rejoice, people! I've just learned that I may get an interview with Terry Goodkind, Blessed be His name. :P

The thing is, if I do get to do that Q&A, will TG answer my question or just call me stupid to my face!?!

Cheers,

Patrick

If I had any sort of moral clarity at all, I would push Mystar off a cliff for the good of mankind. Jeez!

I should slap the shit out of myself everytime I follow a link that I suspect will lead to this goofball.

Rejoice, people! I've just learned that I may get an interview with Terry Goodkind, Blessed be His name. :P

The thing is, if I do get to do that Q&A, will TG answer my question or just call me stupid to my face!?!

Cheers,

Patrick

Pat,

Will you be soliciting questions from the audience?

I have to say that this interview has catapaulted me out of lurkerdom. The first and last 15 minutes or so are absolutely amazing.

Here are a few of the highlights:

* Goodking considers himself to be the death-knell of the fantasy genre. Apparently he has changed it to such an extent that it cannot possibly survive.

* Fantasy fans object to their books being shelved with science fiction because of Sci Fi's disregard for the nobility of humanity

* Out of the entire fantasy genre the only author he had any good words for was Terry Brooks.

* The man has a very nice speaking voice.

Cheers,

Patrick

Please, I beg of you, let us write our own questions! We won't be over the top rude, we'll just ask some pointed questions-that-are-not-questions, but in fact thinly veiled critiques.

TMI, Shrimp? :sick:

Hrmm...in all seriousness Pat, if you get the interview, interview him fairly, despite all the jokes and conceptions we have about his work and political philosophy. Allow him to speak and if people judge him harshly, then they judge him harshly. Or favorably, whatever the case might be.

My thing rose to dangerous heights, DF. Sorry. After 6 threads and a Mme Erzulie Sporking extravaganza....a girl can have some release, yes? (fucking Catholics. :P )

If you say so, Shrimp ;) And hey, I now understand all too well that Catholic Guilt thing. Might explain why many of the women I flirt with are (lapsed) Catholics :P

As always, I will encourage people to submit their questions. :D

And as always, the interview will be done seriously. I am aware that many questions will indubitably have negative twists. But TG set the stage for that himself.

However, since the interview will go through Tor Books first (I'm still waiting for the final confirmation), in view of all those questions will encompass, I don't know if they'll let me go through with the Q&A.

Honestly, I'd love to give the author a chance to explain himself on several issues. Still, I figure he'll likely insult my intelligence and tell me to fuck off, that I don't get it, etc. And as a Canuck, I'm not better than those crackpot Iranians, so he might not even agree to answer me!

Let's see what come out of this, shall we. Once everything is set in stone, I'll invite everyone to submit their questions. Regardless of everything, I WILL ask him to elaborate on the chicken that isn't a chicken and why it was chosen to represent Evil Incarnate! :P

Cheers,

Patrick

Cheers,

Patrick

I can't really think of any specific questions at the moment. However, I must stress, no matter how tempting it may be, don't go for the cheap shot and ask mean spirited questions. No matter how funny it might seem to those of us on this board, to anyone who reads an interview like that, Goodkind will come across as looking like the Good Guy.

Treat Goodkind with curtsey and respect and I can practically guarantee that you can still provide an interview that will open the eyes of many fantasy readers. If you do do the interview, I would strongly recommend that you bone up on some of past chats and interviews. Notice that Goodkind always, always manages to make a fool of himself if given the opportunity. The people in those interviews didn't need to ask Terry questions like "So, on a scale of one to ten, how much do you think your sucks?" If given enough rope to hang himself, Goodkind will. Goodkind's ego demands that he must make an ass out of himself and he needs no ones help but his own to accomplish this end.

For example, you could easily ask "So, don't you think series contains an unjustifiable amount of violence? Doesn't the hero of your story kill lots of innocent people without good cause?" But that would be taking the low road.

Instead, I suggest you ask the question in a more subtle manner.

"Mr. Goodkind, your epic novels about the triumph of the human spirit (AVOID CALLING HIS WORKS FANTASY) contain many hard hitting themes. In particular, I noticed a recurring motif of Good vs. Evil and the cost and sacrifice it entails. Numerous times in the series, Richard and Kahlan are forced by circumstances and their moral imperative to commit acts that under different circumstances would be considered reprehensible. Unlike other so called “authors†you do not shrink from addressing issues like torture and execution. You wrote about these issues with prescient clarity even before 9/11 and the war in Iraq. Do you consider these issues to be important for the survival of Western Civilization? In what ways do your books show us how to combat the evils of terrorism and rogue states?â€

You must impale Goodkind on his own arrogance. I know the example above may sound pretentious/ridiculous, but Goodkind CRAVES relevance. So long as you don’t lay it on TOO thickly, Goodkind will eat it up. He is not merely content to be a fantasy author. In his mind he writes about Issues, Philosophy, And The Triumph of Life Over Death. Goodkind can bridge space and time with the power of his mind. He IS the Kwisatz Haderach.

So. Remember. Subtlety, always subtlety. And before you do battle with the Yeard, pray Voltaire’s prayer: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous."

TMI, Shrimp? :sick:

Hrmm...in all seriousness Pat, if you get the interview, interview him fairly, despite all the jokes and conceptions we have about his work and political philosophy. Allow him to speak and if people judge him harshly, then they judge him harshly. Or favorably, whatever the case might be.

Oh good Christ, YES! Let it be more fair than anything has ever been. A current, up to date interview to see how things are swining in his part of the world these days can't be a bad thing. Judge lest ye be judged and all of that.

Absolutely. I am interested how he came about to his Randian philosophy. You don't just pick that up...someone teaches it to you. That, and I'm quite interested in how he views women vis a vis how they are portrayed in SoT. I mean, to a Libertarian standpoint, we are all equal, and can do what we wish. Many libertarians I know are Extropians....not sure where that fits in the goodkind universe.) Unfortunately, SoT has a decidedly paternalistic approach to women. What is he trying to say about gender relations?

Absolutely. I am interested how he came about to his Randian philosophy. You don't just pick that up...someone teaches it to you.

He said that he picked up one of Rand's books (can't remember which one) in a bookstore because it was short.

Haha, you know youre the low end of the fantasy genre if even Eragon fans despise you *rofls* :rofl:

And that link to mystars thread about GRRM... somebody there mentioned that GRRM would have self-inserted him as Tyrion, while Goodkind of course self-inserted him as Richard. True, or not, that alone would... tell much about the two, heh.

As for questions... well, what we have gone on about for the last two or so threads was mainly how the bleeding hell Richard can be a hero when he does things like cutting down unarmed demonstrators and the like. Maybe a question on how he defined good and evil (as it is a big theme in his work), and how that reflects in his works.

Archived