GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

Mystar's only real criticism of GRRM that I can make out is that he's anti-Bush, just like most of the world. Although I don't understand some of his gibberish, like "Is it just me, or does this guy exude the "I'm better than my readers" see how self important I am aura...?" and "I've always kinda dislike the "stra" peopel who act like they are better...".

He doesn't give any examples of GRRM thinking he's better than his readers, and it's more hilarious than offensive when you consider how much of a Goodkind fan he is.

Ah, I should have checked my notes. . .

Yep, Mystar busted me on that one. I'm not wrong often where bestsellers are concerned, but I was in this instance. No need to reply to this part of the PM, Mystar. You were right. :)

As for the rest, feel free to respond in any fashion you deem necessary.

Cheers,

Patrick

Mystar's only real criticism of GRRM that I can make out is that he's anti-Bush, just like most of the world. Although I don't understand some of his gibberish, like "Is it just me, or does this guy exude the "I'm better than my readers" see how self important I am aura...?" and "I've always kinda dislike the "stra" peopel who act like they are better...".

He doesn't give any examples of GRRM thinking he's better than his readers, and it's more hilarious than offensive when you consider how much of a Goodkind fan he is.

I think you will find he is not trying to actually say anything about GRRM, he is simply trying to mock the people who say that Goodking (BBHN) is arrogant and thinks he is better than his readers.

His point is that it is stupid to say things like that about authors therefore we are all stupid for doing so. He is also pointing out that the good people of tg.net are above the kind of character assassinations that go on here since the thread in question didn't turn into a full blown G(E)RRM bashing thread.

Now, don't you all wish you were as grown-up and clever as mystar?

I think he also wants to draw us into a flame war on his home turf to show what bad people we are to the fan base. Sort of get us to take up his tactics of crusading around the internet defending an author.

Lets try to tone down the discussion/bashing of other boards, its gonna get us in trouble with the mods.

Yeah, you're right. Instead, here's Harry Potter and the Stone of Tears:

Ginny Weasley didn't know why they always called him "Harry with the Temper" - he was the kindest, most gentle boy she knew. Why, just the other day, Dudley had said some nasty things to him, and he had lectured him on freedom for a full half hour before ripping his spine out.

Suddenly there was a shout. "There are some people here to see Harry!"

Harry's eyes began to blaze. "What do they want? I'm busy!"

"Oh, Harry, they might be able to help with those headaches you've been having, you know, the ones you've been having ever since you destroyed Voldemort with the magic sword last week and unwittingly unleashed an even greater evil upon the world."

Harry's patience was growing short. "Show them in. But they'd better be quick about it, or they'll face my wrath."

Three scantily-clad giant nuns walked in, their faces haughty with, er, hauteur. These were grim faces and haughty too, faces that knew they were better than all other faces. These were nuns that were used to being in charge of other people. No ordinary nuns were they, but nuns of great power.

"Harry, I'm Sister Hagrid, and we're here to help you." one said. "We know you are a wizard, and so we have to take you off to Hogwarts to be trained. Come with us at once."

"Never!" cried Harry. He drew his sword with a rasping clang, and it blazed white. He had been able to make it blaze white after his thing rose for the first time when he defeated the beasts of Scoob in the previous book who had kidnapped Ginny and he was trying to get her back. "I'm no wizard, it's all a lie, I'm just a simple woodsman!"

"Er, Harry, you have used magic, remember; you're quite clearly a wizard" reminded Ginny gently.

"Nooooo!" roared Harry through his clenched teeth. "I hate magic! It's all a lie!" He raised his hands and cast a death spell on the sisters. One of them fired an arrow at him and he snatched it out of the air.

"Sisters, I have failed" moaned Sister Hagrid, and with a flash she stabbed herself in the heart and died.

It's okay, pat5150. :D

I don't really put much emphasis on how much so and so sold, the content of the book is much more important. Of course, I does feel good to know the books I liked are on top of the bestseller list, and the books I hate are not in them, or at least below my faves. :lol:

Despite what fans say about their favorite books and their authors, eventually, the books and their content speak for themselves. And frankly, TG's works say, 'this is utter crap', and would probably be remembered for all eternity as the guide to how NOT to write fantasy (or a philosophical treatise, as TG [bBHN] loathes to call his works as fantasy).

As a friend of mine once described TG's works: "SOT's like the person you have a very bad one-night stand with and determinedly try to forget the morning after."

"Harry, I'm Sister Hagrid, and we're here to help you." one said. "We know you are a wizard, and so we have to take you off to Hogwarts to be trained. Come with us at once."

:lol: MinDonner, you've done it again. This part just made me laugh like hell. The image of Hagrid scantily clad (perhaps in teeny-tiny gold armor bikini or that tightfitting suit the Mord-Sith wear) just broke my mind.

That is brilliant! The irony's almost too much. Mystar insults us for bashing his favourite author, then what does he do? He insults GRRM a lot, and to go one further than us, he doesn't even bother reading the books. I wonder how Mystar acquired this skill of being able to judge the prose of a book without reading it. He also has some very strange ideas about arrogance.

Thank you Bry's :rofl: I found it amusing enough to do it. It truly speaks volumes that people here can judge an author, never having read that his works or having only read a couple of books, snippets and out of context words twisted and mangled in order to do the same. Then in the same breath belittle some one else who did the same thing. Being "included" as "one of the gang" by adding your vitriol to the pool seems to be the order of the day here. I found it amusing enough to see what kind of rise I would get. You guys have not disappointed at all.

While I have had a couple of convo's with GRRM, I did indeed forget to quote the source (GRRM's blog that is not a blog) of the excerpt.

~shrugs~

It really didn't seem nessary, seeing as how the order of this forum is to do the same thing. Not to mention go so far as to take so many things out of their contextual nature... I guess I've been put in my place let me tell you, having been duly chastised from you people. I don't think it will scar though :P

Seriously on a more introspective note, what you do here is not what bothers people (ok some it does, only because they cannot for the life of them see what you are talking about), what bothers them is the fact that you take such glee in belittling people who are nothing more then simply different than you in taste of style. Let's be honest here for at least one minute. Goodkind's (blessed be his name), fan base isn't shrinking. Rather it is growing by leaps and bounds. These people are more adult than teenybopper and they simply do not care that Goodkind's sentence structure in his early works is poor, or that his prose is found lacking. So what? It isn't the color of the car that gets you there. It doesn't matter if you get there on a bus, or in a Ferrari 360 Modena. The fact is that many many people love the story. Many many people love the truth of the series. It is very interesting that a select few people have found Faith of the Fallen as Goodkind's worst Novel, when in truth, it is always voted as the best of the best. It is by far the most popular book in the series; with Tor reporting that that book alone is in such demand they keep running out of it. In any poll for best book in the series, FOTF will never fail to be at the top of the list as the best book in the series.

You may well not see what the rest of the world sees, and that’s ok. But in truth is does show a definitive lack of character to spend so much time mocking and going to such length to ridicule. Now having said that, have I engaged in "some" mud slinging right back atcha? Hell yeah! But, and again lets be honest here, nothing I've posted could even come close to the countless hours of time and massive effort you guy's have wasted trying to bash Goodkind....Blessed be his name.... (lol. I still crack up when I see that), and it also go to show the rest of the world how you've missed the reason Goodkind's fans are so adamant, but I digress....

In short, jousting is fun, but I've let it take up way too much of my time. You will still see only what you choose to see. I'll leave you with this, as my children were growing up. I made mistakes. I always admitted my mistakes, errors and even my foibles. Showing your children how to live is far different than merely telling them. Children learn what they see and hear not just what they are told. One truth I tried to flesh out as well as tell them is that life is a choice. Everything in life is a choice. It matters not that someone has placed you in a situation or circumstance, but it is incumbent upon you to make a choice as to how you react or respond to the situation (to react is negative, to respond is positive). It is simple, you have a choice, No matter what, you can choose how you will be, act, and understand a thing. Never forget to check your premises. What is it that you are about? What is it that you wish to portray? What is it that you wish others to see of you and from you? I've always thought that making sure you show your honesty to your children is the best thing that you can do for them.

Looking back, I could offer up such things as lack of time or care in responding to many posts, but it would only be an excuse for my choice not to be above it or as professional as I should. To that end, I apologize for returning some of your own stuff back at you (but you make it so easy), and for egging you on. Not for supporting my friend, but for allowing myself to be caught up in your little game. I find it tiresome to the extreme to play such pointless games when real issues are more important. Like I said, it can be fun, but ridiculous to say the least. When you choose to move from simply good-natured roasting, and twist it into character assignation and demeaning a person for their beliefs, you then become the very thing against which freedom stands, you then become a terrorist. I choose not to go that far.

have a great weekend.

When you choose to move from simply good-natured roasting, and twist it into character assignation and demeaning a person for their beliefs, you then become the very thing against which freedom stands, you then become a terrorist. I choose not to go that far.

:lol: Well, lets just see what sort of replies will come in from that. Chapeau!

ETA:

BOOOOM

^ my exploding self

When you choose to move from simply good-natured roasting, and twist it into character assignation and demeaning a person for their beliefs, you then become the very thing against which freedom stands, you then become a terrorist.

:lol:

Beautiful. We mock Goodkind's insane Objectivist doctrine, and suddenly we're enemies of freedom - nay, terrorists! Mystar, fyi:

Terrorism (n) - The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons. (Dictionary.com)

Here we go - Richard is GK(BBHN)'s ideal of perfect manhood and ideology. Richard states that it's actually OK to kill people who you disagree with; ergo, GK(BBHN) also believes this.

1) I am happy to demean this belief, as it is clearly bollocks

2) Who's the terrorist, exactly??

have a great weekend.

Yeah, you too :kiss:

It's good that he admited that Goodkind writing style is not very good.

I would have liked that he had devoted part of his effort to explain some of the scenes that lately have appeared in QotD. A true Author's fan and friend would surely do this.

By the way.

MinDonner, once again you have shown us that with the unique and patented "Goodkind's touch" modern fantasy would break the chains of genre and become somthing different like the Sword of Truth. Congratulations! :lol:

It amuses me, that people do not understand that it can be enough to read 3-4 books of a series to formulate an opinion on their own about the quality of said series. Really, what happened to think for yourself, a

Btw, most honourable Mystar, are you being an agent provocateur - again? Different forum, true, but...

But in truth is does show a definitive lack of character to spend so much time mocking and going to such length to ridicule.
What is this fixation on lack of character? I am starting to be worried... Some new arguments, please... Some style, please... Somewhat fewer grammatical/spelling mistakes (or am I too scepticl for you?)...

You will still see only what you choose to see.

The pot calling the kettle black, if I am not much mistaken...

Never forget to check your premises.

So, why do you forget to do this so often?

character assignation

Someone please decode this for me.

demeaning a person for their beliefs, you then become the very thing against which freedom stands, you then become a terrorist. I choose not to go that far.

I am pleased to know, that from this day on, I am a communist, jealous, criminalistic European bastard, who is also a terrorist.

Truly, it is good to know that you do not sink to this level, mystar. I shudder to imagine what the consequences would be...

Archived