GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

Back to the proper subject, Goodkind's writing. Does his dialogue strike anyone else as excessively modern?

Well, he says he doesn't write fantasy, doesn't he? Here you have it, the evidence that had eluded us. :D

From my vague reccolections, he actually goes and sleeps with a whore so that he can get fatal VD, then sexes up he wife, so that she can pass it allong to Bertrand, who can pass it to his wife, thereby doing away with four extraneous characters (and one extraneous subplot) to ensure that Terry never has to deal with that pesky continuity.

No.

Actually, I remember it that way too, now that my memory has been jogged...

Well, he says he doesn't write fantasy, doesn't he? Here you have it, the evidence that had eluded us. :D

Well, how about I rephrase the question to do away with the fantasy/not fantasy issue:

"Does his dialogue strike anyone else as excessively crap?"

I'm not joking, but I may be misremembering somewhat.

There was definitely some sort of murder/suicide by STD, though. I'm quite sure of that much.

You're right in your recollection.

Well, how about I rephrase the question to do away with the fantasy/not fantasy issue:

"Does his dialogue strike anyone else as excessively crap?"

Do you really need to ask that? The archaic style is really only used when Richard gets angry or Zedd wants to be dramatic.

And we could always hang out in various Borders and B&Ns and ask people who take a copy from the stack if they know what they're buying?

You mean you guys don't do that already? Am I the only one?

She stopped brushing and looked at him in the mirror, her face a mix of emotions. Defiance predominated them.

<snip>

Seeing that he wasn’t going to get angry and harm her, she stepped closer.

This doesn’t seem right to me. If she was worried that he was going to beat her, then wouldn’t fear be the dominated emotion on her face?

I think that defiance would be more if she wasn’t worried about his reaction. Which doesn’t follow because she still loves him, which is very sweet. But then I would think worry that he would reject her would be the dominated emotion.

Why is she feeling defiant?

I wish I was smarter, so I wouldn’t have these questions.

I'm not joking, but I may be misremembering somewhat.

There was definitely some sort of murder/suicide by STD, though. I'm quite sure of that much.

Truly????

That makes my head hurt. :bang:

There is so much wrong with that scene. First if the wife truly believe what she espoused to her husband, why would she hide it from him? Why not tell her husband that it is their reward for being faithful to each other?

She is either a unfaithful wench, or a border line retarded wench. Murder/suicide by STD, I will give it to Goodkind I have not read that scenario before. :unsure:

Back to the proper subject, Goodkind's writing. Does his dialogue strike anyone else as excessively modern? Now, I don't need an abundance of "thees" and "thous" littered through the conversations to make it somehow "authentic". But the cadences of their speech just seem to jar the reader out of place.

It gets worse... in Chainfire, Nicci tries to explain to Richard how his subconscious mind created his illusion of Kahlan, using psychological concepts way beyond what existed before Freud. I don't think that Goodkind really tries to place his story inside of a medieval world, or make it somehow consistent with a period of human history or even consistent with itself. After all, fantasy=detailed world building, and Terry Goodkind does not write fantasy.

Is there any chance it could go higher? Because that would make me cry.

And yes, the STD plot is in there somehow. It does contradict the message in Temple of the Winds gives, where Richard forgives (and I think congratulates) Kahlan for cheating on him, because it shows her moral clarity.

Kahlan sleeping around because she wants to = moral clarity.

Guy going to a whorehouse because he wants to = bad + STDs.

Right.

Oh, for fucks sake. I just make the funniest post ever (that's the truth, by the way, so I don't need facts to back it up), and Ran closes the thread immediately. Dang.

From my vague reccolections, he actually goes and sleeps with a whore so that he can get fatal VD, then sexes up he wife, so that she can pass it allong to Bertrand, who can pass it to his wife, thereby doing away with four extraneous characters (and one extraneous subplot) to ensure that Terry never has to deal with that pesky continuity.

This is excellent. It shows us with all possible clarity that VD's are a punishment for amoral degenerates.

If he does it on purpose, it's also like the slowest kamikaze mission in the world. Respect!

It gets worse... in Chainfire, Nicci tries to explain to Richard how his subconscious mind created his illusion of Kahlan, using psychological concepts way beyond what existed before Freud. I don't think that Goodkind really tries to place his story inside of a medieval world, or make it somehow consistent with a period of human history or even consistent with itself. After all, fantasy=detailed world building, and Terry Goodkind does not write fantasy.

I once read a Goodkind review where the reviwer rightfully complained about a character using the term "chain reaction." Since Richard and co. live in a fairly low tech world, would any of them really be in a position to know about a nuclear chain reaction? But what else could they have meant?

have you heard the joke about the little kid that wants to sleep with a hooker?

This 12 year old goes into a whore house and asks to see a girl that has VD.

When asked why, he explains he wants to get it so he can give it to the baby-sitter.

She will give to his father, who will the pass it on to his mother.

His mother will then give it to the mailman.

Who is the SOB that ran over his dog this morning.

goddammit, I just went out and bought Stone of Tears, used, so i can get in on this shit at the ground level. Moose, I both blame you and will be your wingman , becuz it looks like I'm a goodkind reader too now.

thank god I'm too loaded right now to know right from wrong, because tomorrow is garbage day, and so far this book in the hands of a sober man would be bound for the dump.

he starts the fucking book with a clawed monkey attacking the adopted father of an 8 year old.... :|

goddammit, I just went out and bought Stone of Tears, used, so i can get in on this shit at the ground level. Moose, I both blame you and will be your wingman , becuz it looks like I'm a goodkind reader too now.

thank god I'm too loaded right now to know right from wrong, because tomorrow is garbage day, and so far this book in the hands of a sober man would be bound for the dump.

he starts the fucking book with a clawed monkey attacking the adopted father of an 8 year old.... :|

Noooooo! You're missing the point. Mad Moose reads the books so we don't have to!

Anyway, all this crappy dialog has once again made me wonder whether anyone has ever heard TG do readings from his books. I think that could be frickin hilarious, to be honest. I'm trying to imagine him trying to read the passage about Richard ripping out that guy's spine while staying completely serious... I mean, because TG's deadly serious about the whole thing. Really, a bunch of us should go to listen to such a reading just to see how long we could go without cracking up completely. I would honestly try very very hard, and I think I would feel very bad when I started to dissolve into a puddle of laughter and giggling on the floor.

Everybody beat me to the punch regarding the whole purposely going to a whorehouse where he knew there was a rampant STD epidemic so he could give it to his wife and in turn to the head honcho. I had forgotton all about the horror of this until that QotD. I think the most disgusting aspect of this is that TG portrays this as a noble act on the part of the husband :o :o :o :o :o

I recommend this for the next QotD please Mad Moose.

Some more choice excerpts from LOTR-written-by-GK...

- Shelob keeps her victims alive because she wants to have sex with them before eating them. However, on seeing Frodo's "thing," she is overcome with joy and weeps, and lets him go.

- The Paths of the Dead turn out to be a big vat of whitewash that Aragorn leads the army through to disguise them as ghosts

- The orcs used to be a race of elves who lost their moral clarity (can't remember whether this is a good thing or a bad thing actually) and were mutated by their evil commie ways

- Eowyn's plan to seduce Aragorn involves her shagging Faramir in front of him and inviting him to join in

This was from the last quote of the day in GK V, but it has to be commented on:

“I thought I was going to die, and I hadn’t told you.â€

:rofl: Kahlan has to tell Richard literally everything - even about dying. This sentence suggests that she was about to die, but hadn't told Richard she was about to die.

Richard felt a lump rising in his throat
It's called vomit.

Reading those last few pages of Goodkind V I was laughing constantly - first the interview, then the debate on "sceptical" vs "skeptical" (being British I found it even more entertaining) and finally that quote of the day.

Archived