GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

More interesting excerpts from Lord of the Rings by Terry Goodkind:

- Aragorn (the real hero of the novel, I think that this has already been established) and the Rangers of the North massacre a bunch of peace loving hobbits that are demonstrating against him armed only with their hatred for moral clarity.

- Aragorn teaches the Hobbits of the Shire the joys of Objectivism and they abandon their Altruist ways. Ted Sandyman builds a new environmental unfriendly mill, Aragorn laughs, Arwen laughs, the hobbits laugh and everybody laughs.

- Then Aragorn executes the whole town council in Bree when he finds out that they are plotting against Arwen.

- I think that this has already been said but just in case: Arathorn is the Witch King.

- The Ents betray Aragorn, they are just a bunch of tree hugging hippies! Aragorn destroys them.

- Aragorn is captured by Saruman and is forced to create some jewels for him. In two months he makes the Silmarils and then destroys them. This causes a rebellion among the Dunlendings, Uruk Hai and Half Orcs of Isengard.

Everybody beat me to the punch regarding the whole purposely going to a whorehouse where he knew there was a rampant STD epidemic so he could give it to his wife and in turn to the head honcho. I had forgotton all about the horror of this until that QotD. I think the most disgusting aspect of this is that TG portrays this as a noble act on the part of the husband :o :o :o :o :o

I recommend this for the next QotD please Mad Moose.

Wait, this is actually really in the books?

I thought it was a joke someone made.

:o :o :o :o

TG, how do you manage to continually blow my mind with the crapness of your writing?

On would feel it is not nessesary for Goodkind to drop that hint, but Goodkinds followerd are apparently too thick to see, that it is the duty of every female to sleep with near Creatorlike beeings. That worldly pressure can lower the quality of bookwriting ruling a country. Has this "Bertrand" a yeard?

On would feel it is not nessesary for Goodkind to drop that hint, but Goodkinds followerd are apparently too thick to see, that it is the duty of every female to sleep with near Creatorlike beeings. That worldly pressure can lower the quality of bookwriting ruling a country. Has this "Bertrand" a yeard?

I don't know if Bertrand has one, but I'm totally growing one. That way all the girls will be wanting to have sex with me. Right? Even if they're married?

Or wait, am I supposed to force them to have sex with something called a namble first? Or am I supposed to go around killing innocent peace protesters, and then all the women will want to have sex with me? Damnit, it's just too complicated to keep track of it all. I'm so confused :(

Wait... the Sovereign is called 'Bertrand'? :o

As in, Bertrand Russell?

Is that deliberate, does anyone think? Is TG trying to make a philosophical allegory here? Commenting on the relationship of Russell's philosophy to Objectivism?

As in, Bertrand Russell?

Is that deliberate, does anyone think? Is TG trying to make a philosophical allegory here? Commenting on the relationship of Russell's philosophy to Objectivism?

So he's saying how terribly stupid Russell is compared to Objectivist thinkers like Rand? I'm assuming that TG is pretty much of the opinion that any philosopher other than Ayn Rand is a waste of space and should have been lynched and/or killed in some other fashion? Or is that me being too swift in my judgment?

Interesting...of course, I'm just waiting for a certain person to make his reappearance and to talk about how feeble-minded we are for not catching that sooner, all the while elaborating about the typo that is not a typo, but evil spelling scheme manifest. ;)

I think you're reading too much into this. Somehow this seems a bit too subtle for Terry goodkind. If he wanted to point out (what he thinks are) the flaws in a certain philosophy, he'd create his version of said philosophy in his world, and have Richard defeat the "corrupt" way of thinking. See how he deals with (his view of) communism...

However, I state this without much information on this Sovereign. I really don't remember that much concerning him, so if there are more similarities between the real person/his ideas and the fictional character, then I'm wrong, of course...

I think you're reading too much into this. Somehow this seems a bit too subtle for Terry goodkind. If he wanted to point out (what he thinks are) the flaws in a certain philosophy, he'd create his version of said philosophy in his world, and have Richard defeat the "corrupt" way of thinking. See how he deals with (his view of) communism...

Yes, TG doesn't seem to take a subtle approach if there is any way he can take a more direct kick-a-little-girl-in-the-jaw approach. Or a massacre-peaceful-protestors approach. Subtlely doesn't seem to be something he is too into.

Maybe he went to school with someone named Bertrand?

But maybe we're not giving him enough credit. Perhaps we should wait to hear what words of wisdom someone who has actually read the books can give us?

I'm assuming that TG is pretty much of the opinion that any philosopher other than Ayn Rand is a waste of space and should have been lynched and/or killed in some other fashion?

I think Rand liked parts of Aristoteles work, but pretty much hated anyone else.

I have never understood why so many seem to take her seriously. Well, in the US that is. AR is virtually unknown outside north america... I guess the rest of the world hates moral clarity with a passion. :rolleyes:

"The evil sovereign Bertrand skulked into the debating theatre, his narrow eyes scuttling from student to student. This was the great debate, the ultimate struggle for power over the entire philosophy department. Ayn Rahl greeted him with joy - today she would smite her enemy once and for all.

A dance with death.

The wizened octogenarian smirked. "Surely you cannot deny that reason must be subordinate to ethical considerations?"

The students gasped as one. They turned to one another and said "He's right you know." They started to mutter uglily.

Ayn could feel her thing rising. These students were being influenced by the power of evil. It was time for a demonstration of the nobility of the human spirit.

"Blade, be true this day!"

She spun around faster than the eye could see. "You are obstructing my pursuit of Life, but no longer!" she cried.

Flexing her mighty thews, she drove her hand through Bertrand's stomach and ripped out his spinal cord. He staggered, but remained standing - but his power was gone.

Ayn shook the blood off her hand, and laughed, a clear, ringing laugh that brought joy to all who heard it. Soon the students were weeping with joy. But Ayn's task was not over. Pulling the head and right leg from the aging philosopher, she fashioned a crude club and swiftly slaughtered the faithless students, until not one supporter of Logical Atomism remained to pollute the campus.

As in, Bertrand Russell?

His name's Bertrand Chambor or something, and his wife's initials are H.C. I read in a TG interview that it's no coincidence they're the same as a certain president and his wife. Great satire, no?

I feel cleansed in the blood of those whose hatred for moral clarity was their downfall. MinDonner, you have brought us closer to Terry Goodkind (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us) today.

Rimmer, that somehow still managed to surprise me. What is he, some kind of twelve year old making sniggering comments about people in the school yard?

Somehow I continue to be staggered by my lack of moral clarity.

Listen guys, last night I was alseep and I had dream, and in this dream Goodkind (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us) came to me and told me that do to the great stresses of this world and the importance of getting the message out, all the lovely women of this thread need to "help relieve the stress" of Mad Moose. Seriously, they guy is under tremendous pressure in getting the QoTD up. He is anxiously awaiting to distill phantom down for all of us. It is the will of Terry (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us).

Archived