Who's the most controversial ASoIaF character?

WeddinGuest

Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoyner and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles, The Rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, and the Mother of Dragons.

She is my favorite character, but many hate her.

I roll my eyes at people who always bring up being pc when it was never said. Its usually people who don't like for things that are problematic or could be considered problematic to be called out own its sh*t. Its not like the author is infallible and couldn't possibly be allowing his white male privilege liberalism to seep into the story at points.

It's not the like the people who bring up "author's white male privilege" aren't in fact bringing their own privilege. Someone has to call them on their own shit. Let's be honest here, nobody posting here or on Tumblr is homeless and starving or working hard in a factory 20 hours a day to earn a meagre salary or being forced into sex slavery.

Not to mention hypocrisy. Defending slavery as a "cultural difference" is incredibly racist and offensive, and when it comes with hailing Cersei as a "feminist icon" and "a victim of patriarchy" (because, I'm guessing the logic goes, the patriarchy in Western countries in the medieval times should be condemned, because West should have human rights and freedom, but the slavery and abuse in those barbaric exotic "culturally different"* Eastern countries is OK, because that's just what these folks like, you can't expect better from them, amirite? :rolleyes:), it's also really hypocritical. Almost as hypocritical as Cersei herself.

*Funnily enough, this idea of "cultural differences" identifies the values of the ruling, rich and privileged part of a certain society as "cultural values" of that society.

Oddly not Roose Bolton. I mean come on, the guy is Vlad Tepes of Westeros and people admire him?!!!!!!!

You wouldn't admire him if it was you he was flaying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with you guys?

Also I agree, Cersei is as much of a feiminist icon as Robert, in fact no I am being cruel. Robert regretted hitting Cersei,. Cersei regretted nothing she did to Sansa and Arya and claimed that they wronged her!

Stannis and Dany seem to be the most controversial of topics,. Both want to be rulers, Both will probably fight each other. I hope that they don't I have nothing against Dany, as long as she stays away from Westeros. She has been in the East too long for me to accept her return.

Also Ned forever! He saved his daughter from being killed for no reason!!!!! And he wanted to sepak to his bastard about his mother!!! That would have been a great father-son moment, the likes of which the Wall has never seen, accept if Jeor and Jorah had met.

Also when you put it like that, Jon does kind of suck.

Finally Craster. Odd for such controversy over a guy based on a God. I kid you not, I do not remember the name exactly but there was ancient(Babylonian? Assyrian? Akkadian?) God who did exactly what he did. If I remember the name I will make a post on it.

Catelyn/Dany/Sansa are the traditional lightning rods on this forum. Tyrion has been making a push since ADWD or so (he generally avoided a lot of criticism before that) but I would say he's a step below them.

I'd put people like Cersei/Theon/Jaime at least a level below Tyrion. I'm not sure where I'd consider Jon, but I don't think he's anywhere near the first four.

I think it has to be Dany.

Cersei does have more sympathizers in the fandom and tumblr but not on this board (it seems). I personally think that while she is not a 'good' character, she is not anomalously evil for players of the game either and that some of her actions are excusable. But I normally get very little agreement from others on this. So, sticking with the OP, Cersei is not controversial here, Dany is.

As for Stannis, he can be considered controversial too. But I feel Dany is more so.

• 2 weeks later...

Victim of the patriarchy I can see, but feminist icon? That's very funny. She's one of the most misogyinistic people in the series, who despises her own gender, has no empathy for other victims of the patriarchy, and constantly abuses and enables the abuse of other women, which she sees nothing wrong with. I really want to know how those fans see her treatment of Sansa as "feminist", or her schemes against Margaery, or her treatment of the women she gave to Qyburn, not to mention her utter lack of empathy for rape victims like Lollys, or her thoughts that the "old dried up" septas are probably wishing to be raped.

That makes no sense whatsoever, since 1) Dany was hardly "privileged" while growing up, 2) the Ghiscari slavers are super-privileged, 3) bringing up "white" and "non-white" in the context of Essos in-universe makes very little sense, and 4) defending slavery as a "cultural difference" is both idiotic and offensive.

Conclusion: some of these uber-PC fans really make me :rolleyes:.

Honestly couldn't have said it better

I'd also say that Cersei isn't a very polarizing character on this forum, she might be if we consider the whole fandom. There are a fair number of Cersei apologists who see her as a feminist icon and a "victim of the patriarchy", and excuse everything she does because of this. Especially on tumblr, where it seems most think that once you label someone a victim, that means they get an automatic pass for everything they do -- Theon, for example, tends to be forgiven everything because "he was victimized child hostage" and therefore, totally justified in what he did. Interestingly, though, while Dany gets some feminist support on tumblr, the general consensus seems to see her NOT as a victim, but as a child of white privilege imposing her own values on Ghiscari culture.

*snicker*

Victim worship is nearly as gnarly as victim blaming.

Bolded: LOL!!!! Hypocrisy is so hilarious. If Dany wasnt white but doing the same thing, they would be praising her name. Fuck.. just...how thick can you get?

Victim of the patriarchy I can see, but feminist icon? That's very funny. She's one of the most misogyinistic people in the series, who despises her own gender, has no empathy for other victims of the patriarchy, and constantly abuses and enables the abuse of other women, which she sees nothing wrong with. I really want to know how those fans see her treatment of Sansa as "feminist", or her schemes against Margaery, or her treatment of the women she gave to Qyburn, not to mention her utter lack of empathy for rape victims like Lollys, or her thoughts that the "old dried up" septas are probably wishing to be raped.

That makes no sense whatsoever, since 1) Dany was hardly "privileged" while growing up, 2) the Ghiscari slavers are super-privileged, 3) bringing up "white" and "non-white" in the context of Essos in-universe makes very little sense, and 4) defending slavery as a "cultural difference" is both idiotic and offensive.

Conclusion: some of these uber-PC fans really make me :rolleyes:.

I always felt that calling Cersei feminist to be rather offensive to women in general. Her character deals with feminist issues but feminist icon is just...NO!

Bolded: *outright guffaws and points*

Someone has to call them on their own shit.

This is why i exist.

I really don't get all the hate for Dany and Sansa and immediately dismiss these posters as simpe misogynists.

Yeah only no.

Dany, there is a lot of reason to dislike her that have nothing to do with her owning a vagina. Its hilarious to watch Dany choke on her own hypocrisy. If you do not practice what you preach, deal with the consequences.

As for topic: Poor, poor, poor Sansa. Her existence makes people hate her.

Archived