Howland Reed = High Septon?

shmoove

1. Seeing as the theory states he is pretending, that's a non issue.

2. Jojen's eyes turned green. Were they naturally green? Don't think so.

No they were always green, as are Meera's.

They may later have become a deeper green when he got the green sight, but they were always green.

No they were always green, as are Meera's.

They may later have become a deeper green when he got the green sight, but they were always green.

We don't actually know that do we? They might or might not have always been green. We also don't know who their mother is so the High Septon having brown eyes does not mean he is not Howland Reed,

We don't actually know that do we? They might or might not have always been green. We also don't know who their mother is so the High Septon having brown eyes does not mean he is not Howland Reed,

We do know. It is in their descriptions.

And no,we don't know if they got their eyes from their mother or father. But it is about 50% likely they came from the father, so is valid in a list of evidence against the theory even if it is no smoking gun.

Meera and Jojen are clues as to what kind of person Howland is and what he looks like, and it doesn't fit the High Sparrow.

Eye colour is one of the difficult themes of the genetics, more complex than the mendelian pattern of Aa x Bb. It follows some basic rules, like two blue-eyed people cannot have any brown-eyed chilren, but the rest is difficult to predict. Sometimes the trait can skip one or more generations.

Also it can change through the life, some medicaments can change eye colour from blue to dark brown.

Jojen and Meera are both confidant, Jojen with his innate ability and Meera with her martial ability. They can be taken more for commoners than the heirs of the Lord of Greywater. They're loyal, traveling from the Neck to Winterfell to restate their vows. They’re also courageous, traveling along with Bran north of the Wall in order to confront an overwhelming enemy to the realm. If the HS is HR, he's shown similar attributes to blend into his surroundings to confront an overwhelming enemy out of loyalty.

Remember what Mormont told Jon about Aemon: that the High Septon himself offered to absolve him from his vow to the Nights Watch.

By putting himself into the position of being the High Septon, Howland can perform absolutions and blessings that can influence the legitimacy of the claim holder.

Arya = Nan,

Sansa = Alayne

Tyrion = Hugor

Barristan = Arstan

Varys = Jailer

Quentyn = “Frog”

There are lots of instances throughout these books of people pretending to be someone other than who they actually are.

If this theory is to be considered, we need to accept that Howland Reed has not forsaken the Old Gods, but is paving the way for a return to the Old Ways. He can use his position of power to unite all the peoples of Westeros in the fight against their common enemy, the Others. After all, Howland Reed is sure to know of the imminent threat beyond the Wall, due to his greenseeing abilities.

He is also the only living person who knows that R+L=J. If he were to reveal this information to the masses, it would act to further an alliance between the worshipers of the Seven and those who worship the Old Gods.

Although it seems a lot more likely that the High Septon is either Varys himself, or one of his minions, paving the way for Aegon, the idea of the High Setpon being Howland Reed isn't that much of a crackpot theory. The most likely of theories are seldom the right ones, and if this one were to be true, it could open up a number of avenues that would push the story further North (which is what George has promised from Winds of Winter anyway.)

Let us not forget also, that Varys would have read Ned Stark's final letter. IF (and it's pretty likely) the letter contained confirmation that R+L=J, then Varys may either be working with Howland Reed, or allowing him to carry out his own agenda for the time being. Either way, this would keep Varys' options open as to which Targaryen he wants to put on the Iron Throne, as we all know that they are quite volatile individuals, so the more he has to choose from, the easier it will be to finding a Targaryen suitable to rule over the people.

Sorry if any of this has already been mentioned, don't usually do this sort of thing, but the theory seemed pretty feasible to me, and I think it could lead to a number of new possibilities for the characters down south. I've been wondering for a while how George intends to push the story further north with so many loose ends yet to be tied elsewhere. Howland Reed is essentially building an army under the guise of a religious figure. He has/will soon have the power to tell the common folk of the threat beyond the Wall. Perhaps he will tell the people that the true King of Westeros is at the Wall? Who knows!

Maybe this is all wishful thinking, but it's getting me excited nonetheless!

Thanks to whoever come up with this one!

I like this, even more than I like the theory about Varys being a Faceless Man (sorry if that was dismissed or something, it's been a long time since my last adventures around this forum).

The way the High Sparrow rose to power and intends to keep it really works with the idea that he might be HR wanting to overthrow the Lannisters, declare Tommen the bastard he really is and put Jon in the Iron Throne. As HS he would be able to relief Jon of his vows to the NW (as another user has already pointed, one High Septon already offered to relief Aemon of similar vows), reveal his true parentage and anoint him King. The fact that Jon is as much of a bastard as Tommen would probably be a problem around the less faithful lords, but I'm of the opinion that this HS has enough support of the small folk to do whatever the f*** he wants without being questioned (not to mention his army).

I also loved the mention to the carved faces of the seven inside the audience chamber, it went by completely unnoticed by me when I was reading AFFC.

Love it, buy it, hope it's true!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and have read a lot of theories and this one is so far my favorite :) We have all been wondering what HR is up to and this would be such a great twist! Also, I really cant imagine that the new HS is just some random wandering septon who decided to meddle in the Game of Thrones and piss of a lot of powerful people (Lannisters, Tyrells). And the hint of Cersei and Taena discussing the identity issue is just to strong... There has to be more to this guy than we know of. Any suggestions who else it might be, if not HR? Any other "missing persons" that could fit the description?

• 1 month later...

If one more person sais something about the High Septon not being Jojen Reed because he worships the Old God's I am going to scream. It is not required for him to be a devout worsherper of the 7. It is only required that he pretend to be a devout worshiper of the 7. I don't see any reason to think that would be impossible. The age difference is a good point against the theory though.

If one more person sais something about the High Septon not being Jojen Reed because he worships the Old God's I am going to scream. It is not required for him to be a devout worsherper of the 7. It is only required that he pretend to be a devout worshiper of the 7. I don't see any reason to think that would be impossible. The age difference is a good point against the theory though.

as are the eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Varys hates and fears magic THIS IS KNOWN! I personally love and buy into this theory. Varys has professed his hatred for all things magic due to the wizard who threw his "parts" into the brazier and what he saw. So why would someone who hates all things magic be using magic to "glamour" himself. Varys is NOT HS. HR is a way more likely suspect. Especially since noone knows where he is. This is where he could extract his revenge and do the most damage.

No. HS is either a pet of Varys, or he is Varys wearing a glamor. He is working in line with Varys, to pave the stones for fAegon's arrival. He is manipulating Cersei into follies. He will crush whatever left of Lannister-Tyrell alliance.

You should ask this question:

Varys killed Kevan and Pycelle because they were repairing the damage done by Cersei. He wanted Cersei in charge of everything again. How can it be possible that he leaves the fate of fAegon into the hands of this highly influental HS? If the HS would be an enemy of fAegon, then he could have created a significant obstacle to him. In that case, Varys would have to kill him too.

Perhaps Varys cant get into great sept of baelor. The sept was created much after Maegor's keep was constructed so may not have secret tunnels.

Varys hates and fears magic THIS IS KNOWN! I personally love and buy into this theory. Varys has professed his hatred for all things magic due to the wizard who threw his "parts" into the brazier and what he saw. So why would someone who hates all things magic be using magic to "glamour" himself. Varys is NOT HS. HR is a way more likely suspect. Especially since noone knows where he is. This is where he could extract his revenge and do the most damage.

No, HR is not the least bit likely. Nothing about this theory makes the slightest bit of sense. Wrong age, wrong eyes, wrong religion. Being a character who was mentioned but not introduced means precisely nothing.

I do wonder about HR, but when guessing who HS is, at least pick someone of the correct age and religion. Leyton Hightower maybe. Or, shocker, just some random Sparrow.

Perhaps Varys cant get into great sept of baelor. The sept was created much after Maegor's keep was constructed so may not have secret tunnels.

One of his disguises is a begging brother. He has little birds in the sept too as Kevan was hesitant to talk private matters with Cersei there. Even Qyburn had spies that informed him about the eceltion of the new High Septon.

I'm not saying he switched religions. But if he pretending to be HS he would have to pretend to practice the Faith of seven. Maybe its not. I stated that I like this theory not that it was fact. If you look at the wiki descriptions of both characters they are pretty close. Like I said not saying this is fact but where is HR? He is a way more likely candidate than Varys. He is fat and bald and wouldn't be using magic. He told Tyrion the story of how he became a enuch and also his hatred for all things magic so he would NOT be using a glamour.

I'm not saying he switched religions. But if he pretending to be HS he would have to pretend to practice the Faith of seven. Maybe its not. I stated that I like this theory not that it was fact. If you look at the wiki descriptions of both characters they are pretty close. Like I said not saying this is fact but where is HR? He is a way more likely candidate than Varys. He is fat and bald and wouldn't be using magic. He told Tyrion the story of how he became a enuch and also his hatred for all things magic so he would NOT be using a glamour.

They are NOT close. The High Sparrow is an old man with a heavily lined face. Howland Reed is no more than 35

Archived