'Heroes' to return as mini series in 2015

Anatúrinbor

I have no idea what to feel about this return. Season 1 of Heroes was my absolute favourite show of all time, the concept was fantastic and it was looking like the plot was so intricate and exciting and could go all of these different ways which was fun to predict. After season 2 it went to being my favourite show just at that time. The Shanti Virus plot could have worked if it had spread and the writers weren't forced to cut it half way. After season 3 and during season 4 I had completely lost faith it would get back to greatness. Then when it was cancelled i was like "no it's shit now but there needs to be an ending! Firefly/Serenity situation please?". Then after a few years of nothing I had accepted that it was just a show that had potential but severely lost its way and whatever ending they were planning I probably would have hated anyway.

Now i'm gonna get my ending. Presumably it will address the events after Claire reveals herself, and there are a set of new 'heroes' trying to live in the open amongst the rest of society. But, i just don't know if i care now.

I like the format this one will take much better than what came before it. Season 1 of Heroes was pretty fun but everything after that blew. If they can put together a tight, 13 episode season, I can see this working out really well. Just avoid all the filler and insane overpowering.

New characters and a complete break from the previous storylines.

If that's what they're doing, I'll check it out. I loved season 1 and was willing to give season 2 the benefit of the doubt since the writers were working for a mid-season finale in anticipation of the writers' strike. It was season 3 where I dropped it. However, season 1 shows that the concept can work, so I'd be willing to at least give it the first episode. OTOH, if for some reason it never airs, I wouldn't exactly be disappointed. And if it turns out I have to know anything about what happened in season 4, I'm turning the TV off. I'm not going back to watch the rest of season 3 or what I heard season 4 became just to watch this show.

New characters and a complete break from the previous storylines. Guest appearances are fine as long as they don't bring any baggage with them.

Surely given the ending of the show it would have to be a pretty different set up for the show?

But even that plot seems dumb to me. If the specials are out in the open isn't it just X-men?

This is the only way to bring back the show. Wipe out all the crap and start fresh.

Samurai Hiro steps out from behind the door, sliding his sword from its sheath. Skylar looks up from his desk, confusion clear on his face. Hiro glances at the clockwork gears and parts on the desktop before settling his gaze back on Skylar. "For the cheerleader."

Nice!

I pray to Grabthar you end up on the writing team.

Samurai Hiro steps out from behind the door, sliding his sword from its sheath. Skylar looks up from his desk, confusion clear on his face. Hiro glances at the clockwork gears and parts on the desktop before settling his gaze back on Skylar. "For the cheerleader."

O_o

Skylar?

I like the idea that they are making it 13 episodes. It started off so good the first season and if they would have had a clean ending to it like a 13 episode arc presents, then maybe. I don't know. I guess it depends on the characters they have and how they approach the story. It was really disappointing when this show fell off its game.

OK when Heroes started, not much was expected of it, and it was different and fresh. Then it became a hit, and NBC corporate blood sucking Ass munching bastards, and the showrunners tried to make it something it wasn't., and it fell flat.

Now there is Arrow, A of Shield, and all the other Super heroes shows on the last few years, and the they are trying again? w/ a new cast? I don't think its a good idea.

• 1 month later...

Heroes Reborn prequel,

The network is ramping up a whole slate of new digital content, and one of the flagship projects will be an online prequel series that will bridge the gap between the 2006-2010 Heroes series and the upcoming 13-episode Heroes Reborn miniseries.

The digital series will be produced by Heroes creator Tim Kring, and considering the network’s big push into digital, it should at least have a decent budget and (hopefully) provide some meaningful content that’s not just filler.

Then you'd have wasted the chance to be among the first to bash Tim and whine about how sitty the new show is, just as expected.

In this day and age my watch-and-whine queue will never be so empty that I need to risk being disappointed by Heroes again to get my rocks off.

• 4 months later...

News is a bit old, but the new series is not going to be a complete reboot, and of the old cast at least Jack Coleman, who played Claire's father, is returning. It's not clear whether Zachary Quinto will return as Sylar or not, but it's a possibility. Quinto said: "I've been in touch with Tim [Kring, creator] and he told me they were doing this and we left the door open for me to be involved, the trouble is really my availability..."

More info from this interview,

Q: Can you give a sense of what that vision is?

A: It takes place in a post-season 4 universe. So it will tie into some of the ideas that were left dangling.

Q: One of the first comments people seem to have when hearing about this project, was that some wished you wouldn't [be] bringing back previous characters, that you'd start entirely fresh. Can you talk about the decision to return to old characters and how much focus will they have?

A: The vast, vast majority are brand new characters, brand new ideas. [bringing back previous characters is] really only to give a sense of continuity and a tether to the original world. If it was all completely brand new, we'd miss certain elements that need to be there to give you that bridge to cross to something new. I approached Coleman because he was a character who had a spine through the series that allowed you to meet new characters. So he's a character I wanted to make sure had a little part at the beginning of this thing.

Q: Given the new chance to re-enter this world, are there any lessons from the first time around that you plan to do differently?

A: The big one we already touched on, and thats to know where youre going from the very beginning with a set number of episodes.

• 4 months later...

A clean slate approach is what is needed.

Have to admit I quite liked the first season of Heroes. Good premise with bags of potential. However apart from a couple of actors (Sylar, Clare) most of the cast were terrible, just dreadful actors. Particularly Petrelli / Ventimiglia, Parkman/ Grunberg, Mohinder and Noah / Coleman. The first season worked in spite of these crappy actors since the whole arc had focus and everything was new and interesting. Once the writing became sloppy and convoluted the show's problems were exassperated by these poor actors.

More focus with less episodes per season, better writing with planned arcs (where it doesnt seem like theyre just making it up between each episode) and new competent actors might actually make that show worth watching again.

• 4 months later...

The 13-episode event series will debut September 24

Trailer #1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHClJhC8Wfs

NBC has released the first trailer for Heroes Reborn that offers a closer look at just what to expect from the follow-up series.

The 13-episode drama launches Sept. 24 at 8 p.m. and will, like the flagship, chronicle the lives of ordinary people who discover they possess extraordinary abilities.

Here's the official series description for Reborn, per NBC:

"A year ago, a terrorist attack in Odessa, Texas, left the city decimated. Blamed for the tragic event, those with extraordinary abilities are in hiding or on the run from those with nefarious motives.

Two such vigilantes include Luke (Zachary Levi, Chuck) and Joanne (Judith Shekoni, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2), who are seeking to avenge a tragic loss.

Noah Bennet, aka HRG (Jack Coleman, reprising his role from the original), has gone off the grid but conspiracy theorist Quentin Frady (Henry Zebrowski, A to Z) finds him and opens his eyes to the truth behind the Odessa tragedy.

While in hiding, some are discovering their newfound skills. Awkward teen Tommy (Robbie Kay, Once Upon a Time) just wants to be normal and win the girl of his dreams, Emily (Gatlin Green, Criminal Minds), but normalcy is virtually impossible after learning of a new ability that terrifies him. Coming from a very sheltered upbringing, a bold and ethereal teenager, Malina (Danika Yarosh, Shameless), has been told she is destined for greatness. In Tokyo, a quiet and unique young woman, Miko (Kiki Sukezane, Death Yankee 3), is trying to track down her missing father while hiding an extraordinary secret that will make her a force to be reckoned with. Elsewhere, a different type of hero is emerging through former soldier Carlos (Ryan Guzman, The Boy Next Door).

Meanwhile, Erica (Rya Kihlstedt, Masters of Sex), the head of the highly successful tech conglomerate Renautas, has an agenda of her own.

For better or for worse, some are fated to cross paths with assorted heroes of the past, including Hiro Nakamura (Masi Oka), Matt Parkman (Greg Grunberg), Mohinder Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy) and the Haitian (Jimmy Jean-Louis), among others. Yet, together, their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world and mankind."

The limited series from Heroes creator Tim Kring and is exec produced by James Middleton (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) and Peter Elkoff (Sons of Anarchy). Heroes Reborn is produced by Imperative Entertainment, in association with Universal Television.

Archived