True Detective V

Mark Antony

Whoops, only just now noticed that, thanks for the correction.

On a side note, it's still unlikely that he's one of the two officers we see in 2002. (Not that I think that you're implying that.)

It's impossible. What is being suggested is that he's related to the old Sheriff somehow and it's a familial thing.

It makes me wonder how Marty would have reacted had he had a son who was having a threesome with two other girls. I reckon he would have congratulated his son and say how he's become a 'man' -_-

I was discussing this bit with someone. It's actually hard to balance out the message of being sex-positive with how victims of abuse sometimes treat sexual encounters as they grow up.

If Audrey were a boy, would the audience and Marty think the encounter was awesome? Not a big deal? Would've been interesting to explore as I wonder if we'd have cared as much about a boy drawing pictures of people having sex at a young age?

On this, since I've seen it a few times. I didn't get the impression at all that she was that disturbed by how the face looked. I think she started thinking about how the guy looked, which triggered some PTSD on remembering all the other things. I doubt very seriously that it's a mask or it's super hideous. IT's the associations with the face that's problematic.

Yeah, I figured it was the things she was made to watch that affected her.

But it seems like Dora Lange was originally really taken by the church and being a nun for the cult.

I think the cultists believe women/girls witnessing the sexual torture somehow open the way to Carcosa - some kind of initiation that opens the way to the Yellow King. Or some other mumbo-jumbo to rationalize their evil & abuse serving a higher purpose.

So far Rust's hallucinations haven't mattered much, so I expect something to appear that we - and he - can rationalize away as illusion.

It's impossible. What is being suggested is that he's related to the old Sheriff somehow and it's a familial thing.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Unrelated crackpot: Rust's daughter was kidnapped and possibly killed by the cult. Maybe even his wife too, which is why he's obsessed with missing women and children.

Marty's comment about "that woman, those kids" has been nagging me ever since it came up, because I have the feeling that something's under OUR noses and we're just missing it.

Good idea, whoever said that the woman he was referring to could be the child killer... I didn't really understand what she was saying, but did anyone catch it? Did she kill the babies to prevent them from growing up?

If he does mean her, there are two facts about her that are interesting: obviously, the fact that she murdered her children, (though she didn't go for abortion/she waited for them to be born, right?) but also the issue about their conception... Doesn't Marty ask at some point "Geez, have you ever heard of condoms?" So if she's connected to the "cult", she must have been sexually abused and/or forced or brainwashed into killing the babies.

I like this theory about the baby killer and her babies being "that woman, those kids". One question mark though ; Weren't the first two killed in Pennsylvania? Although it is possible the cult spans from LA to PA, but not likely.

Who knows? Well, we will in two weeks. :-)

I think that's somewhat wrong; Marty (when interviewed) has zero sign of following any recent cases. The 'that woman, those kids' might be foreshadowing - but it's not going to be that Marty actually knows about anything. At least not yet.

That seems a bit far fetched. However, I have wondered about Rust's father being a follower or believer or some strange, similar cult. It would explain why Rust is so obsessed with these killings.

No, I don't think it's farfetched at all. I can definitely see them going for a twist like that. [Rust's daughter having been kidnapped.] It would make a lot of sense actually.

Good idea, whoever said that the woman he was referring to could be the child killer... I didn't really understand what she was saying, but did anyone catch it? Did she kill the babies to prevent them from growing up?

You're saying he already knows who the child killer is?

No, I don't think it's farfetched at all. I can definitely see them going for a twist like that. [Rust's daughter having been kidnapped.] It would make a lot of sense actually.

We'll just have to come back to this after episode 8. :-)

We've seen Marty's reaction to sex crimes against women. He loses it. He killed Ladoux. We've seen him react to his daughter being victimized as an underage girl in a threesome. He beat the hell out of the two kids.

I think this is build up for the finale where he finds out Audrey has been the victim of the cult. He is going to totally snap in a murderous rage.

Yeah, with the amount of work involved in directing an entire eight hour series yourself, I can't imagine they'll get back-to-back directors for any season of the show. I'm hoping they'll stick with having just one writer (Pizzolatto; who recently mentioned on Twitter that it's likely a female will be one of the main characters in season two, for those who concern themselves with such things) and one director for each season. Two, at most (on either front).

I'm guessing we won't get any word on a renewal until they've locked in at least one actor or actress, and possibly even until they've got a director lined up. Considering this past episode of the show was the highest-rated yet, I think it's a foregone conclusion that we're getting a second season (or more of one, since Pizzolatto signing an overall deal, the high initial ratings that have continued on, the critical acclaim, and various interviews where the writer has mentioned he's already working on a second season all naturally led to this conclusion).

Psychology Today publishes an analysis of the leads.

ETA: Thread is moving so fast I missed that I'd been attacked and defended! :)

It's OK guys. The skin under this fur is pretty thick.

Maple was quoting Cohle talking to Ginger. I thought it was clearly a joke and not an insult...

:dunno:

Maple was quoting Cohle talking to Ginger. I thought it was clearly a joke and not an insult...

Twas what I thought. The other shit was weird but I assumed that he was just making a reference.

Also: when people hit-and-run like above do they seem themselves as quick shooting mavericks, blasting fast and riding into the sunset or guerillas pre-emptively running from battle?

Everyone misreading maple's post is not a real True Detective fan. It's like an entrance exam. :lol:

It was a quote people. Deep breath.

If we're making a quiz on True Detective cred, you can't use a Ginger-related quote. Too easy.

It's probably better to only draw from the episodes that Ginger doesn't appear in at all, because most people have probably rewatched 4 and 5 so many times.

That is correct. I am guilty of a Ginger obsession and possibly a bad sense of humor but not of being rude to anyone. Someone calle due out for using the B word previously and I changed it, no big deal. As much as I like the person posting that my 29 posts are insightful or brilliant or whatever, that is not me posting about myself, nor my "mummy". Just someone stirring. Seems like much ado about nothing going on here.

I'm afraid my posts/theories have been a bit scattered but then that's the nature of the show. I still think the yet unseen character "Robert Domain" will have something to do with it all, and I think the Fontenot = wellspring, connection to school, etc. is key. I no longer think discerning the Yellow King is necessary to the case. I also think the duality of everything in the show sets this up for the coverup being done by people thinking they are protecting someone or helping and that Cohle is an outsider and will only cause trouble. I think some good people have decided best to let the past alone and not hurt their loved ones. what I can't figure out is exactly what they are covering, for who, and why. I also think Cohle staged the Lake Charles scene to flush this out. He is a hunter and he has been tracking tracking tracking for years, now he has to flush the target out in order to take it down. I think "that women those kids" significant and I think Maggie's "You don't know the half of it" is as well. Gonna be exhilarating and then a bit of a crash when it is over. As an aside: anyone else wondering if Cohle's whole story is a cover and he was in fact undercover for ? while with the Louisiana CID the whole time and then from 2002-2010 his off the grid years he was back into whatever real life he had??? Seems like 2002-2010 is a long time to be "off the grid" There is also another "undercover cop" listed in imdb for episode 8.

Deep breath and then let's get this thing solved or be maddened doing it.

At the risk of offending people, I came here randomly and solely to interact about True detective. what exactly is this forum for originally?

At the risk of offending people, I came here randomly and solely to interact about True detective. what exactly is this forum for originally?

A series of novels I think?

Some nerdy shit about dragons or whatever.

Archived