True Detective V

Mark Antony

I kept noticing when Tuttle came into the photo he had a lot of yellow on him. Yellow tie, yellow hankerchief in his pocket, golden rings, golden objects on his table. Room was a light yellowish color and everything was bright.

Ah thanks for that - will have to look out for that in my inevitable rewatch.

OK, the horrific shit with this girl....it centered around the face....that also seemed to be a point for landmine guy who was like "I can see your soul at the edges of your eyes" and "I don't like your face" and all of that.

Trisk...I think I lost you here. "This girl" meaning the girl they rescued?

Are you saying you think Cohle is a suspect?

Posted this in other thread as spoiler, now that it has basically happened, don't need spoiler

“THE MASK”

Spoiler

Seduction scene by Maggie at Rust's place Maggie: You, should unmask show me you care about something. Rust: Really? Maggie: Really it’s time. We all have laid aside disguise but you. I've laid aside the mask that my marriage to Marty means anything, I want you Rust: I wear no mask, I don't care about you Maggie: No mask? No mask! You really don't care about anyone or anything not even yourself.

The King in Yellow, Act I, Scene 2.

Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.

Stranger: Indeed?

Cassilda: Indeed it’s time. We all have laid aside disguise but you.

Stranger: I wear no mask.

Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

The mask of self-deception was no longer a mask for me, it was a part of me.

So the scene pretty much played out that way Maggie "be honest" etc. Except it was maggie who doesn't seem to care about Rust.

"The mask of self-deception was no longer a mask for me, it was a part of me."

Interesting as it seems Marty or Maggie bears is the king of self-deception.

One thing seems clear, ain't gonna be no arrest, ain't gonna be no trial. WWGD

Tuttle must kill himself because Cohle gets some evidence from his place. Or someone else does it to silence.

I kinda wonder what book Cohle picked up at Joel Theriot's place ... somebody in the show has to have a copy of Yellow King.

That was the toughest to watch, saddest, shortest sex scene ever. The pain in those two characters. Wow. :(

I know, :crying:

Best part of the ep was rust telling charmine to go kill herself. And he was being kind.

That shocked the hell out of me - a combination of being kind and a continuation of his belief of "fuck them".

Man, I thought this episode was amazing. And it was all mostly from two scenes: the affair with Maggie and Rust and the meeting between Tuttle and Rust. These were just phenomenally well done sequences. Both had a soundtrack that was unique to the series thus far, and both in certain ways defied my expectations. I honestly thought that Rust would turn down Maggie. I figured, like most, that some kind of romantic...thing, would happen between them, but I didn't know what. The actual scene, in my opinion, was brilliant. It wasn't sexy. I didn't have that feeling of wanting the characters to finally hook up, despite expecting it. It felt shitty. Neither of them really wanted it, and they both instantly regretted it. Combined with the brilliant soundtrack, it was just plain creepy. As weird as it may sound, it was probably one of the best sex scenes I've ever seen in a movie/show. It captured both the raw erotic nature as well as the emotions of the people -- and how much both of them didn't really want it, in the end.

See, I didn't read it that way - I've always thought that Rust has had a thing for Maggie - it's int he little mentions: "know what we want", the cozy chat in the kitchen, the hurt when she verbally smacked him at the diner, how Rust seemed to get extra disgusted about Marty's infidelity.

I think Rust was trying to 'be good' and but he's a guy, and I'm not surprised that he caved into what he had secretly always wanted when she was practically climbing him like a tree.

When they were done, he came back to his senses and realized that she was there for her own purposes and not because she wanted him. She wanted revenge and used him to get it - the hurt is crushed up in his voice before he finally yells for her to get out.

So, can we all agree that in the preview for next episode, Rust was showing Marty video footage of his daughter?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a safe bet. Though it will be interesting to see how it plays out between the two of them - "You knew and didn't say anything? How long have you known?!"

My favorite little touch was the busted taillight on Rust's truck.

I did too!

I kept noticing when Tuttle came into the photo he had a lot of yellow on him. Yellow tie, yellow hankerchief in his pocket, golden rings, golden objects on his table. Room was a light yellowish color and everything was bright.

I saw it too, but I'm wondering if that's too obvious a ploy.

I thought it was cool how the atmosphere changed after the one Deacon's name was mentioned. Tuttle frosted up, his attitude not quite so friendly. Up until that point, Rust had Tuttle zero'd in like a laser beam. But once that exchange happened, Rust relaxed - like he had won.

Rust didn't need to go to the archives by that point, he knew that there wouldn't be anything there of use and it would be dangerous to be in a secluded place within the Tuttle compound.

Rust probably had 10 minutes with Tuttle and that was all he needed.

Sorry for rambliness. GINGER NYQUIL BABY!

Also I thought it was cool symbolism at the last shot - Rust's tail light is still busted from their fight 10 years earlier. Pretty much sums up where their relationship is right now. Although it's a bit weird he didn't get pulled over for a busted tail light in the 8 years no one heard from him.

And Marty must be doing well as a PI with his new Cadillac. And Rust is still stuck with his old pickup.

What's the tally on The Wire characters now? We had Lester Freamon, Brother Mouzone, and now Spiros (The Greek's henchman). Did I forget anyone?

Rust is one cold ass motherfucker with his suspects. I totally agreed with Marty that he didn't have to tell that guy it was his fault his wife died. And telling that girl to kill herself was just shitty.

I'm wondering, how much evidence does Rust have that there's really a conspiracy, or that Tuttle has anything to do with the killings? There seemed to be a lot of circumstantial evidence that would only seem compelling to someone who already believed it. This whole thing might just be a case of what Marty warned him against in episode 1, with the whole constructing a narrative and then using clues to put it together. How crazy would that be if that line was foreshadowing for this? Still, it seems to me like he doesn't have anything compelling right now, unless I missed something.

What was the point of the scene with Marty beating up those two boys? Was it just to show his character more, and how unhinged he is? Obviously he couldn't stomach what he did. I guess it's to play into how Maggie mentioned that he didn't know who he was or what he wanted like Rust does (I think that's what she said).

"Beth" is part of the main cast of Banshee. FYI.

Who's the fat guy in glasses that they show in the opening sequence?

He was the guy pointed out to Rust and Marty as not a possible suspect because someone cut off his genitals.

Ever notice in the theme song sequence someone in shadow is on fire, but in a pose similar to Dora Lange, and it looks like Rust Cohle?

I liked Maggie saying [paraphrasing] "Rust knew exactly who he was and there was no talking him out of it" and then juxtaposing "Marty's single biggest problem was that he never really knew himself so he never really knew what to want". My immediate thought after hearing that was "yep".

Looks like Rust's goin' Ninja Cat Burgler next episode :ph34r:

Archived