College Basketball 2014: Blue Blooded Court Storming Edition

Rhom

Other thread hit 21 pages.

Current topics of discussion:

Boeheim ejected, Cuse loses two games in one week. Duke goes 2-1 on the week... will undoubtedly climb in the rankings.

Florida likely to ascend to number 1 today. Extends school record winning streak to 19.

Will UNC be ranked when polls come out today?

Larry Brown can coach.

UCLA gets ranked. Loses to Stanford. Bruins Nation loses their mind. Just another day in Westwood.

NIT Bracketology has IU listed as a 4 seed. Think they'll get Sweet 16 rings for making it there?

ETA: Oh, and this tweet from Not Jerry Tipton is classic:

In the past year, Rick Pitino got a tattoo, grew facial hair & publicly discussed "blunts." It took 13 years, but he's now 100% Cardinal.

:rofl:

Really disappointing by George Washington, going 3-4 in their last 7. At St. Louis was a perfectly reasonable loss, and there's nothing wrong with losing at VCU, but at Dayton and vs. Massachusetts should've been won. At 20-7, and with some nice wins early on, I still think they make the tournament, but they really better win their final 3 games, particularly considering the competition.

Meanwhile, Buffalo's doing very nicely. Right now they're slotted for the #2 seed in the MAC tournament (which would give them a bye all the way to the semi-finals), with games left against the only two teams who could catch them. Considering the MAC tournament winner's the only one making it to the NCAA tournament, only having to win two games to be the champ is a good place to be in. Of course, first they have to get there, and they were the #2 seed a couple years ago and lost in the finals. But, for a team that's still never made the NCAA tournament in its history, one can only, and always, hope.

Really disappointing by George Washington, going 3-4 in their last 7. At St. Louis was a perfectly reasonable loss, and there's nothing wrong with losing at VCU, but at Dayton and vs. Massachusetts should've been won. At 20-7, and with some nice wins early on, I still think they make the tournament, but they really better win their final 3 games, particularly considering the competition.

Meanwhile, Buffalo's doing very nicely. Right now they're slotted for the #2 seed in the MAC tournament (which would give them a bye all the way to the semi-finals), with games left against the only two teams who could catch them. Considering the MAC tournament winner's the only one making it to the NCAA tournament, only having to win two games to be the champ is a good place to be in. Of course, first they have to get there, and they were the #2 seed a couple years ago and lost in the finals. But, for a team that's still never made the NCAA tournament in its history, one can only, and always, hope.

Didn't realize Buffalo had never made the tourney. The MAC is a solid conference for a mid-major, so I can see it being tough to get out of that one though.

Such is the bitter disappointment of investing emotionally in Nebrasketball. But this year is different. A new arena. A young, up and coming coach. This year will be different. In the very first game Dunk City came to Lincoln and left with 0 dunks. Mark my words.

In case you are were wondering, Nebrasketball is alive and well. After a disappointing 1-5 start in B1G play Nebraska got hot going 7-1, including dismantling #9 ranked Michigan State on the road. Whooo doggy! Baring a melt down of epic proportions Nebraska should make the NCAA tourney for the first time in over 15 years!!!! Can I get a What What?

It's probably to early to celebrate as that is when the Huskers disappoint me.

Awwwww Hell Nawwwww...

I make no apologies. Not after 14 years of Reggie, he of the sub .500 record and only four invitations to any postseason tournaments (only one of which was the NIT)*.

*Although, in fairness, we were totally robbed that year and should've made the NCAA.

New AP poll is out. That can't be right... Duke dropped a spot.

UNC debuts at number 19. Right there with Kentucky and Michigan State. Sounds about right to me.

Great win against Cuse, but a loss to an unranked UNC will do that. They're about where I think they should be - top ten, but not top 4. Now only if they can get Plumlee to play with the fire he did in the first half and turn to the basket earlier, that could be fun to watch.

In more minor college news...my U Hartford Hawks are in 4th in the America East with 2 games left - they win out and they stand a strong chance to get to the conference finals. Course, they just got slaughtered by the #1 team in the conference, but who knows...maybe they can catch lightening in a bottle and get their first tourney bid.

So, I learned this bit of history today: In 1983, Kansas beat Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 8 tournament, which was played at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman (Back then first round games were hosted by the higher seed in the conference tourney apparently). In retribution, Billy Tubbs cut down the nets at Phog the following season after clinching the Big 8 title with a win there.

Can you imagine if something like that happened today?

So, I learned this bit of history today: In 1983, Kansas beat Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 8 tournament, which was played at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman (Back then first round games were hosted by the higher seed in the conference tourney apparently). In retribution, Billy Tubbs cut down the nets at Phog the following season after clinching the Big 8 title with a win there.

Can you imagine if something like that happened today?

It always amazes me the way things used to be... Like the concept of the Final Four being held in a place like Rupp Arena or Freedom Hall. :stunned:

Probably because of the loss to UNC. (BTW, nice job on the new thread title. I loled.)

Well I figure between both UNC and Boeheim storming courts this week, it was fitting. :lol:

Also... Classy Wichita State hoodie.

It always amazes me the way things used to be... Like the concept of the Final Four being held in a place like Rupp Arena or Freedom Hall. :stunned:

Well I figure between both UNC and Boeheim storming courts this week, it was fitting. :lol:

Also... Classy Wichita State hoodie.

Hmmm...for a team with 22 of their games played against teams with an RPI SOS ranked out of the top 100, they might want to simmer down a little. Especially when you look at say Kansas who has 21 in the top 50.

Hmmm...for a team with 22 of their games played against teams with an RPI SOS ranked out of the top 100, they might want to simmer down a little. Especially when you look at say Kansas who has 21 in the top 50.

Eh, let 'em have their fun. What else is WSU going to get excited about, other than getting a shocker? I still can't believe they insist on sticking with that, um, hand gesture.

Eh, let 'em have their fun. What else is WSU going to get excited about, other than getting a shocker? I still can't believe they insist on sticking with that, um, hand gesture.

Very true. They live in Wichita for fuck's sake. I spent six months in Wichita one week. Never again.

Very true. They live in Wichita for fuck's sake. I spent six months in Wichita one week. Never again.

I don't even know how that would work... But somehow I believe it!

They'll likely be in for a shocker come March Madness.

Well, Stanley Ann Dunham, mom of President Obama, came from Wichita. That has to count for something :) :)

Archived