Watch, Watched, Watching: New Year, New List.

Grand Moff Mithrandir

Marathoning The Wonder Years on Netflix. Forgot what a truly great show it was. It's aged well too, just as entertaining now as it was 20+ years ago. That kid who played Kevin was like a little adult

I'm noticing a lot of people who became stars: David Schwimmer and John Corbett as Karen's boyfriends. Young Robin Thicke. Both Zack and Screech from Saved by the Bell. Brecken Meyer as the detention hall living, beer drinking, cigarette smoking bad boy, Seth Green in a similar role.

Juliette Lewis and the Queen from once upon a time as Wayne's girlfriends.

Alicia Silverstone and Punky Brewster as Kevin's love interests.

Jim Caviezel as the basketball superstar!!

I watched There Will be Blood today. This was a movie that I have been interested in seeing for years, but never found the time to sit down and watch. Imagine my disappointment when today I found out that I would have been just as well off if I had never seen it.

This movie was just a mess. It was blatant pandering to award shows. I personally feel that Daniel Day Lewis is the most over rated actor in Hollywood.

I watched There Will be Blood today. This was a movie that I have been interested in seeing for years, but never found the time to sit down and watch. Imagine my disappointment when today I found out that I would have been just as well off if I had never seen it.

This movie was just a mess. It was blatant pandering to award shows. I personally feel that Daniel Day Lewis is the most over rated actor in Hollywood.

I think he's a top notch actor but I did crack up when people were declaring him a genius for becoming a shoe cobbler or whatever

sans cable for a while, ive been watching the dvd collection lately. a couple new, mostly rewatches. aproximate number of times seen in parenthesis. mostly comedies

Top Secret (uncountable)

possibly the best spoof movie ever made

Wagons East (1)

love candy and lewis but this was hugely disappointing

Closing Escrow (3)

had to go back to this one with how much mcclendon-covey is killing it on the goldbergs. its really a gem. not hilarious but consistently funny

Captain Ron(many)

this one always holds up. love it to detah

Planes trains and automobiles( 7?)

now this is quality candy

night at the roxbury (many)

very unappreciated.

stranger than fiction (3)

not that funny for the most part but it has its charms

Monkey business and animal crackers (4-5)

every couple years i need to watch all of the marx bros.

eddie murphy raw (2)

i mean, its good, but not as good as its reputation

across the pacific and they drive by night(2)

definitely among the lesser of bogarts works, although he is still great

last action hero (3)

bust or not, a lot of stuff here is funny and it is intentionally funny. i think many didnt get that

Out of all eddie murphy's stand up bits I prefer Delirious. Its genuinely funny and fairly different to most of the other stuff I'd seen.

Most stand up comedy doesnt age well since a lot of them are doing social commentary of their era, Raw was amazing when it came out.

He was the first black comedian i saw who didnt just copy Richard Pryors act.

yeah i can see that. still i feel like some older stuff holds up better. never seen delirious though

I went to the cinema twice this week. I do have a habit of gorging on films then not going for ages.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was very enjoyable. Just a pleasure to watch the whole way through. Whimsical and joyous and quite funny in places. Ralph Fiennes should do more comedy.

Under the Skin... Hmmm. Incredibly thought provoking film. My initial response after leaving the cinema was 'impressed but underwhelmed'. From the reviews I had expected more, I'd expected them to take the concept further. But after thinking about it more the next day I actually think it's a fantastic film.

My initial problem was that I didn't feel any sympathy/empathy for SJ's character (not named in the film) when she was experiencing her 'transition'. But in hindsight, perhaps we aren't meant to. Maybe emotional detachment (which we see a masterclass in, earlier in the film) is one of the film's messages. Maybe nobody really cares.

One thing I'm fascinated by is the secret filming - those guys actually did get into the van with an ominous stranger. That's very trusting of them!

Another thing is the Glaswegian accent - some of the vocals are quiet and mumbly. I had a job working out what they were saying myself so goodness knows how a US audience would cope with it. Surely it will be subtitled? Is it even out yet over there?

I do heartily recommend it. It's great to look at and it has an eerily atmospheric soundtrack. But if your prime motivation for watching it is to see SJ naked then it's possibly not going to be your kind of thing tbh.

Under the Skin... Hmmm. Incredibly thought provoking film.

Have you read the novel?

I read Faber's novel at the end of last year and really liked it. I'm really curious as to how the plot is presented visually...

P.S.: Wiki tells me its US release date is April 4.

My sister keeps getting mad at me for not watching Breaking Bad. She really wants me to watch it with her. I know everyone keeps saying it's really amazing so I guess I will

Yeah bitch. Get on it. I promise you'll enjoy it.

(The bitch sentence is a reference you'll soon get)

Biter: I've not read the novel. I'm going to though. Have read other books of his before and liked them so I'm sure it'll be good.

A friend of mine said they were haunted by the film after they saw it. Three days on... I know exactly what they mean. I keep thinking about it. I'd like to go and see it again at the pictures because it just won't be the same on the TV at home.

ETA: I've just started reading the book. I'm 20% done in no time at all. Seems like it'll be a very fast read.

I finally was able to watch Gravity, and it was fantastic. Although, Sandra Bullock's character was a raging moron, and I don't know how she was ever selected to go up in space.

Friday I watched The Wolf of Wall Street, another great movie. One of the most fun movies I've seen in a long time. In the movie when

Brad

dies at 35, Jordan talks about Mozart dying at 35 also (not that he feels that the audience will care about his tangent). Yesterday I'm reading Cold As Ice by Charles Sheffield published in 1992, and I came across a line about Mozart dying at 35. That was weird.

Just saw:

Frozen: I don't know if it was the best animated of the year, but I really did enjoy it. Saw the slight twist early on, but it was a lot of fun, which is exactly what I look for.

Now You See Me: Total guilty pleasure, but it's mathematically impossible for a movie with Morgan Freeman, Mark Ruffalo and Woody Harrelson to be bad. I liked how they handled the plot moving, I liked the "answer". May not be the greatest movie ever, but it was good.

Catching Fire: I have read the book, but couldn't remember much of it for some reason. I liked the movie but it really felt like it was just a middle piece - not really its own story. I can't wait to see how they do handle the last book.

After binging Deadwood, the Wire, and season 2 of House of Cards... we knew whatever we watched next would have it tough... so we watched Arrow, kind of because we knew it would suck... and it's kind of like an MST3K thing for us... we goof at all the plot holes, hack writing and atrocious acting... why they can't recognize someone they see every day just because he has a hood on is beyond me...

But that did set us up to watch Justified, which we're digging more than we would have a few weeks ago.

Archived