Watch, Watched, Watching: New Year, New List.

Grand Moff Mithrandir

I read that as The 4400 and was about to leap to its defence

I went to see The Past - honestly never thought I would pay to go and see a film in French but I'd seen the trailer for it twice and it convinced me. What an emotional film! So much sadness and anger. I found it gripping. But I felt wrung out afterwards. Not a good idea to go see it after a physically and mentally draining day at work. I ended up in a misery cycle and then watched The English Patient when I got home. :(

Magic Mike.

The first 2/3 of it were fun, not really sure what happened in the last third as I had just taken 2 vicodin and 2 muscle relaxers, but it looked like it got serious and changed the tone of the movie.

Been watching Party Down which is dead funny. Really like both Lizzy Caplan and Adam Scott too. Megan Mullaly turning up in series 2 was a bonus.

Other than that, just finished the first season of Utopia which was awesome. Recommend watching it at about 3am whilst drunk/off your head. Quality telly

So I rewatched Titanic the other day, after a (roughly) 5year gap. I enjoyed it very much, particularly the second half where it deals with the ship going down.

I think this movie does what it sets out to do very well, that is to be a tragic tale of love.

ETA: I'm currently playing catch up with season 2 of Arrow. I'm on episode 13 and I have to say its vastly improved from the first season, even though there are some massive plot holes and clunky dialogue here & there.

I watched American Hustle and Wolf on Wall Street this weekend.

American Hustle was great. Great performances all around. Loved the Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper dynamic, Jennifer Lawrence's (she's only 23!) and Amy Adams' characters and I wasn't expecting the story to end the way it did. Solid movie and what I think was the best picture of 2013 (of the ones I've seen so far).

Wolf on Wall Street was fun. It's everything I think of when I imagine the lives of Wall Street bankers in the 80s. Jonah Hill went outside his normal role quite well. While certainly entertaining, I thought Boiler Room (also based on Stratton Oakton) was better.

more movies in my dvd-only lifestyle

again, estimated lifetime views in ()

fistful of dollars (5)

such a good movie, with one glaring weakpoint, at least in the english version. the quality of the voice actor on the english dub for the kid is so bad. beyond bad. indescribably bad

the footfist way(2)

nice enough film for a small production. not particularly funny. not particularly dramatically interesting

the cable guy (many)

its been a while and i dont think id recognized before the ridiculously small parts for bob odenkirk and david cross. this on top of the already small roles for ben stiller and eric roberts.

in the heat of the night(6-7)

heat(3-4)

why two films with heat in the title? no idea

ride the high country(3)

i think i like this one less each viewing

So I just watched the two latest Family Guy episodes, and I haven't laughed at that show so hard in years. It was almost like a return to the glory days of the show, with me rolling around on my couch in mirth.

Watched Silicon Valley last night. It's a pretty damn good show, the pilot really impressed me. I might even go so far as to say it's just as good as Veep. But I won't. Cause there's no Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Yea, I enjoyed it too. Looking forward to the next few episodes.

I started watching two shows that for whatever reason I'd been putting off until now: The Mindy Project and The Good Wife.

The Mindy project is excellent. I already loved Mindy Kaling cause she wrote some of the funniest episode of The Office US but she really knows how to carry her own show without ever making it feel self-indulgent. It's a really refreshing comedy and I like how she explores romcom tropes and clichés. The nurse (always forget his name) really kinda seems like exactly the same character as Andy from Parks and Rec (the actor even looks pretty much exactly like Chris Pratt) but he's still pretty funny. I don't like Dr. Castellano though. I generally like Chris Messina in dramas but he doesn't have much going on in comedies.

The Good Wife is also great. Excellent cast. Love the mix of procedural and several-episode arks.

Watching BBC murder drama Shetland, set on the Scottish island of Shetland (d'uh!). Pretty good, though the accents may be a bit thick for some.

Some funny lines:

Det. Insp. Perez:" Bring in (suspect)."

Det. Sgt: "Now?"

Det. Insp. Perez: "Naw, Easter. I've got a chocolate egg for him."

Watched Fincher's The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo.

I really enjoyed it, it was tense, intriguing and disturbing at times. Rooney Mara was the standout performer for me, she totally owned the Lisbeth character.

One thing that puzzled me was Daniel Craig's inconsistent accent. Couldn't they have found someone else, maybe someone who's actually scandinavian.

Archived