Wyman Manderly

Dananias

So I was just thinking, sorry if this has been posted before.

When the time comes that we might need a Lord Wyman in the series.. do you think GRRM might take up the role himself? Hasn't he stated(or hinted) that he based Manderly on himself? I think it'd be supercool to see him actually playing in the series!

:D
In my humble opinion GRRM is too old to play that role .(not to mention his inexperience in acting)

Also he's not as fat as we want Manderly to be !

I actually just hope to see Lord Manderly in the series . I mean shouldn't he have been already cast in the series ?(I think if he's gonna be in it , we should see him in Season 4 . 5 is too late)

In my humble opinion GRRM is too old to play that role .(not to mention his inexperience in acting)

I actually just hope to see Lord Manderly in the series . I mean shouldn't he have been already cast in the series ?(I think if he's gonna be in it , we should see him in Season 4 . 5 is too late)

He won't be cast before Season 5. Davos is arriving at the Wall in 4x09, no way he can be in White Harbour at 4x10.

I'm pretty sure Davos leaves with Aemon, Gilly and Samwell and he then leaves for WH in 5x02 or 5x03.

Robbie Coltrane =)

We have seen his son die in the Red Wedding. Some might not know actually who that guy was but it's there in the scene for further reference. I doubt he was included, merman brooch and all, just for scenery purposes. They want the Manderlys being around.

Actually I was hoping to see at least a little backstory of him in this season . Just like The Mountain in season 1 .(Now that his actual role in series is going to happen , people have little knowledge about him and he won't be a just a big dude who came out of nowhere to fight a duel)

@gammaerys : Thanks , didn't know that guy was acually Wendel !

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah i somehow doubt GRRM would play Wyman Manderly, its too big a part for him to do given his lack of acting experience, and he is too old for it anyway, plus it would take up a lot of his time. If he were going to appear in the show, I'd want it to be a cameo with only a few lines, it could even be funny as a nod to the books. But for Wyman Manderly, I would prefer someone like Ian McNeice, or Brian Blessed maybe. There are plenty of good actors out there who would fit the part

John Henshaw would be great, he's the right age (a year younger than Coltrane, 14 years younger than Blessed), definitely has the acting chops (can play comic roles as well as more straight dramatic roles, can also be quite terrifying in a villain role)

I mentioned him in another thread yesterday, thinking of Wyman Manderly, despite that I'm not his agent

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aside from the weight, (which I don't think is a deal breaker btw), the actor needs a kind face. Someone who can do heartbroken and ineffectual, and still turn on the steel. The scene where he is straight with Davos I find to be one of the most inspiring in the series.

Ian McNeice is an easy actor to see in the mind's eye playing Wyman. My favorite choice is Jim Brodbent. He'd be one of those "gets" for Nina Gold and Co. and, while not the obese bannerman we picture, would embody Wyman's frame of mind for the audience to see.

Another inspired choice, I think, would be Timothy Spall. Almost brilliant, really. Nina Gold should hire me. I better stop giving these away for free! :)

Archived