Have you ever turned on a character?

LooseyRoosey

Have you guys ever started out liking someone and then at some point rued the day you first read about them or visa versa?

To me, that character was, strangely enough, Tyrion. He was easily the most readable POV of the first three books, but by ADwD, he's become extremely erratic, bitter, and sometimes completely repugnant. I know that he has a reason to be that way, but his book 5 chapters are difficult for me.

"Where do whores go?"

This had to be one of the big lines of the book, it certainly was for me

It's more often that I start liking a character later than turn on them later.

Sansa's inability to learn at all kind of is annoying in the early books.

Started out liking Renly, and only on a reread did I think he is not that great. Don't hate him, but goddamn, the pride of the Baratheon bros really screwed themselves and the realm.

This!!! I was really rooting for Stannis to win the throne, than he had to go and kill his brother to get to it and all it did was show me he was no better than the other monsters vying for that ugly piece of shit, I have hated Stannis ever since.

Tyrion. I loved him ever since ACOK, then came ADWD and pretty much ruined him as a hero. I turned on him but then I realized something, I'm pretty sure he is going to do a reverse Jaime and go evil villain on us and that is just so damn awesome! I've turned away from hero Tyrion and embarrassed him as a villain. He'd make an amazing villain.

I find that I'm turning against Ned with every re-read or watch of Game of Thrones.... same for all the Starks. They just seem to be standing on their high horse and Ned's every action in King's Landing reeked of passive aggressive superiority.

I thought this thread was "have you ever been turned on by a character" at first :Lol:

Since it's not, Cersei, Dany, Arianne, Tyene and Taena won't be on my list :Lol:

Anyway, my first read I didn't like Arianne and liked Doran, now I really dislike Doran and love Arianne.

I also really dislike Tyrion now. Just about everything he thinks and does regarding women is vile, and his self-pity is painfully dull and annoying to read.

There's a ton of characters (too many to list) that I liked more either as the books went on or on rereads.

I'll second everyone who said Tyrion. Also, Robb I adored at first, but now I'm not such a big fan. He was so stupid towards the end. And this will be an unpopular one, but Arya. I was on the "man, look at this badass little kid" bandwagon, but now I get annoyed by her bratty behavior. I don't hate her, I just don't like her near as much as I used to. She can still be pretty funny, but I feel more sorry for her than anything. Maybe it'll change when I do another reread.

Tyrion is a complete douche in book 5.

Well, to be fair he just learned the truth and lies about Tysha, killed his father, gets stuffed in a wine barrel, nearly drowns, gets kidnapped and then gets rounded up and sold into slavery. He had earned the right to be a douche before COK even ends, let alone the stuff he puts up with in SOS.

Jamie is an easy answer. Once he realizes what a cock he's always been he begins to put things in perspective and grow as a person.

I went from being indifferent or slightly favorable about Catelyn to flat out just not liking her. Yeah, she has her reasons, but she also is as stubborn as they come and tends to not recognize her own mistakes and misgivings.

Archived