Were Rhaegar and Tywin secretly in contact with each other during RR?

mezmerised

I really doubt they were in contact. if Rhaegar had sent a raven tywin would have probably put the scroll in the same place he'd put all of the other requests he'd gotten.

Reasons for Tywin not coming to Rhaegar's cause earlier would probably include:

Rhaegar's married and has an heir

That whole running away with the Warden's daughter and fiance of the Lord of Storms End would make Rhaegar seem at the least a man weak to his emotions and at the worst a reckless lunatic.

Rhaegar's failure to take at an action at an earlier point of the Rebellion wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

Joining the rebels earlier would have been slightly more beneficial for Tywin:

**He could finally get back at Aerys for that "servant" slight, plus for taking away his heir.

Robert was SINGLE and had no heirs.

jaime would have been released from his duties.

he'd get his heir back plus he'd be able to make his daughter a queen.

But he also couldn't openly join the Rebels because:

Jaime was at Aerys side.

Robert was young and he could have easily died as a result of his great valor in Battle.

It wouldn't be wise to bet CR and the Lannister name on two young boys and an old man.

If Rhaegar was in contact with Tywin he probably explained the Lyanna situation to him (at least the short version to make him understand that he hasn't kidnapped and raped the daughter of one High Lord who was betrothed to another) so Tywin would know he is not completely crazy.

And somehow I don't think Tywin would even want to join the rebels. Yes, he absolutely hates Aerys but I think in his heart of hearts he was a bit of a Targ loyalist. I think he had respect for Aegon the Conqueror and the Targ dynasty and how they united the 7Kingdoms. I never got the impression that the Westerlands had the kind of separatist movements like they exist in Dorne, the North or the Iron Islands. I think they like being a strong, important region within the 7Kingdoms instead of going back to the days of the Kingdom of the Rock. And I don't think they ever considered rebelling or having a non-Targ ruler. And that's why I think Tywin would be perfectly fine with supporting the Targs and Rhaegar as long as it was clear that the Mad King's reign was over.

Plus he didn't want to endanger Jaime's life and siding with Robert would give Aerys an excuse to have him killed.

Evan Jaime doesn't matter to Tywin more than the victory, remember what happened with RW when he had made the deal before Jaime's release. Staying out of the war and just join the victors was playing safe and this is what he did.

No it wouldn't. I don't think that he gave a damn about reputation and what Martells thought because he had to ensure his loyalty without loses, if he participated at the war then that would be impossible.

Are you sure about the timeline? Maybe he started plotting while Jaime was still at Riverrun but I think when Tywin ok'ed the RW Jaime was already on the road with Brienne.

But even if he was willing to sacrifice Jaime's life this time around (and that's a big 'if', because what's even the point of Tywin's life/success/power/wealth once he loses his heir and with him the future of his house?) I don't think the same would have applied during RR. 17yo-Jaime was Tywin's golden boy, one of the best, naturally-gifted swordsmen Westeros had ever seen, knighted at 15 by Sir Arthur, etc.. Maybe Tywin didn't love him because he doesn't love anyone, but I'm sure he was proud of him and would have done anything to keep him safe. 30sth-yo-Jaime is more of a disappointment to Tywin (wasting his life away in the KG, generally not living up to his true potential, twincest,..) but still the only heir in Tywin's eyes and therefore important and worth saving.

And I'm sure Tywin is not concerned about the Martells' feelings but many people in Dorne like Oberyn or the Sand Snakes want nothing more than the total destruction of House Lannister and Casterly Rock, so he should probably be concerned about that. And he knew what the Red Viper was like already before he had Elia and her children murdered, so bloody revenge was to be expected. He is lucky that nothing has happened so far but mainly because Prince Doran is the slowest revenge plotter in the history of everything.

Supporting the Targs would not have increased his house's position. If they won, the rift with the MK would probably never have healed. If they lost, they would have lost lands, titles, honors are the hands of KR.

The Tyrells and Martells have fought and lost alongside the Targs. Was it ever mentioned that they lost lands, titles or honors over it?

One typical procedure in Westeros after losing a war is to hand over children as wards/hostages to the winning side to insure future loyalty but all the Tyrell and Martell kids grew up with their own families

I don't think there were any punishments or repercussions for people who fought for the Targs (as all the Great Houses were legally supposed to do anyway since they had sworn fealty to Aerys) at least nothing major, as long as they bent the knee for King Robert after the war was over.

Archived