King Robert Baratheon, an underrated king?

Not really, since innocent is merely a legal status and with the King being the ruler he could merely declare those whom he burnt to be guilty.

But we know they weren't, all Rickard Stark did was come south to answer for the "crimes" of his son, Aerys roasted him alive. Since when is tyranny better than excess spending? Aerys was a worse king than Robert and anyone who argues otherwise is just doing so to argue.

But we know they weren't, all Rickard Stark did was come south to answer for the "crimes" of his son, Aerys roasted him alive. Since when is tyranny better than excess spending? Aerys was a worse king than Robert and anyone who argues otherwise is just doing so to argue.

How does that change the fact that for most of his reign the realm was peacefully and not in debt, compared to Robert where the realm was peaceful up until the end of his reign and was drowning in debt ?

How does that change the fact that for most of his reign the realm was peacefully and not in debt, compared to Robert where the realm was peaceful up until the end of his reign and was drowning in debt ?

No thanks to Aerys, he let Tywin Lannister run the realm which was his great achievement but he managed to screw that up too by alienating and insulting Tywin until he finally resigned.

No thanks to Aerys, he let Tywin Lannister run the realm which was his great achievement but he managed to screw that up too by alienating and insulting Tywin until he finally resigned.

So if the credit goes to Hand, than all of Aerys' and Robert's failures must also be blamed on the hand, effectively making both Aerys and Robert equal.

So if the credit goes to Hand, than all of Aerys' and Robert's failures must also be blamed on the hand, effectively making both Aerys and Robert equal.

Do you honestly think Aerys Hand could of talked him out of executing the Starks' and their companions? Aerys and Robert let their hands do the ruling while they did what they wanted, Robert wanted to drink, whore, and watch tourneys, Aerys wanted to watch people burn alive.

Robert's failure was that he was a poor administrator, letting others make decisions in his place while he had too much fun being king.

Aerys's failure was that he was a mad nutjob who enjoyed burning people alive and ultimately wanted to raze King's Landing out of spite.

I don't think King Bob was amazing at all, but compared to Aerys he's friggin Aragorn.

Where did I argue Aerys was worse than Robert, I merely stated the Mad King was more fiscally competant than Robert. What does that say about a King who was more fiscally incompetant than the Mad King ?

Robert's failure was that he was a poor administrator, letting others make decisions in his place while he had too much fun being king.

Aerys's failure was that he was a mad nutjob who enjoyed burning people alive and ultimately wanted to raze King's Landing out of spite.

I don't think King Bob was amazing at all, but compared to Aerys he's friggin Aragorn.

Sure Aerys burned a few nobles, but under Robert reign he let his small council assassinate those the SC members despised.

Where did I argue Aerys was worse than Robert, I merely stated the Mad King was more fiscally competant than Robert. What does that say about a King who was more fiscally incompetant than the Mad King ?

Just a few posts ago you said they were effectively equals.

If you don't think Aerys is worse than Robert then why do you continue to argue with people who do?

I don't, I stated they were equals under the criteria that the credit/blame be placed on the Hand. I don't subscribe to such a motion personally though. So I do think Aerys is ever so slightly better than Robert.

I don't, I stated they were equals under the criteria that the credit/blame be placed on the Hand. I don't subscribe to such a motion personally though. So I do think Aerys is ever so slightly better than Robert.

So running the realm into debt is worse than burning people alive and instigating probably the largest rebellion in Westeros history?

So running the realm into debt is worse than burning people alive and instigating probably the largest rebellion in Westeros history?

Aerys burned a few nobles. By contrast LF and the Lannisters (who Robert welcomed into the royal fold) killed a few nobles too. Aerys's and Robert reign ended with a mass civil war (through action and inaction).

Archived