March Reads

mashiara

Started The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd today, and am flying through it. An interesting, haunting tale of slavery in South Carolina, told through the eyes of the daughter of a wealthy white family, and the black slave girl she is "given" on her 11th birthday. I both love and hate novels such as these, because of the emotions they stir up. I'm struggling to put this one down.

Yeah, that battle was in book two. I liked the Ketty Jay books much more, just the humour offset the violence and i had a blast reading them.

I agree, but I still really enjoyed The Braided Path. Especially as a whole (i.e. the last book was my favorite ;))

It's been awhile since I posted in this thread about what I am actually reading, so here goes:

Finished Woken Furies by Richard Morgan several weeks ago. It took me way too long to read this book. It wasn't because the book was bad, I just didn't have a lot of time to devote to reading. However that still seems to color my perception of the book, because I can't tell if the first 3/4 dragged me down or if I wasn't picking up the book because I was tired from work. I really did enjoy the final 1/4 though, and I am disappointed that there is not any more Takeshi Kovacs for me to read, especially with there being so many unanswered questions. In the series I do think that Broken Angels was my favorite.

After that I flew through By Blood We Live by Glen Duncan. Phenomenal book and fantastic finish to the trilogy. The big change in this book relative to the first two, is the number of POVs. The first two books were, virtually, just one POV each, in this book we get Tallula, Remshi (20,000 year old vampire), Justine (just turned vampire), and a bit of Walker. Once again I was extremely impressed by Duncan's command of different characters' individual voice. Remshi is fantastic as a POV (especially when compared to Jake), but I think the real star was Justine as Duncan got into the mind of a freshly turned killing machine (not to discount Tallula's perspective as a once of month murderer). I love how much more we learn about the history between vamps and werewolves, but there were a couple of more things I would have liked to have explained

why exactly Tallula gained the immunity to silver and if she will be able to share it, how Militi Christi was able to compel Remshi in the beginning, why the stone had the power to remove the curse...

but I can't complain, because I don't really want all of my supernatural explained. Definitely the best urban fantasy series I've ever read - maybe not my favorite overall, but that's a different discussion.

Then I read Empress of the Sun by Ian McDonald. It was definitely a solid novel within the series, and I loved how different this book's alternate reality was, but McDonald being only under contract for three books and the way this book ended really pisses me off. I mean, fuck. Enormous ramifications, and no resolution of the plots began in book one. If he puts out more books I'll probably change my opinion, but right now I can't recommend this series.

And now I'm reading And Blue Skies From Pain by Stina Leicht. I'm about 40% through, and so far there's certainly no blue skies, just pain. Poor Liam. It's fantastic so far, although not a happy book (nor was the first).

After the fumble that was Words of Radiance, it's nice to read quality prose (plot/characterization/dialogue.......everything).

I really thought that metaphor was going to go all the way... :leaving:

Just finished The Republic of Thieves, which I thought dragged on a lot longer than Lynch's earlier, punchier works. Still a solid series unfolding though.

Also read The Velvet Rage, which is pretty much essential reading for gay men or anyone with an interest in the challenges faced by gay men growing up. Good stuff.

Finished The Invention of Wings last night. I was very impressed by it, a fantastic novel. Gave it 5 stars on Goodreads.

Woke up too early this morning (bastard sleeping pattern!) so I started Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly. As I've said before, I don't tend to like novels set in modern times, but this is pretty good so far.

I finished In Full Bloom last night. This turned out to be a really good book. It was one of the better presentations of what it's like to be the child of immigrants in the USA I've ever read. One also learns a lot about working for a fashion magazine. The characters were multifaceted and the humor grew naturally out of their lives. Plus the author was bold enough NOT to have a stereotypical "everybody is completely happy" ending. I suppose some people might think of this as "chick lit", but if so it's one of the better books written in that genre.

http://carolinehwang.com/author.html

I have now just started Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I've just read the first chapter -- well written but I already really dislike the future world he created for the book. We'll see if my opinion changes later on.

I have now just started Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I've just read the first chapter -- well written but I already really dislike the future world he created for the book. We'll see if my opinion changes later on.

I fucking hated this book. Katana wielding pizza delivery guy (who went to college for that)? The slang is like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and the future he envisions is ludicrous/absurd. Quit now. Don't waste your time with this fucking drivel.

Having a good month here, kinda surprised at how much I have gotten read.

Midnight Riot (Rivers of London) by Ben Aaronovith - Cheated on this one, listened to it while driving. Enjoyed it, mostly on Peter Grant's voice. Kinda confusing plot, but mostly rose above that. I will read the next one.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisen - Kinda dreamlike, I dug it quite a bit. Enslaved god's looking for an out. Strange title choice, makes it sound like an epic fantasy of sprawling empires, instead it was a very focused tale taking place almost entirely within one city.

Hogfather by Pratchett - Took me three months to read. Seriously slowed my reread of the whole series. I know it is a favorite of many, but I just didn't enjoy it all that much.

Now reading The Goblin Emperor and so far it is very good. After that I will finally get to read Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding, because it is finally out in the US!

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisen - Kinda dreamlike, I dug it quite a bit. Enslaved god's looking for an out. Strange title choice, makes it sound like an epic fantasy of sprawling empires, instead it was a very focused tale taking place almost entirely within one city.

I seem to remember reading that the original title (or maybe it was an alternative title) was The Sky God's Lover, which does fit the book a bit better, although it's a title that could have put some potential readers off.

I've been reading the Edda of Burdens, one of the earlier series by Elizabeth Bear, who's getting some attention for her Eternal Sky trilogy. It's fucking awesome. Post-apocalyptic (specifically, post- two Ragnaroks), dying Earth, Norse mythology cyberpunk new weird...

Since I couldn't decide what to read - this month I've been re-reading some things. Currently wading through aCoK, and William S Burroughs' Naked Lunch. It's been a few years since I read the latter - but suffice to say that its depravity is much like I remember. Torn between The Changeling by Kenzebaro Oe and A Maggot by John Fowles for my next book after this.

I finished reading Per Anders Fogelström's City of My Dreams yesterday, the first in a series of novels chronicling the lives of successive generations of people in Stockholm. I really enjoyed reading this novel, which covered the years 1860-1880, and following the main character Henning (although he seemed like a bit of a Mary Sue a couple of times).

Tairy fans, too, I'd think...keep us updated on that one, it seems to be quite popular at the moment.

Well,finally finished The Barrow by Mark Smylie and can't say my opinion changed from what i mentioned before.

In short,it basically turned into a straight up fantasy quest where our group of rogues have to go from point A to B to find a magical talisman (in this case a sword). Huuuge amounts of info-dumping that kills the momentum of the story,almost non-existent characterization ,lack of characters to root for (i didn't feel anything for even a single one) . I basically forced myself to finish this.

I was looking for a complex ,multi-layered story,that's what the blurbs and advance reviews promised :rolleyes: ,unfortunately that's not what i got.

Best goodreads comment : But hey, if you want a graphic and detailed description of a prostitute getting fucked by an evil priestess with a giant dildo made of unicorn horn this might be the book you've been waiting for.

:P

At the moment,i'm reading The Copper Promise by Jen Williams and am liking this a lot more (so far) .

Archived