(Spoiler) Darkstar's allegiance

Qwynne

First post here, just finished reading ADWD and getting truly sucked into this wonderful universe...however, looking back at things I couldn't really remember from AFFC, I'm struggling to comprehend the whole Darkstar attacking Myrcella / Arianne / Areo Hotah story....

The Wiki states:

"Ser Gerold allied himself with Arianne Martell when she attempted to crown Myrcella Baratheon as a new Queen of Westeros. She admits to her other companions that she only included him for his fighting prowess and his keep. During their travels, they were surprised by Areo Hotah, who ordered them to surrender. While Ser Arys Oakheart rode to his death, Ser Gerold attempted to either maim or kill Princess Myrcella. He escaped capture."

So,
he allied himself with her, but when Oakheart got killed to protect M + A, Darkstar (seemingly on Arianne's side) ATTACKS Myrcella? Have I missed something? Or is this just in fact a complete surprise/backstab that hasn't been explained yet?

why did Darkstar attack Myrcella...?

First post has to be a n00b post, but if anyone can clear this up with a few sentences, that would be great.

Darkstar remains a mystery at this point, Im pretty sure thay is the intention since as you can tell by the lack of post there is no answer to the question, only theories, maybe the dude is just mad, I hope we get to find out. Doran is behind it the man is a snake in the grass..the text even says that, well Oberyn is the snake and Doran is the grass that hides him. So who replaces Oberyn?Not Areo..to obvious..it was Darkstar.

Well I think it's simpler. He was on Arianne's side, though with a different opinion, and when it seemed they would lose the chance to crown Myrcella, Darkstar's way was the only way to have war break out in Dorne, and hooray, it was his preferred way all along! He then fled because he attacked Cersei's daughter, the heir presumptive to the Iron Throne, and Doran's protegee all in one swing. I would do the same.

A couple of theories about that incident.

-Could be Doran's plan all along, and Darkstar is both the insider/spy and the scapegoat.
-Darkstar's blade is poisoned and Myrcella dies slowly and discreetly (which would fullfill the Maggy/Cersei prophecy).
-It was Darkstar's intention to maim/scar Myrcella, in order to be able to distinguish her from her cousin next time he or someone else plans her murder.

I'm sure it'll be fully explained in the next books.

• 3 weeks later...

The book clearly states that there are many in Dorne who want to slaughter Myrcella as revenge for Elia and her children (& for Oberyn too) and to provoke a war for independence...or at least to overthrow the Lannisters. Darkstar even said so to Arianne in the desert. But I don't think he would say it if that was his true intention all along. More likely he tried to kill her when he saw that Arianne's plan was foiled. So he may not have been Arianne's betrayer after all. And it seems clear he did mean to kill her, but her horse shied away at the last minute so the sword only grazed her (but still took off a chuck of her face). We shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

The whole point of crowning Myrcella was to start war with the Lannisters and get revenge for Elia and her children. When Darkstart saw that there plan was foiled, I think he decided that he would go with plan B and kill Myrcella, which would mean the same outcome (war with the Lannisters). It was probably the better plan because that would mean that the Lannisters would HAVE to come to Dorne instead of waiting for Dorne to come to them, and that would have given the Dornish a fighting chance.

Archived