Is anyone else really looking forward to Stannis vs. Roose?

GarthKITN

I know neither has the largest available force in the realm, but the prospect of seeing them clash is really cool to me. The angle I find most interesting is that for the entire series Roose Bolton has been one of the most ruthless and brutal characters in the books. So many of the cleaner good guys can't really match Roose in that regard. But with Stannis, it's a different feeling. I honestly believe that at his core, Stannis Baratheon is a good man. He's deeply flawed, but for the most part I believe him to be just and fair. I have no doubt whatsoever though, that when it comes down to it, Stannis would have absolutely zero mercy for an enemy. That set up to his fight with Roose makes things pretty awesome.

I'm looking forward to hearing the conversation between them as Stannis has Roose brought in by his guards, kind of like what he did with the Karstarks. They both have a ruthless wit about them so the conversation would be intense, but Stannis has got to be the one in control, and I want him to verbally knock Roose down a few steps before sending him away to await his execution.

This is the foremost battle I am excited for in TWOW. I agree with you, GarthKITN about Stannis's sense of absolute justice giving him the upper hand, as he has a sincere and concrete motive for going after Bolton. I can foresee Roose coming up with a scheme to win but still being defeated by Stannis's sheer willpower. The tension caused by the dissention of Bolten and the other lords isn't to be forgotten, either. I think if Stannis doesn't finish his forces off, the other Northern lords will help to do their duty.

No, I don't want Roose being killed by a man who benefits from Robb's death (and wanted it). Again, the Starks (and loyal Northerners) miss out on their revenge.

However, interaction between the pair would be interesting...just not ending in Stannis killing Roose.

He might turn the tables on us.

What if Roose bent the knee?

Stannis may accept him or may accept him and punish him at the same time.

But then Roose is in the camp...what then?

:)

If Roose bent the knee then he would die on his knee, that would be the only change. Stannis is just going to accept someone who violated guest rights? I think not.

I can't wait. We have two of the most ruthless and unforgiving characters in a massive tumultuous situation with a crazy amount of twists and turns (pink letter), Theon, the ice and Mance. It should be great.

Also it will be interesting to see if Manderley survives being turned into ham by Hosteen.

This is my most anticipated moment in TWOW besides the reveal of Jon's fate. The dialogue would be so intense, filled with dry wit. The battle could go either way but Roose lacks the sheer will and determination that Stannis has, so I think that favors Stan. I'm so pumped for this scene because these are two amazing characters.

No, I don't want Roose being killed by a man who benefits from Robb's death (and wanted it). Again, the Starks (and loyal Northerners) miss out on their revenge.

However, interaction between the pair would be interesting...just not ending in Stannis killing Roose.

The only truly satisfying end to Roose Bolton or Walder Frey for me is Jon taking Robb's revenge (I don't get anything positive out of Arya getting darker and darker). As that is very much in question right now with Jon getting stabbed, it appears somewhat unlikely (although his call to arms of the Night's Watch is one of my favorite moments in the series). With that in mind, I think the character interaction between them would be incredible. If Roose or Ramsey fall in that, I'm more than happy seeing Robb's killer die. Even if it is Stannis (ideally, I'd love to see Stannis get Ramsey, and Jon to ultimately finish Roose).

He might turn the tables on us.

What if Roose bent the knee?

Stannis may accept him or may accept him and punish him at the same time.

Stannis could never accept Roose into his camp without losing his entire Northern support base.

Archived