The Walking Dead season 4 ( NO COMIC SPOILERS)

King Bob's Warhammer

Let's continue.

I enjoyed the episode with Daryl and Beth but my wife thought it was :thumbsdown:

I did like to see a bit character development, particularly the fact that Daryl is still grieving the loss of Sophia and feeling responsible for her death.

I guess some really bad shit occurred at the Golf Club!

I appreciated the slow character-driven pace of this episode, but I sometimes felt some scenes and lines were a tad bit over-acted. Daryl and Beth weren't characters I particularly liked before, but now I somewhat don't mind them. I'm glad the show isn't afraid to show a fan favourite like Daryl acting like a dick, but some of his lines to Beth were really harsh and uncalled for, like the suicide cry for help line. The poor girl has gone through a lot, and while Daryl has as well (killing your own brother is arguably worse than seeing your father die, though both are terrible), I feel he should have been more supportive and kind to Beth at the start of the episode. After all this I honestly don't blame her for wanting a drink. If it was me with Beth I'd be like "hell yeah let's go and get wasted and have grief-sex." (Not weird, I'm like a year younger than Beth is meant to be in the show).

Overall, yeah, good episode. I liked the slower, angsty pace, but I can understand why others wouldn't. Any episode without Carl and Michonne is a good one to me though :dunno:

The poor girl has gone through a lot, and while Daryl has as well (killing your own brother is arguably worse than seeing your father die, though both are terrible)

Technically Daryl killed Walker Merle who was already dead, so I think Beth witnessing her father get decapitated was worse.

Not a stellar episode, but better than most. It had no Carl in it which helps a great deal. I was feeling quite down though, Beth and Daryl reminded me to much of Merle and Hershel, who were the best characters on this show and criminally underused.

I thought Darth/Bethyl was so going to happen this episode. When they started playing that drinking game I was sure that Beth would make her move. I'm glad she didn't angry drunk Daryl was more interesting.

Also in the previous thread someone said that Daryl took all the gum instead of money?

Did they mean chewing gum?

That's what they said on Talking Dead. Norman was saying the edited out the scene where he puts a huge wad of gum in his mouth. But you see him next scene chewing it. I think he nabbed it from the bowl by the register.

Daryl was being a dick because he felt guilty. Now that it's out in the open and Beth pretty much said it's all good I think their bond will only get closer.

I think I'm with Koba in the Daryl is protector thought. I know they keep teasing the clip of them at the tomb stone holding hands but I think they will just become very close and not romantic. I hope. I have a feeling Beth isn't long for the world :(

That's what they said on Talking Dead. Norman was saying the edited out the scene where he puts a huge wad of gum in his mouth. But you see him next scene chewing it. I think he nabbed it from the bowl by the register.

Oh, right thanks. I was wondering if I had missed that.

I was kind of bored with this episode. It's starting to all just seem like filler until they have the big reveal about If You Arrive You Survive Town. I mean yeah, character development. Daryl is a mean drunk. Family issues. Personal issues. But still, boring. I was more interested by the golf club setting. About the three people who hung themselves all together. Their story seemed more interesting, I wanted to know more about them.

And it's never a good sign when the setting is more interesting than the plot or the characters. Walking Dead seems to suffer from this right from the get-go of being set in post-apocalypse America. Then there was the campground, Atlanta, the bus, the farm, Pleasantville (or whatever it was called), the prison... just one set piece to another, and inevitably it gets too boring to stay at, because in the end the plots and characters are kind of boring and really what the show is about, what it's always been about, is the zombies.

And that's not a good sign either. When the intentionally brain-dead antagonists are more interesting than the unintentionally brain-dead protagonists.

I still watch, cuz I want to see the walkers ultimately triumph over humanity.

I was more interested by the golf club setting. About the three people who hung themselves all together. Their story seemed more interesting, I wanted to know more about them..

Actually, they revealed on Talking Dead that those people were patrons of the country club that were hung by the workers in a class struggle type situation.

That's what the scene with the lady with the "rich bich" sign was about as well.

Oh, okay. Well, I didn't stick around for Talking Dead. Beside, hearing about the background of those scenes isn't quite the same as watching it as a narrative. Class struggle in a zombie apocalypse sounds like it'd be an awesome theme for a movie or show if done right. (Land of the Dead, alas, did not do this right.)

So how many people are left in Georgia at this point? What did they say the initial survival rate was? .05% or something?

So out of Georgia's 10 million people that leaves about 50k alive, is that about right?

That's still a heck of a lot of people.

And let's say each of these 50k killed 10 zombies since the outbreak started, that leaves a massive 9.5 million zombies roaming the same countryside.

Assume that the zombie death rate was very high initially, when the army was still fighting back, and that half the zombies were killed before the army was overrun, that still leaves around 4 million zombies out there.

With ammo running low..

I'm glad the show isn't afraid to show a fan favourite like Daryl acting like a dick, but some of his lines to Beth were really harsh and uncalled for, like the suicide cry for help line. The poor girl has gone through a lot, and while Daryl has as well (killing your own brother is arguably worse than seeing your father die, though both are terrible), I feel he should have been more supportive and kind to Beth at the start of the episode. After all this I honestly don't blame her for wanting a drink. If it was me with Beth I'd be like "hell yeah let's go and get wasted and have grief-sex." (Not weird, I'm like a year younger than Beth is meant to be in the show).

I don't think he was mean to Beth because he's been trough a lot and it was getting to him...it was a part of the reason for sure...but I think it was the fact she said he was in prison that ticked him off. The whole episode is about Daryl finally stop seeing himself as not good enough for anything and/or anybody. His whole life he was told he's not good enough,he was treated like he wasn't good enough,by his family and by rest of the world. He was basically told he's trash and all he'll ever be and all people will ever see in him is trash...Then apocalypse happened and suddenly he's respected,needed,liked,useful...and I bet all he can still think about is...they only think that cause they don't know me...I'm not good enough...I bet after a while he shyly dared to think of himself in a good light......and after all the protection and good stuff he did the thing she thinks about him is that he's jail material...after all that, he's still just trash in people's eyes...people he cared about...that is imho what prompted the outburst...so you think I'm trash...well I can be trash...if there's one thing I know how to be that's trash...I'll be mean an I'll piss in front of you and I'll say everything that I know will hurt you cause you hurt me (he probably enjoyed every time Beth was singing and he probably understood her suicide attempt and now it burned him that he let himself like it) . Was it ok.Hell no.Was it expected from someone with his emotional maturity...of course. But Beth just saw right trough him. Not once she said anything about his suicide comments...she knew it's not about what he's saying it was all about what he wasn't saying. Hell she is (again imho) more mature than Daryl.

I think I'm with Koba in the Daryl is protector thought. I know they keep teasing the clip of them at the tomb stone holding hands but I think they will just become very close and not romantic. I hope. I have a feeling Beth isn't long for the world :(

Well....to be fair...I wouldn't mind them getting together,nor I have any problem with it :dunno: I just think he's in protector role cause it's the vibe I get from the show. Even with Carol it was more like that and we never got anything more...few comments,few looks and not even a decent drinking game. This show does not do big romance. It's just not their MO. Glenn and Maggie are all fine but they started just like one pharmacy day stand and only cause he was only one her age available at the moment and it later turned into something more. They might play with the idea but I think it would make their favorite motive "constant danger of zombiapocalypse" fade into second plan if they keep going at it too intensely so they just don't go in that direction at all. The only thing why I would condemn this "relationship" is the fact that Beth even though I love her doesn't seem to be one of the character who'll last long,and I would hate to see Daryl loose her.

So out of Georgia's 10 million people that leaves about 50k alive, is that about right?

I'd say more than 10 million. Rick, Shane, Lori and Carl are originally from Kentucky (unless they changed it in the show) so the army/national guard/government had people from other states traveling to Atlanta as a hub of safety. There's not just the Georgia residents roaming around but all the refugees who flocked to the city when the outbreak started.

So how many people are left in Georgia at this point? What did they say the initial survival rate was? .05% or something?

That's still a heck of a lot of people.

And let's say each of these 50k killed 10 zombies since the outbreak started, that leaves a massive 9.5 million zombies roaming the same countryside.

Assume that the zombie death rate was very high initially, when the army was still fighting back, and that half the zombies were killed before the army was overrun, that still leaves around 4 million zombies out there.

With ammo running low..

I'd guess that a pretty large amount of those 50k died themselves within the first year. There's far more dangerous things than zombies. I don't know much about Georgia so at a guess i'd say the winters are pretty mild so you wouldn't get the first winter cull, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's down to half the intial population.

On the plus side the less people there are the more ammo/tinned food thats stashed somewhere.

My question is where are all the animals, seen no deer, one horse, no dogs, cows, cats. I wouldn't rate zombies chances of catching anything but sleeping people, let alone wildlife.

I'd guess that a pretty large amount of those 50k died themselves within the first year. There's far more dangerous things than zombies. I don't know much about Georgia so at a guess i'd say the winters are pretty mild so you wouldn't get the first winter cull, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's down to half the intial population.

There are also those who couldn't get to their medication because of the apocalypse...diabetics...people with hart condition etc...

I was kind of bored with this episode. It's starting to all just seem like filler until they have the big reveal about If You Arrive You Survive Town. I mean yeah, character development. Daryl is a mean drunk. Family issues. Personal issues. But still, boring. I was more interested by the golf club setting. About the three people who hung themselves all together. Their story seemed more interesting, I wanted to know more about them.

And it's never a good sign when the setting is more interesting than the plot or the characters. Walking Dead seems to suffer from this right from the get-go of being set in post-apocalypse America. Then there was the campground, Atlanta, the bus, the farm, Pleasantville (or whatever it was called), the prison... just one set piece to another, and inevitably it gets too boring to stay at, because in the end the plots and characters are kind of boring and really what the show is about, what it's always been about, is the zombies.

And that's not a good sign either. When the intentionally brain-dead antagonists are more interesting than the unintentionally brain-dead protagonists.

I still watch, cuz I want to see the walkers ultimately triumph over humanity.

100% agree

I just keep on watching because I want to see Carl die. I know i shouldn't hope, but you never know.

We live in hope, maybe the actor will hit a growth spurt and no longer be able to play a 12 year old or whatever he is, similar to what's happening with Bran in GoT. Or maybe advance the story a few years so they could recast him. But turning him into zombie feed would be preferable.

Archived