So, who's definitely gonna die in The Winds of Winter?

LooseyRoosey

If the loose plot threads of Dance are anything to go by, The Winds of Winter is going to be a bloodbath, culling characters and cleaning up the plot before the wrapup in book 7. We all have our maybes about who will and won't make it to the end of book 6, but everyone has a few characters who they know as a fact are getting axed very soon. Whose death are you absolutely certain about?

-I have no hope for Barristan. He's been riding the "one last job" trope since A Clash of Kings. His participation in one of the series biggest battles seems to be the best exit he can get.

-I don't see how Jaime can make it either, there really aren't many people in the Seven Kingdoms that don't want him dead. Whether he gets whacked by Lady Stoneheart or goes the way of Romeo with Cersei, I don't think there's a clean escape for the Kingslayer.

-Victarion is a goner by the end of Winds'. If that armor-on-ships gimmick and his constant muttering of "Euron's gifts are poisoned" aren't foreshadowing, I don't know what is.

-This is cheating since she's probably already dead, but Melisandre's last moments will be spent with her ruby glamor being undone and revealing her true, ghastly form. I would bet a thousand gold dragons on that. UnMel for the win.

- Obviously, Jojen, Cersei & the Lannister kids' ends are nigh since their deaths are explicitly named by prophecy.

I Margaery's self interest and preservation instinct (i think she's incredibly clever) will keep her alive unless she starts to show otherwise. Or at the least, Margaery outlives Cersei.

I can see Sansa turning on LF though

absolutely. I hardly doubt that Sansa will go along with another arranged marriage. She is fed up with it. And I hope (I am not so sure about it) that she will protect sweetrobin from, there is a possibility he will die (I hope not :(), and go all Mother Wolf on Littlefinger for threatening her pup (she had essentially adopted sweetrobin).

Assuming GRRM stays true to his word on cutting down on the POVs, I think we will see numerous "minor" POV characters killed off. The most effective way to cut down on the POVs is to kill them off. Giving them POVs and then never returning to those characters would just be awkward.

These are the minor characters with POV chapters that I can remember off the top of my head. I can see all of them dying in one way or another. Maybe Asha lives.

Areo

Doran

Jon Con

Vic

Baristan

Damphair (please, his chapters suck, have Euron kill him off already)

Asha

Non POVs on the chopping block

Tommen

Myrcella

Countless Essos characters

Ramsey/Roose

Stannis (I hope not)

Jorah (maybe)

Daario (please)

Lots of Freys

These are the minor characters with POV chapters that I can remember off the top of my head. I can see all of them dying in one way or another. Maybe Asha lives.

Doran

Doran doesn't have a PoV, but I agree that his days are numbered. I think the news of Quentyn's death will be too much for him.

Edit: Ramsay, hopefully. It's possible Roose will not stay for book 7 either. I imagine GRRM will want some plots done with when the big showdown occurs.

Possibly Theon too. He's barely hanging in there...

Archived