World of Ice and Fire App Update

Just collect and note stuff you consider mistakes in the App. I'll mark the stuff when I work on the translations, and the stuff may be eventually corrected in the English version as well. I will read the whole thing through (they say about 450 manuscript pages in the first version - I don't know how much text has been added in the recent updates) when working on the translation, and should catch outright mistakes easily enough, but a little help is always welcome (if anyone is reading himself through the whole thing).

[i got a test version of one of the earlier version some weeks ago, but was not exactly eager to read through the thing on the little screen.]

On the love match stuff: Barristan already claimed that all three sons of Aegon V married for love (would not be surprised if that extended to his daughters as well), and we don't yet know whether Olenna's Targaryen prince was a son of Aegon V. It could have been Aerion's son.

Just collect and note stuff you consider mistakes in the App. I'll mark the stuff when I work on the translations, and the stuff may be eventually corrected in the English version as well. I will read the whole thing through (they say about 450 manuscript pages in the first version - I don't know how much text has been added in the recent updates) when working on the translation, and should catch outright mistakes easily enough, but a little help is always welcome (if anyone is reading himself through the whole thing).

[i got a test version of one of the earlier version some weeks ago, but was not exactly eager to read through the thing on the little screen.]

On the love match stuff: Barristan already claimed that all three sons of Aegon V married for love (would not be surprised if that extended to his daughters as well), and we don't yet know whether Olenna's Targaryen prince was a son of Aegon V. It could have been Aerion's son.

Guess I should've looked back. I thought we knew 2 of them did and weren't sure about the 3rd. I think the confirmation that all three broke betrothals to have their love-marriages is new though. That was strongly hinted at, but never said straight-forwardly like that.

Definitely doesn't automatically make Olenna a liar then, it could be Aerion's son indeed.

Guess I should've looked back. I thought we knew 2 of them did and weren't sure about the 3rd. I think the confirmation that all three broke betrothals to have their love-marriages is new though. That was strongly hinted at, but never said straight-forwardly like that.

Definitely doesn't automatically make Olenna a liar then, it could be Aerion's son indeed.

They they were all three betrothed before and broke those betrothals is indeed new information. :)

Noticed that Baelor I Targaryen's mother, and wife of Aegon III, is named as Daenaera Velaryon. Is this right? I thought the Velaryon bride of Aegon III had been scrapped. Is this just an old bit of info that's found it's way through? If this is correct, where does she fit into the Velaryon family, as at the end of tPatQ there were only two left - an old man, Corlys, and Alyn Oakenfist, who was around 15/16 years old....

It would be interesting indeed to know who the mother of this Daenaera Velaryon was. Did Corlys have any living cousins? Was Alyn of Hull already married and/or a father during the Dance? Considering the age of both him and Addam this would be exceptional, but not outright impossible. Any child born after the Dance by either Corlys (if he survived the ordeal he went through) or Alyn would have most likely be too young to give birth to the children of Aegon III at the appropriate time...

If Daenaera is Alyn's daughter, that would make Elaena his granddaughter...

In Beric Dondarrion's entry, it mentions that Lyle 'Strongboar' Crakehall was one of those that claimed to have killed him. It is meant to be Burton Crakehall, his uncle, who hanged Beric before being killed in turn.

That would not be unheard of in incest-marriage societies. I remember reading an scientific article a few years on genetic done on the mummies of 18th dynasty of Egypt (the one including Akhenaten/Echnaton and Tutankhamun) confirmed that the Ptolemaic dynasty later on did not make a mistake when interpreting the incest-marriage thing literally. The Pharaohs did not marry their sisters, daughters, or granddaughters symbolically, they married them very literally. And produced literal children with them...

So I'd not be surprised - and am rather still irritated - that the grandfather-granddaughter thing apparently did not happen more often among the Targaryens. It seems as if Rhaenyra-Daemon are the only niece-uncle match beside the, not yet officially confirmed match between Maegor and a daughter of Aenys I.

You guys are really great. I'll soon receive the full text, and should have plenty of time to make notes to correct the English version. All we have to do is cross fingers that the stuff will be edited in when another update is due.

Though I strongly doubt that Daenaera was the daughter of Alyn, I do think it is possible that Corlys arranged weddings for both Addam and Alyn upon their legitimizing. Especially important during war times, when everyone chances of dying are extremely enhanced. Addam could gave fathered a child before he died, and such a girl would not only be a Velaryon, but also she would pass the age limit for being able to marry Aegon and be the mother of Daeron and co.

The only other possibility is that Corlys had a younger brother who had died not long ago, leaving behind only a daughter around the age of 2 or 3 or thereabouts. That would align with Corlys needing heirs during the Dance, and it would make the girl of the right age.

The Velaryon family tree is starting to become of more importance, it seems, at least at the start of the Targaryen dynasty.

Members of the family appear to have played a significant role in the history of Westeros from the Velaryon who was Master of Ships to Aegon the Conqueror all the way through to at least the start of the reign of Aegon III. Hoping we will have more information in the World book.....?

And with the name of Aegon III's wife, the three Velaryon brides for Targaryen princes have been identified fully

- wife of Aegon IIi, Daenaera Velaryon

- wife of Aenys I, Alyssa Velaryon

- wife of Aerion (father of Aegon the Conq), Velena Velaryon.

And it is worth noting that Daenaera is NOT listed as the mother of Daeron I, but only as mother of Baelor I.

Though when Daenaera married Aegon III he was already King, which may preclude him from the 'prince' title - so there may be another one....

This was exactly what I was thinking. Just as Velena Velaryon doesn't count since she was married to lord Aerion, and not prince Aerion, I don't think Aegon III counts, as Davos stated princes specifically, and Aegon would have been king for several years before marrying her.

Archived