World of Ice and Fire App Update

A question for Ran:

The "New Info" symbol that appears on the entries and disappears when you read the entry. Was this new to the last big update in the Spring?

I don't remember it as a feature before the update so I'm wondering when the next update comes along will it wipe all my reading progress? I just remember I had to go through every entry again just to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Some things for the next update:

"Iron Fleet": this entry mentions the Fevre River, but this should instead link to the Fever River.

"Dragons": this entry mentions the old gods of Valyria, but unnecessarily has a link to the old gods (of the north).

"Darry": the map places Darry's location as north of Lord Harroway's Town, where a tributary meets the Green Fork. This would support the idea of the Darrys having a rivalry with the Freys (as suggested by the Elder Brother) and would imply the tributary is the Darry river (which is mentioned by Arya in ASOS). However, Castle Darry is south of the Trident ("The castle was a modest holding a half day's ride south of the Trident" in AGOT-16 and "The Freys are up here at the Twins, Darry and Harrenhal are south across the Trident" in AFFC-25).

The Hornwood entry claims that Lord Manderly is courting the widowed Donella. From the text in the books, this doesn't appear to have been the case.

Lord Wyman brought up the idea of marrying her to Ser Rodrik/Maester Luwin/Bran, saying something to the effect of "she was born Manderly, perhaps she'd like to rejoin the family".

She herself brings it up herself when speaking to those three (she was against the idea).

Of course, technically he's not courting a corpse, so that should be past tense. :)

That's why they are so famous: time travel.

Ulmer is bitter that Marty of House McFly didn't take him along.

I'm picturing Alliser Thorne as Mr Strickland now....

The Redfort entry claims Mychel Redfort is Horton's heir but he is actually his youngest son.

In the Stonehelm entry, it says that the current lord is Clifford Swann (as per Dance's appendix) and that his sons are Donnel and Balon. Whatever happened to Gulian Swann and his sons; Donnel and Balon?

That's why they are so famous: time travel.

Ulmer is bitter that Marty of House McFly didn't take him along.

I'm picturing Alliser Thorne as Mr Strickland now....

And I'm getting a mental image of Gregor Clegan as "Biff".

But the real question is who is portraying Dr. Emmett Brown? My shoot from the hip answer is none other than Bryden Rivers (a.k.a. Bloodraven)!

Besides; who else has access to time travel......maybe not physical, but certainly mental.

I love the new app update (iPad)...especially the new categories (Creatures, Religions, etc.)...but I have a questions.

In the Things category...how can the Iron Throne not be listed? Yes it's obvious on what it is but wouldn't that still be something that should be listed?

I was trying to explain it to my mother-in-law the other night after she saw an English Bulldog in a chair with bones sticking out everywhere (Lone Star English Bulldog Rescue Halloween Party) with an English Bulldog dressed with a platinum wig. She showed me a picture and I told her that was a parody of The Iron Throne...and they have Daenerys (Dognerys) sitting on the Iron Bone (Game of Bones)...etc. I pulled out my handy iPad...scrolled to things...not there.

Thanks!

Someone earlier said this is only available for Apple products but I've had it on my Samsung since I bought the phone in April.

But an article online recently said the app would contain all TWoW sample chapters and the already published WoIaF excerpts but I am not seeing any of that content. Perhaps that is iPhone only?

Someone earlier said this is only available for Apple products but I've had it on my Samsung since I bought the phone in April.

But an article online recently said the app would contain all TWoW sample chapters and the already published WoIaF excerpts but I am not seeing any of that content. Perhaps that is iPhone only?

I do have the excerpts in my iPad/iPhone version.

Excerpts now include:

TWoW - Barristan Selmy I

TWoW - Tyrion I

TWoW - Mercy

TWoW - Theon Greyjoy

TWoW - Arianne Martell I

TWoIaF - Aegon's Conquest

TWoIaF - The Rhoynar

TWoIaF - The Vale

• 2 months later...

I've understood that the Cersei entry in the app states that she was 9 years old when Joanna caught her and Jaime in their sexual interactions. However, The World of Ice and Fire has confirmed that Jaime and Cersei were born in 266 AC, and Tyrion in 273 AC, meaning that Joanna died in 273 AC as well. That would make Cersei and Jaime seven years old at this occasion at the most, not nine.

• 1 month later...

A question for Ran:

The books state that Petyr Baelish was "scarcely fifteen" when he dueled Brandon Stark, and that he was "still shy of thirty" when meeting Catelyn in A Game of Thrones. The instance of "scarcely fifteen" occurs in 282 AC, and the "still shy of thirty" in 298 AC.

But he can't have been 15 years old in 282, and be younger than 30 in 298 AC (even if he will turn 30 after the mentioning in Catelyn's chapter). So I guess that Cat's "scarcely fifteen" is her rounding up Bealish' age.

So shouldn't the wording in the entry of Petyr Baelish ("...being little more than fifteen years of age...") and in the entry of Brandon Stark ("...still a boy of fifteen years...") then be changed a little, to reflect that Baelish wasn't actually fifteen, but younger? Or did I make a counting mistake somewhere?

A question for Ran:

The books state that Petyr Baelish was "scarcely fifteen" when he dueled Brandon Stark, and that he was "still shy of thirty" when meeting Catelyn in A Game of Thrones. The instance of "scarcely fifteen" occurs in 282 AC, and the "still shy of thirty" in 298 AC.

But he can't have been 15 years old in 282, and be younger than 30 in 298 AC (even if he will turn 30 after the mentioning in Catelyn's chapter). So I guess that Cat's "scarcely fifteen" is her rounding up Bealish' age.

So shouldn't the wording in the entry of Petyr Baelish ("...being little more than fifteen years of age...") and in the entry of Brandon Stark ("...still a boy of fifteen years...") then be changed a little, to reflect that Baelish wasn't actually fifteen, but younger? Or did I make a counting mistake somewhere?

You seem to be right, I don't see any counting mistake. But shouldn't Cat's mistake rather be in 298 ? By the time of the duel, she lived with Petyr, she remembers he was scarcely fifteen. In 298, she hasn't seen him since the duel, it seems more likely she didn't make the math there and estimated his age at a little less of thirty rather then a little more.

You seem to be right, I don't see any counting mistake. But shouldn't Cat's mistake rather be in 298 ? By the time of the duel, she lived with Petyr, she remembers he was scarcely fifteen. In 298, she hasn't seen him since the duel, it seems more likely she didn't make the math there and estimated his age at a little less of thirty rather then a little more.

Hmm.. that could also be. I figured that because of the use of "scarcely", and the fact that it was a memory, that that one was less trustworthy, but perhaps her memory now is making the counting error...

I don't think we have any idea to figure out which of the two is correct, right?

Hmm.. that could also be. I figured that because of the use of "scarcely", and the fact that it was a memory, that that one was less trustworthy, but perhaps her memory now is making the counting error...

I don't think we have any idea to figure out which of the two is correct, right?

Having gone over this one for a long time, the only conclusion I come to is that Martin is throwing in the occasional unreliable narrator to reflect the ambiguity he likes so much. This one and Ned's thoughts on Renly's age seem to fall in that category.

Having gone over this one for a long time, the only conclusion I come to is that Martin is throwing in the occasional unreliable narrator to reflect the ambiguity he likes so much. This one and Ned's thoughts on Renly's age seem to fall in that category.

O yeah, definitly. One at least one of the occasions, Catelyn is not being 100% factual. But if that is the case with the "scarcely fifteen", then I think the text in the app shouldn't state "a boy of fifteen", but something that leaves it more vague..

Archived