[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

While I agree that the Ginger thing that happens in these threads is goofy and confusing, it's hardly worth being the sole reason for registering on a message board just to shit on. It's the internet dude , what do you expect? Inside jokes and memes are easy to start, and those that are in on it think it's hilarious and those that aren't don't need to get angry about it. There was a meme like a year or so ago where people kept photoshopping eye glasses on GoT characters and then typed a bunch of nonsense on the picture. I was never able to figure out what it meant or why people thought it was funny, but I just figured I wasn't supposed to.

Woo-sah, homie.

It wasn't really the only reason I registered. Like I said, I've been reading this website for years (always about ASOIAF related topics only). It was just a coincidence that when I googled TD discussions, this website came up. I figured it'd be an interesting group of people to discuss TD with since I presume most ASOIAF fans are pretty sharp (and share my love for that series). I was right. This *is* the best place I've found to discuss TD. It just happens that it's littered with forum grab-assing about the ginger thing.

Thank you for feeling bad for me. It makes me feel better when you feel bad. You guys have won me over. I think this whole website you be turned into a huge ginger grab-ass festival. Someone sneak in and add some ginger jokes to the ASOIAF chaper summaries. It won't actually be funny, but it'll be hip because we're "in on it". :)

I feel bad that you have a personality that makes you think we should care about your whining.

It wasn't really the only reason I registered. Like I said, I've been reading this website for years (always about ASOIAF related topics only). It was just a coincidence that when I googled TD discussions, this website came up. I figured it'd be an interesting group of people to discuss TD with since I presume most ASOIAF fans are pretty sharp (and share my love for that series). I was right. This *is* the best place I've found to discuss TD. It just happens that it's littered with forum grab-assing about the ginger thing.

Can you please stop bringing up ASoIaF? It's annoying to have to sift through it to get to the Ginger content I come to this thread for.

As someone who has read the entire ASOIAF series and watched every GoT episode ~4 times, and lurked here for years, I registered partially because I was so annoyed by this asinine ginger-meme in this thread.

so you "been here a long, long, time"

you lurk

you appear to type with a British accent

your name: "star"written in black letters is black star

"v" is the roman numeral 5

so we have 5 black stars

"ing": a native English suffix meaning “one belonging to,” “of the kind of,” “one descended from”

so you are literally: one belonging to or of the 5 black stars

take off your mask we see you for who you are

you lurk

so we have 5 black stars

"ing": a native English suffix meaning “one belonging to,” “of the kind of,” “one descended from”

:bowdown:

I am enjoying the evolution of Maple.

small detail, but that dude talking in the promo just doesn't sound american. I know posters here said it's a Cajun accent, but it sounds Dutch or German to me. I don't think that makes any sort of difference to the story, it's just a minor point that's been nagging at me.

you lurk

so we have 5 black stars

I'm sorry, I'm just here to LIKE this. :laugh:

This has probably been discussed to death before, but am I the only one who had a problem with Marty's visit to his ex. Not so much the visit, but what(or who) they actually talk about. I didn't particularly find it believable that they'd talk about Rust so endearingly, I mean he did play a part in their separation. I would have gone quietly if Marty had had that convo with someone else, but his ex? No.

I'm sorry, I'm just here to LIKE this. :laugh:

This has probably been discussed to death before, but am I the only one who had a problem with Marty's visit to his ex. Not so much the visit, but what(or who) they actually talk about. I didn't particularly find it believable that they'd talk about Rust so endearingly, I mean he did play a part in their separation. I would have gone quietly if Marty had had that convo with someone else, but his ex? No.

Well, Maggie has no reason to harbor any ill will towards Rust. She used him after all, and she knows it. So there's really no reason that Maggie talking about Rust would be a touchy subject for her ten years later.

Marty probably wouldn't much want to discuss him but seeing how they've paired up again, it is hard to simply ignore the subject.

I took it to be that Marty and Maggie have really moved beyond animosity in their relationship. The bitterness and hatred isn't there anymore. It was moving that they were in a place where Maggie was genuinely concerned about Marty's outcome. Marty telling her "thanks" as his goodbye was really emotional to me. I thought Harrelson really nailed that character in that moment.

I took it to be that Marty and Maggie have really moved beyond animosity in their relationship. The bitterness and hatred isn't there anymore. It was moving that they were in a place where Maggie was genuinely concerned about Marty's outcome. Marty telling her "thanks" as his goodbye was really emotional to me. I thought Harrelson really nailed that character in that moment.

Agreed, however I'm still confused as to why he went there in the first place.

On a funnier note...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHWLpJRlBYA

you lurk

so we have 5 black stars

I wear no mask, innit?

Goodbye:

when Marty visits Maggie, she asks him if he is there to say "goodbye"

when Marty talks about grudges causing cancer, I always assume it is Marty that is sick

so ... fits with Maggie knowing about it possibly from the kids and wondering if he is there to say "goodbye"

but, like so much of this show, it could all mean very little

and, it could also be reversed and interpreted that Marty is talking about Maggie holding a grudge, she is sick, and that

is why she is asking him if he is there to say 'goodbye"

Accents: Errol speaks one way to Marty & Rust calls them "sir" and another way to Papania and partner "boss"

and

different than in episode 8 voiceover

so that is 3 different speech patterns

Archived