[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

Accents: Errol speaks one way to Marty & Rust calls them "sir" and another way to Papania and partner "boss"

and

different than in episode 8 voiceover

so that is 3 different speech patterns

His whole voice and accent changes in the line he says after the detective drive away. He's definitely playing some games with it.

Eta:

Also, a few people seem to be under the impression that the boat that putters by at the end is the one Rust and Marty have the deputy guy on. It's not; it's a workboat of some kind.

As for Woody and the videotape scene, I think the problem was the writing. As a seasoned detective (who just recounted a story about finding a baby's remains in a microwave), the reaction was a little over the top. His shock and outrage led me to believe it was evidence of Audrey's abuse when I first saw the promo

I think watching a child be raped and possibly murdered would be worse than finding a microwaved baby. At least you didn't have to watch the baby get microwaved and hear it scream. Also as he's watching the tape he's accepting the fact that he majorly fucked up in killing Ledoux, and allowed these people to get away.

I think watching a child be raped and possibly murdered would be worse than finding a microwaved baby. At least you didn't have to watch the baby get microwaved and hear it scream. Also as he's watching the tape he's accepting the fact that he majorly fucked up in killing Ledoux, and allowed these people to get away.

Yeah that's how I saw it.

On the Woody Harellson's acting discussion: while I don't think the tape scene was overacted at all, I couldn't help but laugh when he discovered the baby in the microwave because the face he makes is basically the same as

That baby is really cute. :-)

Yes, and I would imagine that watching it occur is worse than finding it after the fact, although both scenarios are horrifiying.

Honestly the baby in microwave thing felt forced to me. Or at least a bit melodramatic.

Though there seems to be a running theme of people getting high and hurting kids going on.

That, and when he was telling it, it didn't come across as being that big of a deal. At first, I thought he was lying to avoid telling Rust why he really left the force.

ETA: I am not saying babies in microwaves are not a big deal - but Marty just seemed a little...removed from it, if you know what I mean.

Woody Harrelson's acting was phenomenal in the last episode, what are you guys talking about? Sure, the tape scene it self might have felt a bit...I dunno, forced, but Woody did the best he could have done with the close up on his face, which I think was out of place.

I have no problems with the acting. It's top notch. But every time I close my eyes and listen to Woody speaking during the show, I expect to see Larry Flynt standing there...I'm sure it's just me...

Now I'm not sure which is the greatest thing ever. Ginger? Or the fact that there are people who get pissy about Ginger love? Toss up at this point.

A small part of me wants to believe that some of the South Park writers are out there lurking on this board and seeing the LOVE that there is for Ginger and them coming up with an appropriate episode with Ginger...it's fitting I think...

Ya know, a lot of us know GRRM. And talk to him somewhat regularly. We could probably get him to add someone named Ginger who is left in a ditch somewhere.

R+L=G?

Both of these ideas need to be gotten to GRRM post haste! :p

ETA: I am not saying babies in microwaves are not a big deal - but Marty just seemed a little...removed from it, if you know what I mean.

Yeah. I also didn't mean to downplay the horribleness of a microwaved baby.

It's funny to think about what was actually on the rest of that VHS tape they made for that scene. That little girl actress was probably having fun being blindfolded and getting to play reindeer. When the camera cuts away from the little TV to Marty's horrified reaction she's probably laughing and rolling around in the grass or something.

His whole voice and accent changes in the line he says after the detective drive away. He's definitely playing some games with it.

Eta:

Also, a few people seem to be under the impression that the boat that putters by at the end is the one Rust and Marty have the deputy guy on. It's not; it's a workboat of some kind.

I didn't even notice that boat in my first viewing (I must have walked off assuming it was over), but I noticed it yesterday and it was definitely conspiciously placed - peaking through the trees right as the scene ends. ...and it wasn't the same type of boat rust and marty are on with the jumper cables. It looked like a tugboat.

I didn't even notice that boat in my first viewing (I must have walked off assuming it was over), but I noticed it yesterday and it was definitely conspiciously placed - peaking through the trees right as the scene ends. ...and it wasn't the same type of boat rust and marty are on with the jumper cables. It looked like a tugboat.

They're on the Mississippi - there are tugboats everywhere. I may be wrong, but I attached zero significance to a tugboat on the Mississippi. You see them nonstop on the river.

The Mississippi River has very few pleasure boats - they're all basically barges and tugs.

So back when we met Mr. Lawnmower man the first time I posited that part of the reason he has a lawnmower is so that he can drown out any screams etc. from the rituals/torture/CP they're doing nearby. Could be that they're up to something on that boat?

ST

a thought on the Devil Catchers.

sorry if this has been brought up before, but the fact that there were 5 of them coincide with the whole 5 horsemen theory. Assuming Tuttle and Childress were present at the killing, these devil catchers suggest that the ritual is in part some sort of exorcising of the killers' demons. They dress up to disassociate themselves from the crime and allow their primal/carnal/sinful urges an outlet. The devil catchers may then be conduits for the killers' demons, cleansing the policeman/reverend/upstanding citizen of the sin in order to exist in the real world as righteous. With that being said, other horsemen may be prominent figures we've perhaps already been introduced to in the show i.e. Maggie's dad. Admittedly, this would stir up a lot of extra content for one final hour of the story, but it would tie up Marty's daughter's behavior.

a thought on the Devil Catchers.

sorry if this has been brought up before, but the fact that there were 5 of them coincide with the whole 5 horsemen theory. Assuming Tuttle and Childress were present at the killing, these devil catchers suggest that the ritual is in part some sort of exorcising of the killers' demons. They dress up to disassociate themselves from the crime and allow their primal/carnal/sinful urges an outlet. The devil catchers may then be conduits for the killers' demons, cleansing the policeman/reverend/upstanding citizen of the sin in order to exist in the real world as righteous. With that being said, other horsemen may be prominent figures we've perhaps already been introduced to in the show i.e. Maggie's dad. Admittedly, this would stir up a lot of extra content for one final hour of the story, but it would tie up Marty's daughter's behavior.

Well now that we know the spiral drawn by one of Marty's daughters was a mistake rather than a clue, and we have a good possibility Marty hallucinated the doll rape scene, I'm not sure there is a huge connection to the cult.

Audrey may have just been a girl with mental issues based in brain chemistry whose father basically ignored her while he was off chasing women to have affairs with.

My question is based on the fact that kellhus knows they are against him. Why? Is it because kellhus grasping the absolute and becoming the god of gods renders them moot. Or that they will be shut out when he reaches the absolute. Therefore, in theory his goals align with the consult regardless if he has accepted this or not.

There is zero possibility that he hallucinated the result. Y'all are making a giant molehill out of a blocking error. We already know the spirals in the house were not intended. Not everything in this show has meaning for its own sake.

what did I miss? How did Marty hallucinate something? What about his daughter's drawings? One looks a lot like Errol Childress. Are these 'clues' really just the detective's curse? Projecting their case into their daily life. I can buy that, that the detectives become so obsessed with the crime that they can't help but see unwarranted correlations everywhere they look.

Show me where my specific points have been brought up before on this forum. They are all fresh.

I'm not sure what you are adding to this discussion though... but thanks for taking the time to complain.

No. They are not fresh. Do you know that this is version 8 of this thread? Are you aware that threads close at 400 posts? Not including this thread, there are 2800 posts about TD. 2800 posts. Carcosa? There are hundreds and hundreds of posts about Carcosa. About Ginger? there are thousands!! Anyway, I recommend you read the other threads. They started shortly before the first episode. I think you will find interesting, well thought out, often funny posts. So no, your points aren't fresh.

Archived