Crucifixion of the slavers.

latariox3

"How many?" one old woman had asked, sobbing. "How many must you have to spare us?"

"One hundred and sixty-three," she answered.

She had them nailed to wooden posts around the plaza, each man pointing at the next. The anger was fierce and hot inside her when she gave the command; it made her feel like an avenging dragon. But later, when she passed the men dying on the posts, when she heard their moans and smelled their bowels and blood . . .

Dany put the glass aside, frowning. It was just. It was. I did it for the children.

I'm a bit disturbed that Dany never bothered to check if the 163 crucified were the perpetrators of crucifying those children just to spite Dany. Even more disturbed that it never bother Daenerys' conscience if she just punished people who were innocent of the crime she was punishing them for.

Of course this is my first reading of Storm so maybe I skipped over a few lines. Have I?

She hung slavers. That's it. The Yunkai'i slavers did hang the children as a warning. No one seemed upset by it, so she must have assumed it was agreed upon by all of them, she was blind for both pity of the kids and her own anger. It shows some of Dany's sort of wicked sense of justice and freedom, something she tells herself in late ASoS.

She's just a kid, though. I remember not knowing what to think of her as well.

"How many?" one old woman had asked, sobbing. "How many must you have to spare us?"

"One hundred and sixty-three," she answered.

She had them nailed to wooden posts around the plaza, each man pointing at the next. The anger was fierce and hot inside her when she gave the command; it made her feel like an avenging dragon. But later, when she passed the men dying on the posts, when she heard their moans and smelled their bowels and blood . . .

Dany put the glass aside, frowning. It was just. It was. I did it for the children.

I'm a bit disturbed that Dany never bothered to check if the 163 crucified were the perpetrators of crucifying those children just to spite Dany. Even more disturbed that it never bother Daenerys' conscience if she just punished people who were innocent of the crime she was punishing them for.

Of course this is my first reading of Storm so maybe I skipped over a few lines. Have I?

The first bold part kinda explains what is bold later. She did have second thoughts about it, even though at first she felt it was just. But she forced herself to think what she did it was fair.

• 2 weeks later...

This might not have to do much with the crucifixions themselves but this portrays the fact that Dany does have cruelty in her, which makes me wonder if she's going to end up just like her father.

Remember, in his youth the mad king was charming, loved, in general considered to be a good king until he grew older and the defiance at duskendale occurred...now, since it is fact that the blood of the dragon has a taint, I wonder if in the end will Dany end up as a "mad queen"? It would be an interesting twist in the story to have someone be forced to kill her because she's unleashing her dragons on KL (or any other place) and wants everyone dead. As I don't see much point to putting her on the iron throne and be done with it since as far as we know she's barren, thus when she died there's a chance of another civil war over the throne and it's certainly very much like GRRM to make turn a character from hero to antagonist and vice versa

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a fan of Danny, she is little bit "mother teresa" to a level of annoying, and the people around her all love her and do their best to help and support her, she must be Martins' most favorite character, but that also makes her less likable

I like Dany enough but still can't believe she sent Jorah away. He may have been informing on her brother to begin with but she has to know that now there is simply no one who is, or will ever be, as loyal to her as him. Of course he's one of my favorite characters so I may be a bit biased.

I like Dany enough but still can't believe she sent Jorah away. He may have been informing on her brother to begin with but she has to know that now there is simply no one who is, or will ever be, as loyal to her as him. Of course he's one of my favorite characters so I may be a bit biased.

Dany is just too lucky to be likable

Archived