ASOIAF meets Magic: The Gathering

I've wanted to make various fandom-themed Magic: The Gathering cards for ages, and have finally started with ASOIAF. When finished, I estimate this set to have at least 250 cards, including a huge variety of characters, as well as artifacts, lands, and spells.

Here's a preview of a few cards:

Daenerys Targaryen

Tyrion Lannister

Jon Snow

Vaes Dothrak

Wildfire

If you guys have any suggestions for cards or particular abilities for characters, I'd love to hear them! And if you've made your own, or know of a great set, please share!

Pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having a Wildfire card in my collection.

How did you choose to configure the colors? Based on your samples I can gather --

Red -- Targaryen/Dothraki

Blue -- Lannister

White -- North

Black -- ?

Green -- ?

Colorless -- ?

It wouldn't make as much sense, but I feel like it'd be pretty cool to connect each color to a different God. Red/R'hllor, Blue/Drowned God, White/The Seven, Green/The Old Gods, Black/The Others, Colorless/The Many-Faced God? Like I said it doesn't make as much sense but it's a fun idea.

I made some Avatar: The Last Airbender magic cards once. I've always found it really hokey how every different franchise invariably concocts it's own half-baked thinly-veiled bastardization of MTG. It's always funny to see what word they use for "tap," what they use for mana, etc. Wizards of the Coast should have just started making licensing deals 20 years ago. That'd be better for everyone because the franchises would get a high quality and reputable set of cards, and MTG would be pulling in new players with every new franchise they come out with. Naturally the cards would be only playable within their own set, like Unglued, so they don't have to worry about the balance or integrity of the main set.

How did you choose to configure the colors?

I'm trying to fit the qualities of individual characters with the qualities of magic colors and combinations. Tyrion is absolutely blue, as knowledge, manipulation, and control are qualities of blue magic. Cersei, however, is red/black—impulse, passion, and destruction from red, power and self-preservation from black.

The abilities I want to give each character also factor in to their color; for instance, you might think Melisandre would be red (they call her the Red Woman, after all), but she is a sorceress and a prophet and can create shadow assassins, and this will be reflected in her abilities, which are blue and black abilities. So, Melisandre is blue/black.

It wouldn't make as much sense, but I feel like it'd be pretty cool to connect each color to a different God. Red/R'hllor, Blue/Drowned God, White/The Seven, Green/The Old Gods, Black/The Others, Colorless/The Many-Faced God? Like I said it doesn't make as much sense but it's a fun idea.

I will be making the gods (though I haven't yet decided if I want them to be planeswalkers or enchantment creatures, like the gods in Theros), and along the lines of those colors. Depending on the abilities I give them, R'hllor may end up being red/blue and the Drowned God blue/black.

Archived