Super Hero novels

MisterOJ

So in the past couple of months, I have read the first three of Peter Clines Ex-Heroes novels and Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson.

I am aware of the Wild Cards series and read the first 5-6 of those 20-plus years ago. I may try out the newer ones in that series. Outside of these books, though, I'm not really aware of any other novels about comic book style super heroes. Is there any others that are worth checking out? I know there are some Marvel and DC super hero novels out there, are any of them worthwhile too?

I got into the genre a little after my adventures with Mr. Cline (fucking awesome books by the way, read the all), and very few are as good as his, however, here is a list of some you might like:

Santa Olivia by Mrs. Carey: Beautifully written, and entertaining. Never got around to reading the sequel. http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Olivia-Jacqueline-Carey-ebook/dp/B00290SZ5Q/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1394211378&sr=8-13&keywords=jacqueline+carey

After the Golden Age: Good, didn't blow me away. http://www.amazon.com/After-Golden-Age-Carrie-Vaughn-ebook/dp/B00457X8EE/ref=la_B001I9NAEA_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394211449&sr=1-9

Vicious: Goo take on the 'bad guy' http://www.amazon.com/Vicious-V-E-Schwab-ebook/dp/B00CQY7WBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394211480&sr=1-1&keywords=vicious

Soon I will be Invincible: Was alright. http://www.amazon.com/Soon-Invincible-Vintage-Austin-Grossman/dp/0307279863?tag=io9amzn-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|www.google.com[type|link[postId|1455155147[asin|0307279863[authorId|5717343349271019063

If I can think of any more.. i'll post them.

There are a handful. I'll list several that I've read; don't take this as endorsement, as the quality is highly variable, and the superhero genre is very fiddly as far as suspension of disbelief goes. What flies for one person as silliness or satire may be a book-tossing moment for another. But I finished all of these, and Ex-Heroes bored me out of my mind in the first few chapters, so take that as you will.

Carrie Vaughn - After the Golden Age and Dreams of the Golden Age

Seanan McGuire - Velveteen vs. Everything

Mur Lafferty - Playing for Keeps

David J. Schwartz - Superpowers

Austin Grossman - Soon I Will Be Invincible

Caitlin Kittredge & Jackie Kessler - Black and White and Shades of Grey

Jennifer Estep - Karma Girl, Hot Mama, Jinx, Nightingale (these are romance novels)

Kelly Meding - Trance, Changeling

Vicki Pettersson - The Scent of Shadows and sequels - very unusual take on superhero tropes

Shannon Hale - Dangerous (YA)

I got into the genre a little after my adventures with Mr. Cline (fucking awesome books by the way, read the all), and very few are as good as his, however,

Have you read the fourth one yet? It's only been out a month or two, I think.

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because the synopsis of it sounded really stupid. I'll probably get around to it sooner or later, but the description of the book really turned me off.

Have you read the fourth one yet? It's only been out a month or two, I think.

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet because the synopsis of it sounded really stupid. I'll probably get around to it sooner or later, but the description of the book really turned me off.

I read it the day it came out.

I dug it.

The set up did seem a little suspect at first, but it works well with the over all story line. It was interesting to see how he worked the 'imaginary' world in to the novel. I liked it.

I'd read anything in that world of his. I've tried to read some of his southern vampire novels, but didn't really like them all that much. I do love that zombie/superhero shit though.

I'd add Turbulence by Samit Basu to the list. It's a solid entry to the genre.

I absolutely love that book. It hit the sweet spot for me - joyous and smart and heartfelt and funny and absolutely ringing with love for the genre while being aware of its flaws.

There's a sequel coming along at some point. I hope it manages the same.

I got into the genre a little after my adventures with Mr. Cline (fucking awesome books by the way, read the all), and very few are as good as his, however, here is a list of some you might like:

Santa Olivia by Mrs. Carey: Beautifully written, and entertaining. Never got around to reading the sequel. http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Olivia-Jacqueline-Carey-ebook/dp/B00290SZ5Q/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1394211378&sr=8-13&keywords=jacqueline+carey

I'll second Santa Olivia, I just read it and it's pretty good.

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis. Essentially an alternate WWII story with Nazi X-men facing off against British Warlocks. It's a trilogy with the other two novels titled The Coldest War and Necessary Evil. Good stuff.

Masked is an anthology of Superhero short stories collected by Lou Anders. I especially enjoyed "The Non-Event" by Mike Carey, the tale of a superpowered bank robbery gone bad, as told from the perspective of one of the supervillians.

I've read a few novelizations of DC comics "event" storylines. I remember loving The Death and Life of Superman but I was also around 18yo when I read it. I also thought Knightfall was really good too as well as No Man's Land. I also read the Infinite Crisis novelization but thought that sucked.

Also if you all ready read the actual comics these books were based on you probably wouldn't find the novels very interesting, but if you haven't I'd give them a shot.

I mentioned it in the Urban Fantasy thread but I recently read "Justice" by Jennifer Harlow and really enjoyed it. The ebook on amazon is only $3.99. Its from the POV of a female police detective. Superhero wise, the first book in the trilogy mainly focuses on the one main superhero in her city but in the second book it expands to bring in a few more. Both involve a super villain and the efforts of the main character along with the superhero/es to hunt it down.

Worm.

Pretty good, has the advantage of costing $0.

Seconded - though don't read that link! It goes to the final chapter. Start here instead. It's about a girl who's gained the superpower of controlling insects, and sets out to become a hero.

Some superhero books that haven't been mentioned yet (and some of the them are rather arguable):

Prepare to Die! by Paul Tobin

All My Friends Are Super Heroes by Andrew Kaufman

Only Superhuman by Christopher L. Bennett

No Peace for the Damned by Megan Powell

The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson

Wearing the Cape by Marion G. Harmon

The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea M. Campbell

Nobody Gets the Girl by James Maxey

Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Coreira

I've only read Prepare to Die! by Paul Tobin which was pretty good but I thought the sex part of the title was handled poorly and the first Grimnoir book, Hard Magic, which is a lot of fun. It's set in an alt history 1930s with very strong pulp and steampunk influence.

Archived